macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
I liked Mike's quote on his strategic plan/design for press conferences...

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110322/PKR01/110322093/McCarthy-New-challenges-come-with-winning-title 

NEW ORLEANS Anyone worried about the Green Bay Packers becoming big-headed after winning the Super Bowl should have witnessed the scene Tuesday morning at the NFL annual meetings.

At the coaches breakfast, Mike McCarthy went almost unnoticed.

In fact, about a half hour into the 75-minute session and after only one national media member had come to his table, the Packers coach quipped: Did we win the Super Bowl or what?

Truth be told, McCarthy likes it that way.

I think its a product of how I handle my press conferences, its all working out very well, McCarthy joked. Im stiff, by design.

In reality, he was loose and relaxed even after a few more members of the national media stopped at his table. Even then, there never were more than three out-of-state reporters at his table. The total number of non-Wisconsin media interested in talking to him during the entire session was 10.

Its too early to know how the Packers victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl XLV a little more than six weeks ago will change McCarthy, quarterback Aaron Rodgers or any other key members of the football operations. McCarthy said Tuesday thats he aware of the pitfalls that Super Bowl winners can stumble into following their crowning achievement.

Ill say this, in my experience, just my opinion, do people change with success? Yeah, I think it happens, McCarthy said. But also the biggest thing is it changes how people treat you and come at you, too. Thats the biggest adjustment that Ive learned throughout my career. Just being named the head coach of the Green Bay Packers, thats a level of success.

Perhaps if the NFL lockout wasnt the black cloud that hung over the two-day meetings at the Roosevelt Hotel, more people would have approached McCarthy. But just because it hasnt happened yet doesnt mean the 47-year-old coach hasnt tried to anticipate how his players and coaches might change because of the Super Bowl.

Weve achieved team success at the highest level, and Im a big believer that every level you hit brings new devils, McCarthy said. Definitely, there will be some new challenges that come with winning the Super Bowl. Were anticipating it. Its something well talk about and keep in the forefront as a football team because to me, thats where Ive seen failure. Whether its a guy getting a new contract or a guy getting a new opportunity or a coach thats now getting more attention, it touches everybody.

Its not just the players. Weve got to handle success as an organization. Its a responsibility that we have to be in tune with. One thing about our organization is we have a little experience handling world championships, so Im not as concerned about that. Ill be watching for it for sure, but Im not going to overreact to it, either.

Some who were around the Packers following their consecutive Super Bowl appearances in the 1990s believe then-coach Mike Holmgren changed. He left for total control of the Seattle Seahawks following the 1998 season. For his part, McCarthy, who signed a new five-year contract earlier this month, says he has not changed and will not change.

I would like to think I am (the same), he said. Im a family man, a father, a husband, a son and a football coach. Thats really my priorities, and that wont change. My family keeps me very grounded. I love the home life (his wife) Jessica and I have created. Im very comfortable in Green Bay. Coaching in the NFL is a selfish professions as far as the time commitment that it takes to be successful, and your family really makes the sacrifices. But I think Im a better person today than I was five years ago when I took the job because my family atmosphere has improved.

What about his quarterback?

Aaron Rodgers star has risen since being named the MVP of Super Bowl XLV. But after all Rodgers went through having to wait until late in the first round to be drafted in 2005, sitting behind Brett Favre for three seasons and then replacing the legendary quarterback McCarthy doesnt think this will faze him, either.

I think hes very grounded, McCarthy said. He established a hell of a foundation preparing for this moment, so I dont think theres ever going to be anything too big for Aaron.

If anything, McCarthy plans to push the low-key Rodgers even more to come to the forefront.

Hes definitely someone that Im going to lean on to be the same guy and continue to grow as a leader, McCarthy said. I thought he did an exceptional job as a leader and in his growth, and hes got more in front of him. I know he understands that, and its not a one-man show.

Like McCarthy, General Manager Ted Thompson, who worked with Holmgren both with the Packers and Seahawks, is well aware of what happens to some teams and some people after experiencing success.

Thats one of the things we addressed with the team before we all broke, and its something Ive addressed with the executive committee members is that handling success is not an easy task, Thompson said. This is a really tough business, so it will be a bigger challenge than what we went through.

More from Packers coach Mike McCarthy
Here are some other comments from McCarthys session with the media on Tuesday at the coaches breakfast at the NFL annual meetings.

He spoke on:

Whether the lockout has dampened the Super Bowl afterglow: I would say no to your question for the simple fact that this isnt something thats a one-month or a three-month celebration. Not that were going to keep running around the streets as a football team, but Ive always been so impressed with the Green Bay Packer organization, going back to 1999 working there as an assistant coach, the tradition and the history of the Green Bay Packers, and now to have a place in that, thats really what I told the team in our meeting after the Super Bowl on Tuesday. Well be connected for the rest of our lives, and hopefully our children will be connected for the rest of their lives because of what we accomplished in Super Bowl XLV. I dont think this has taken away from it. It certainly has on a national level, theres no question about that, but theres such a unique pride and connection between the fans and the football team, and that connection will ever be broken because of the significance of the Super Bowl XLV victory.

Whether he had a chance to celebrate the title with his team: I think thats what the ring ceremony is for, thats my understanding of it. Thats what that nights for, to go back and reflect. I know thats the way Im wired. Im worried about Super Bowl XLVI now and how were going to get to that. We know as much as anybody that its a one-day-at-a-time process.

The NFC North: I think our division is extremely competitive Its very competitive. We were 4-2 in our division games, and we strive to do better than that, and were going to need to do better than that. I think our division, we spend a lot of time on division games, Id put our division up against anybodys. Its competitive as hell.

Whether theres room for linebackers Nick Barnett and Brandon Chillar on the roster as backups: You have to look at the whole football team and how it fits together. Teds made it clear from day one that were going to keep as many good football players as possible. I dont look at that position any differently. That was an extremely competitive position going into camp last year. We felt from a depth standpoint it was clearly one of our better positions, and thank goodness it was with the injuries to both Brandon and Nick, we didnt miss a beat, and A.J. (Hawk) and Desmond (Bishop) had excellent years and deserved those contracts. I dont really like to ever comment on medical situations because really a lot of this lays in the hands of what the doctors think.

When he will get anxious to get back on the field: Here we are sitting at the owners' meetings. Traditionally, we would have had two or three weeks of quarterback school by now. I think probably by middle of April, next couple of weeks.

What the reaction will be if the lockout isnt over before the draft: I think all of us will be nervous if you have a draft and this isnt resolved yet. Now, your scheduling is shifting into another gear. To me, you can shake it anyway that you want. You can talk about nine weeks, 15 weeks, whatever, you still have a job to do and work to get done. Thats not going to change. How you get that done is based on your time management, and the league controls that, which is fine, but its going this way. Thats always a concern that youve got less time to do the amount of work to get ready for a season.

Whether teams will cheat and have contact with players during the lockout: I know were not. I met with our coaches before they left for vacation. We cant communicate, and well respectfully not communicate with each other. We spent five years building a football team and building relationships with our players. Our coaching staff is not going to jeopardize that by no means. I made that clear before left. We respect the position of the players, and we hope they respect management. As a coaching staff, we expect this process is going to be worked out. Were going to be a football team again, and we cant lose sight of that.

GBPressGazette wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (1h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (1h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (2h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (2h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (13h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (14h) : damn those vikings
beast (14h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (14h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (14h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (14h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (14h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (21h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (22h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (22h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
now / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.