Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Okay, so I try to avoid doing this, because I know my problems are petty compared to those of most everyone.

However, I'm going to rant a little here on how irritating some aspects of 'corporate' pisses me off.

Feb 2010, my laptop, Dell D820, took a dive. Since day one, its blue screened, errored and other issues. We replaced nearly every part. Back to Feb 2010, it completely wiped out everything. Well, I did. It would not start up at all, no matter what we did. I took the majority of my files and rebuild the computer, software wise. It took me over two weeks.

I contacted my manager at the time, Jeff, told him of the issue. He says we're not issuing new laptops, we're recycling the ones from staff reductions. Help Desk says they are prepping me a different Dell D820. It took them three weeks ...THREE FUCKING WEEKS, to get it to me and it was NOT set up at all! It didn't even have visual studio on it.

Keep in mind, at the time I was the ONLY person supporting the entire Green Bay plant's internal software. Three of those programs were running off VB6. I need that program to support the plant in case of any issues or changes. I had a Visual Studio 6 install CD, they took it and sent it to Greeley, CO. So I asked them if they can send me an ISO on the share drive or if they can copy the CD and send it to me. They COULDN'T FIND THE DAMN DISC THEY TOOK! I, pissed off decided to use my College edition until they found it. (btw, they still haven't found it).

So after my laptop died, and they said they'd send me one, I got impatient. Big surprise huh? I kept tinkering with my d820 until I got it stable, then proceeded setting it up. This bit me in the ass, but really I had no damn choice. If the plant went down and I needed to make a change, what the hell was I gonna do? I absolutely hate being unprepared with a passion unmatched by anything.

I've been using the same d820 the last year, with no real technical issues. It does tear when I move boxes, it starts up slow, takes 6-7 minutes to shut down, opens programs slower than a 98 yr old woman crossing Main St and does some goofy things that I just can't explain. It's a solid laptop for a regular user. Unfortunately, and I don't mean to sound arrogant here, but I push the shit out of my machine as do most programmers. I need something that will keep up with me.

Get this ... I've been with the company over three years, moved my family 1000 miles to continue working for them. Yes, they paid me so I am not complaining, its a great experience, minus missing Green Bay during the Super Bowl, of course.

This girl just out of college has been here six months, she's very attractive. She gets a new laptop after someone says whoa your laptop is old an slow. So she had to jump through no hurdles, no suffering from losing damn near everything and starting over and she's a web developer! She's not doing WPF, production applications, nah nothing like that. So I ask my manager, twice, can I get an upgrade?

I've asked in Feb '10, Apr '10, Oct '10 and Dec '10. The last time I asked because I was told what our budget SPENT this year, is what it will be NEXT year. So, common sense tells me we should spend money so we have more allocated to us the following year. "hey boss new laptop eh?" DENIED!

Now, that brings us to today. Green Bay had a position eliminated, happens the laptop is better than mine. HP 6550b ProBook. A guy there who knows my problems with my d820 sends it to me to use. I fearing castration go through the proper channels and I'm told essentially no. I have to submit a request and wait and wait.

One would think, hey submit your request and let it happen dude. Thing is, and again, not to sound superior here, but I am pretty good with computers and getting the most out of them and that's going to work against me. I don't complain to anyone when there's an issue with my laptop, I find ways around it, I make do with what I have. And that is going to be why I am denied ... I feel.

So I'm writing up my request, and I know I've gotten far too technical for the review team. Isn't that sad? A fricking programmer knows MORE about computers than the god damn help desk? I know this for a fact because I sat down there with them for an hour and helped THEM fix issues they could not do themselves! They wanted to pass the buck to the next person, I was like yo dude wait man, did they recently do an upgrade on their Office? If so, have them get the conversion tool for '07 or wait don't have them restart have them clear their cache and reopen the browser. Several minor things like that they just did not want to try. Oh, then on one issue they called an AS/400 fella about an issue and ironically enough he says "That's Kevin's issues not mine" ... POW, no bitch it is YOUR issue because it's Plainwell's AS/400 Combo! Do you think a BOX is going to have 2,196 fucking pounds in it you half wit? No, that's a COMBO and Plainwell uses a thin client with YOUR lame AS/400 program on it.

