wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Jenkins says his days with Packers all but over 

The Green Bay Packers chose not to use a franchise or transition tag on any of their impending free agents and for defensive end Cullen Jenkins it means just one thing:

He's out of here.

After the deadline passed Thursday afternoon for NFL teams to apply the restrictive tag to their free agents, Jenkins said his chances of remaining with the Packers were slim and none.

"I'm 99% sure something won't happen," Jenkins said when asked in a phone interview from his home in Michigan whether there was a chance the Packers could re-sign him before the start of free agency. "Not at this point. You get to a point where you want to go where you feel you're wanted.

"The way everything came down, it's just time for a new start."

More than a dozen teams applied the tags to individual free agents, fearful that they wouldn't get deals done with their best players before the start of free agency on March 4. There's a good chance free agency won't start on time because of a work stoppage, but the tags would likely be in effect when the two sides finally do come to an agreement.

It's not surprising that the Packers didn't franchise Jenkins, their best inside pass rusher and a staple on the defensive line since 2004. He is generally considered the best of the Packers scheduled to become a free agent, but the price to put the franchise tag on him would have been around $12 million for one year.

The franchise tag would have prohibited Jenkins from shopping himself on the free-agent market. The Packers also could have used the less expensive transition tag (about $10 million) to guarantee they would have the right to match an offer he received from another team.

Instead, they chose not to use either tag.

"It's just part of the decision-making process," general manager Ted Thompson said during a break at the NFL scouting combine. "We chose not to use it this time."

Speaking before Jenkins had made his remarks, Thompson said he had not given up on re-signing any of the team's free agents before the signing period begins. Whether that is March 4 or later will depend on whether the players and owners can negotiate a collective bargaining agreement.

Jenkins wasn't necessarily expecting the Packers to put the tag on him. He said it has been clear since the end of the 2009 season that the club was not interested in signing him long-term and that his future was going to be somewhere else.

"We've gone for so long," Jenkins said. "We approached them last off-season about doing an extension and we haven't heard anything. You would think you would have received an offer by now.

"It's just one of those things where they have other plans. They showed that in the way they went about it. It's time for me and my family to look at options somewhere else. Whenever they get the CBA done, I'll get out there and see what the situation is."

Asked if he thought the Packers could still convince him to stay, Jenkins said it wouldn't be easy.

"You know obviously that you never close the door completely," he said. "But it will be real tough."

Even though Jenkins has been the team's best pass-rushing defensive lineman - he has 29 sacks in seven years, including 14 in his last three - he is 30 years old and has missed 17 games over the last three seasons due to injury. He missed five games in 2010 with a recurring calf injury. Jenkins made $3.5 million in the final year of a four-year, $16 million deal last season.

His role has been limited more to an inside pass rusher in nickel situations - the Packers play nickel more than 70% of the time. He was replaced by run-stuffing Howard Green on early downs after coming back from his injury.

Despite the reduction in snaps, Jenkins finished second behind linebacker Clay Matthews in quarterback pressures and was versatile enough to play both inside in a 4-3 setup and end in a 3-4. The ability to play both positions should broaden the number of teams that are interested in him and possibly create bidding that could result in a big contract .

As for the future, the Packers are high on defensive linemen Mike Neal and C.J. Wilson, both rookies in 2010, and may feel they can get by fine without Jenkins.

Neal was a force in the Washington game after overcoming a side injury early in the year, but he tore his rotator cuff the next week in practice and was lost for the season. The injuries to the tightly muscled Neal may raise a red flag and result in them drafting another end.

The only other player who probably drew some consideration for the franchise / transition tag was kicker Mason Crosby. It would have cost the Packers around $3 million to keep him for this season and it probably didn't make sense to spend that much on him.

Franchise salaries are based on the average of the five highest-paid players at a position from the year before. Transition is the average of the 10 highest-paid players.

Crosby will have a chance to find out how he's viewed around the league if a deal isn't reached with the Packers. He connected on 78.6% of his field goals this year to raise his career mark to 78.1 He is 1 for 4 in game-winning kicks in his career.

Among the Packers' other free agents are receiver James Jones, safety Atari Bigby, safety Charlie Peprah, running back Brandon Jackson, guard Daryn Colledge, center Jason Spitz and running back John Kuhn.

UserPostedImage
DakotaT
13 years ago
Bye Bye Cullen. Enjoy the overpaid contract you are about to sign with Washington or Dallas. You were a very good Packer and congratulations on helping win the title. Your replacements are already on the team and we will survive just fine without you.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
Ouch!
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
RajiRoar
13 years ago
Pain!

well, i'd feel alot worse if he wasn't injured so often.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Wamzlee
13 years ago
He sounds a bit offended for not getting an extension done. But perhaps being a product of the Sherman era and the switch to the 3-4, Thompson feels he should have a new start elsewhere too.
blank
doddpower
13 years ago
He can be offended all he wants, but the reality is it's a business decision. The Packers are not obligated to give this guy a new contract. If they don't think it's in the teams best interest, then they just can't do it. I'm sure it's nothing personal, but just the way it is. I hope he understands this and doesn't continue to come off as somewhat offended by this decision.
Kingkoopa
13 years ago
Jenkins is taking this way too personally. It's strictly business. He's been injured a lot over the years, and we have a lot of depth on the D-line. Especially with Johnny Jolly coming back. Every single one of his quotes sound like hurt feelings to me.
blank
DakotaT
13 years ago
I'm offended that he thinks he should get a monster contract from a guy he watched build a super bowl champion from the draft. He should have seen the writing on the wall when the ink was drying on Big Greasy's contract - which I thought was ludicrous at the time too.

It was the same situation with Clifton and Wahle. I think we chose the right guy then too.

The one thing Jenkins brings that I'm slightly concerned about replacing is his bull pass rush. Neal has already showed the skill set though.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
13 years ago
Well.....being as Ted Thompson hasn't proven that he knows what he's doing.........sorry, couldn't say that with a straight face!!!LOL!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
How can any NFL Player be offended at a lack of contract right now? There's no damn CBA to base the new contract off of. You do a contract now, it's pretty stupid because you don't know the future of the salary cap or anything like that.

If the Packers intended on signing him, I'm sure they'd have contact with him saying, hey once the CBA details are finalized, we'll start talking contract.

Have the Packers spoke to any current player about a contract? I'd assume some lower salaried players, but players whom would demand a higher payroll, not likely.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (8h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.