macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/10/team-needs-green-bay-packers/ 

We wrap our look at the needs of the teams from the NFC North by considering the state of the defending NFL champions.

It would be tempting to simply say none and move on.

OL: The Packers have had their share of struggles along the offensive line over the past two years. They need a long-term replacement for left tackle Chad Clifton. If its eventually Bryan Bulaga, theyll need another right tackle. The interior of the line could benefit from another body or two, especially if Daryn Colledge leaves via free agency.

LB: The Packers have a surplus of talented inside linebackers. But they lack a quality complement to Clay Matthews on the outside. If they find one, the league eventually may re-name the Lombardi Trophy after Mike McCarthy.

DE: Cullen Jenkins most likely will be leaving due to free agency, Johnny Jolly most likely wont be back due to the loss of his freedom, and B.J. Raji has found his niche at nose tackle. Wisconsin defensive end J.J. Watt would be an ideal fit, but its highly unlikely hell last until the bottom of the first round.

CB: Tramon Williams has quickly and capably filled the shoes of Al Harris. Charles Woodson is getting toward the twilight of his career. They need to find his eventual replacement.

WR: Donald Driver is another aging contributor. Based on the Super Bowl win, Jordy Nelson is ready to step up. But theyll need someone to fill Drivers roster spot, at some point.

Overview: Unlike many recent Super Bowl champions, the Packers are generally stacked and they seem to have plenty of room to improve. If the lockout wipes out the offseason, training camp, and the preseason, the Packers will be much better suited than other NFC teams to compete, given that they continued to meet and practice and play into February.

Even if the Packers had no draft picks, theyd be getting a significant infusion of talent from the return of the many players who finished last season on injured reserve. Thus, they can focus their picks on players who can help lay the foundation for the future without having to gamble on players who can step in and perform right away.

ProFootballTalk wrote:

UserPostedImage
musccy
13 years ago
He didn't mention much about James Jones' in the article, and I think what happens with him is as significant as any potential change other than Cullen. Otherwise a good analysis, and I liked this line.

Cullen Jenkins most likely will be leaving due to free agency, Johnny Jolly most likely wont be back due to the loss of his freedom

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

Overview: Unlike many recent Super Bowl champions, the Packers are generally stacked and they seem to have plenty of room to improve. If the lockout wipes out the offseason, training camp, and the preseason, the Packers will be much better suited than other NFC teams to compete, given that they continued to meet and practice and play into February.

I would think it would also be beneficial to GB if the early season activities such as OTAs and some of TC were eliminated. That way the players would have a little more down time and could finish resting up from last year's very long season.
UserPostedImage
doddpower
13 years ago
I still think it's incredibly lame that they can't even get their rings and celebrate. That should be grandfathered in as it has to do with the previous season.
warhawk
13 years ago
The Packers will be ready to compete not just because the played into February but also because:

1) The have nearly everybody back.

2) The HC and OC has been with the QB since he got in the league.

3) There are no scheme changes or transition in strategies.

There's as many as 10 teams out there that don't know who their starting QB is going to be. Whoever it is has no playbook at this point and will not have the practice time to learn the offense and the players.

Other teams have new HC's and they will have very little time to install their system and get their teams ready to play it.

All McCarthy has to do is install small sections of the playbook, get them ready to execute what he puts in well, and go kick teams butts. I can see this team crushing teams early and often.
"The train is leaving the station."
zombieslayer
13 years ago
I'd say OL first, but every team in the NFL could use another WR and another CB. Once one gets injured, you got problems. I don't think there's a single team out of 32 that can honestly say "we have enough WRs and CBs."

LB: The Packers have a surplus of talented inside linebackers. But they lack a quality complement to Clay Matthews on the outside. If they find one, the league eventually may re-name the Lombardi Trophy after Mike McCarthy.

Yes, if we had a 2nd CM3, they might as well just hand us the Lombardi Trophy. Let the other 31 teams fight for 2nd place.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
DakotaT
13 years ago
Anybody remember the 1997 Packers, how about we take it a season at a time? The 2010 Packers overcame a lot of adversity and we should take a lot of pride in that, even though some of the jackass posters from other teams claim we were gifted our 6th seed.
UserPostedImage
13 years ago
Mike Neal and CJ Wilson are worth mentioning at DE, I think.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
13 years ago

Anybody remember the 1997 Packers, how about we take it a season at a time? The 2010 Packers overcame a lot of adversity and we should take a lot of pride in that, even though some of the jackass posters from other teams claim we were gifted our 6th seed.

"DakotaT" wrote:

It's a good thing we were "gifted" 6th seed, if we would have been "gifted" higher and had some games at Lambeau we might have done some real a$$ kicking!!!

:profileright: :thumbleft: :thumbright: :profileleft:
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
DakotaT
13 years ago
Whoever is drafted better come to training camp ready for competition. Nobody will be guaranteed a starting spot. We are in good shape over the entire roster.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.