Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Jolly was arrested Friday morning and has been charged with possession of more than 400 grams of a controlled substance. He faces up to life in prison if convicted.

"wpr" wrote:

Idiotic. It's shit like this that causes me to have no respect for the legal system in this country.

I mean, seriously, possession of cough syrup is one notch lower than a capital offense like murder or rape? Hell, we don't even have the death penalty in Wisconsin, so with this harsh of a penalty, the offenses would be punished equally in this state!

We call ourselves the "land of the free," yet despite having only 5% of the world's population, we lock up 25% of the world's prisoners -- more than all the Communist and totalitarian nations of the world combined -- 55% of whom are nonviolent drug offenders. People like Johnny Jolly, who for whatever sad little reason they might have, want to get a little buzz on.

As a nation, our priorities are seriously warped.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago

Jolly was arrested Friday morning and has been charged with possession of more than 400 grams of a controlled substance. He faces up to life in prison if convicted.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Idiotic. It's shit like this that causes me to have no respect for the legal system in this country.

I mean, seriously, possession of cough syrup is one notch lower than a capital offense like murder or rape? Hell, we don't even have the death penalty in Wisconsin, so with this harsh of a penalty, the offenses would be punished equally in this state!

We call ourselves the "land of the free," yet despite having only 5% of the world's population, we lock up 25% of the world's prisoners -- more than all the Communist and totalitarian nations of the world combined -- 55% of whom are nonviolent drug offenders. People like Johnny Jolly, who for whatever sad little reason they might have, want to get a little buzz on.

"wpr" wrote:

Sometimes I wonder if there's a gene for Puritanism in American DNA. It's like we're hardwired to judge-and-punish.

Criminal law may be the one place I'm a bit of a social Darwinist. Idiocy/addiction/whatever-you-call-it-like-Jolly's is not a survival trait. Yet by treating it as a crime, we actually finance and institutionalize it: what does it cost society to incarcerate and maintain a prisoner. Instead of the idiot/addict/whatever bearing the full cost of his bad choices, the rest of us get to share it by paying for prisons, prison guards, prison uniforms, prison food, etc.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
gbguy20
13 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

"wpr" wrote:

agreed completely.
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
The problem is the poorly written law in TX that defines the drug as the entire mixture or solution the actual drug is in. No matter how dilute.

400 grams of cough syrup carries the same consequence as 400 grams of pure uncut cocaine. Anything over certain quantity of grams adds an automatic intent to distribute charge. Even though he may have had 4 doses of actual codeine, he will get treated like he had 4000.

I think he is a addict and should be in treatment. Not 20 to life in prison.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

The problem is the poorly written law in TX that defines the drug as the entire mixture or solution the actual drug is in. No matter how dilute.

400 grams of cough syrup carries the same consequence as 400 grams of pure uncut cocaine. Anything over certain quantity of grams adds an automatic intent to distribute charge. Even though he may have had 4 doses of actual codeine, he will get treated like he had 4000.

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

I am willing to bet they don't think the law is poorly written. I am certain they are fully aware of the differences and are saying, "Don't F'n mess around with drugs in Texas or we will nail your sorry hide to the wall and leave it there."
UserPostedImage
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
I hate to get on a political bender but, the cost of the addiction to society in general is pretty high. No pun intended.

An addict becomes a drain on society when the addiction impairs his/her ability to work, drive without killing someone or forces them to feed their addiction through crime.

That is not even considering the human cost. Are lives of people who make poor choices really disposable. And the lives of their loved ones, considering the dysfunction passed down to the addicts children. They have a much higher chance to go on to be career criminals also.

Just in self interest and not considering the cost in lives, the monetary cost of the drain of the addicts on society means it they should be prevented. Even for those who think money is more important than lives. It cost them in police protection, insurance and personal loss to criminals and taxes for the people who have to be on welfare because they are too stoned or drunk to work.

For bleeding hart liberals, the human cost is too high. For the money grubbing conservative, the monetary cost is too high. Either way, it should be prevented.

If you don't want to go to jail, don't take illegal drugs. If you do and end up in jail. Don't cry to me, you knew it was illegal.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I agree with the last sentiment entirely. I never said I have sympathy for Jolly. That doesn't change the fact I think the law is not only idiotic, but also entirely ineffective.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
13 years ago

"wpr" wrote:

I am willing to bet they don't think the law is poorly written. I am certain they are fully aware of the differences and are saying, "Don't F'n mess around with drugs in Texas or we will nail your sorry hide to the wall and leave it there."

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

Thats more than likely the intent of the laws. Our justice system is filled with laws that like that are designed to scare people into NOT committing the crime. Our justice system needs an overhaul.
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
In my experience with the criminal justice system (professionally not personally) I have seen that they don't want to put people in jail. They want people to start being accountable for their actions and stop making decisions that put them in the bad position they are in. They seem to be more willing to let people off the hook if they just say they screwed up and will take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again. Like going into treatment or something.

Punishment doesn't work. A 60% recidivism rate should make that particularly obvious. The threat of punishment is even more ineffective. Teaching people to be responsible for making better choices does work. The money grubbing conservatives don't want to pay for "coddling" prisoners and the bleeding heart liberals don't want faith based programs funded by our taxes. Even if the programs are up to 95% effective.

The law is poorly written. The kicker is for intent to distribute. You don't distribute if you have a couple doses. If you have 6000 doses, you are intending to distribute.

The intent of that law was to put some teeth in it when it comes to dealers. Not to try and scare the drug addled addicts into actually starting to think past their next hits.

I don't have sympathy for drug addicts either. I would turn in family members if I knew they were dealing. Both for their own good and the protection of the public. They don't quit until they hit bottom, so sometime you have to shove them into it head first. That doesn't mean I wouldn't give someone a second chance if they took the steps to get clean.
doddpower
13 years ago

I don't have sympathy for drug addicts either. I would turn in family members if I knew they were dealing. Both for their own good and the protection of the public. They don't quit until they hit bottom, so sometime you have to shove them into it head first. That doesn't mean I wouldn't give someone a second chance if they took the steps to get clean.

"Dexter_Sinister" wrote:

Wow, you and I are clearly different.

They don't quit till they hit rock bottom, huh? That's a gross stereotype. I've had a ton of experience with heavy drug users and dealers and many are now incredibly successful individuals, some with significant US Government security clearances (yes, they divulged all information of their crimes). Sure, some hit rock bottom, but many don't. In other words, that generic statement simply isn't true.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (10h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (11h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (11h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (11h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (12h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (12h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (14h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (19h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (19h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.