Okay, I strayed from the initial point. I need a better laptop and they won't give me one. I'm hoping I can be crafty enough with my words to convince them to allow me to keep the 6550b.

It's just frustrating man. I spend over 50 hours a week here, I spent a weekend writing a new program because the business failed in their discovery and was in the office past 2am on a Saturday. I'm the one of the first ones in IT (over 100 ppl) in the building and sometimes the last to leave.

Is asking for a better laptop really asking for too much? Maybe I should slap some lipstick on, shave my legs and giggle all fucking day long instead of pounding out RESULTS for the company.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
Put it in logic that they can understand.. detail the amount of time lost using a old machine vs the 6550b... do it in minutes per day and total the dollars lost per week..

Quantify those numbers into a year approach to prove out that keeping the 6550b is the more efficient route to take.. especially since it costs no new budget dollars spent.

They can then take that number and roll it into their quarterly budget reviews easily and without much effort..

It works.. done it for years.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Porforis
13 years ago
Do you still need CDs/ISOs for Visual Studio 6? I got them through my college about 5 years back so they don't require a CD key or anything, they're on a site licsence. I'm missing one of the CDs (It's probably at my parents' house) but I have enough to let you install VB6 and I think C++. I also have the MSDN Library discs if you need them.

Also, I have need of my laptop for another 6 months but I do have a Dell D830 (core 2 duo@2.0ghz, dedicated video, 2GB RAM) that I'd be willing to sell on the cheap to you if your company's still screwing you 6 months down the line. Although if it gets to that point you might want to consider a sex change operation, it's apparent they make exceptions for hot chicks.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
The Help Desk manager is cool with me, he was my "cubicle" neighbor for a couple months when I first got here. I told him I sent in my request and that I had little to no confidence of it being approved.

He replied "Put your confidence in my hands and watch me build your TRUST bank :)"

So we'll see ... not getting my hopes up ... but I even offered to help by the extra 2GB of RAM. Like Shawn said, they don't have to add the laptop the budget and it helps me out tremendously. I'd think this is a slam dunk, but this is me we're talking and slam dunks tend to bite me in the britches when I get over confident about it.

Edit, and thanks but I don't think they'd allow me to use another Dell. We've switched to HP. And if they're going to let me use a laptop they didn't purchase, I'd like to use my current personal laptop. HP G60. Even that one is far better than this.
UserPostedImage
macbob
13 years ago

Maybe I should slap some lipstick on, shave my legs and giggle all fucking day long...

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Yours is a better visual, but I would think wearing a black trenchcoat and sunglasses while asking might get a more favorable outcome... 🙂
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
Zero, do you have any problems with the lid hinges? Both mine and my wife's' laptop lid hinges are breaking off. Maybe you would losen yours and tell them it won't last another month.

If 93Z's suggestion doesn't work crash the system and tell them you can't get it back up without and upgrade.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
13 years ago

Zero, do you have any problems with the lid hinges? Both mine and my wife's' laptop lid hinges are breaking off. Maybe you would losen yours and tell them it won't last another month.

If 93Z's suggestion doesn't work crash the system and tell them you can't get it back up without and upgrade.

"wpr" wrote:

What do you mean by the hinges breaking off? Usually the screws that hold the hinges to the frame loosen over time and that eventually will cause the screws to strip or the hinge to get damaged. Usually it's pretty easy to get at the screws, just need to remove a plastic panel that's protecting them.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
The display screen does wobble. It fluxes about half inch if I were to cough with it on my lap.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
13 years ago

The display screen does wobble. It fluxes about half inch if I were to cough with it on my lap.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Yep, you've got a screw loose. On the hinges, I mean 😉
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Time for a new one! :thumbright:
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (2h) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (2h) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.