bozz_2006
13 years ago
He wrote the long quote that you posted, Zero. He took Thompson's quote from an actual article and inserted that one sentence into his little editorial for the website.
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago
The only true experts work in the NFL. Everyone else is either a personality on TV or does it as a hobby. There are exceptions, but very few.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

He wrote the long quote that you posted, Zero. He took Thompson's quote from an actual article and inserted that one sentence into his little editorial for the website.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Michael David Smith wrote the article.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Michael David Smith wrote the article.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Michael David Smith must be a pseudonym for Mike Florio. :icon_smile:
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago
There's a much better article on Yahoo about this. Article :

The NFL draft is about to become more overrated than ever.

While the draft remains the foundation of building teams for long-term success, the NFL lockout and resulting lack of free agency figure to amp up the sometimes misguided perception among fans of what the event really means. To put it another way: For fans who think their team is about to draft four or five immediate starters, including two or three rookie Pro Bowlers, take a step back toward reality. Unless, of course, your team is awful.

That really only happens when youre in full rebuilding mode, Atlanta Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said, the shudder in his voice audible as he cringed at the thought.

On Thursday, the draft kicks off in primetime and will be held over a three-day period for the second year in a row. The timing and attention has served to significantly change the perception of the event, according to the top executives in the league.

Its not really everything that the fans think it is compared to what it really is to the scouts, coaches and executives, said Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson, whose six-year run with the team has resulted in tremendous success. In February, the Packers won the Super Bowl with an offensive lineup entirely made up of players originally drafted by the Packers. Overall, 14 of the 22 starters for Green Bay in the title game were drafted since Thompson took over in 2005. That included quarterback Aaron Rodgers(notes), the teams first-rounder in Thompsons first year.

Yet Thompson, who is as protective of his draft picks as anyone in the league, understands there is sometimes an absurd view of the draft. So absurd that he has sometimes been booed on draft day by Packers fans.

Thats just part of how it works with the fans, we all know that, said Thompson, who has made non-flashy picks like Jordy Nelson(notes) (08) and B.J. Raji(notes) (09) with Green Bays initial selection. I think fans tend to look at the draft like fantasy football, where people who run teams look at it much more from a nuts and bolts perspective.

Whereas fans are only looking at the top end of the draft and wonder if their team will unearth the next Tom Brady(notes) in the sixth round, executives understand certain pragmatic issues. For instance, does the team have enough decent offensive linemen to get through training camp and into the season? Same goes for wide receivers and linebackers. For most teams, getting an average of two starters a year through the draft for five or six years can turn a team into a serious contender.

And when you say starter, understand that we consider that third cornerback or wide receiver or second tight end, depending on your system, a starter, Dimitroff said. For guys like Thompson, Dimitroff and Baltimore Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome, finding a good flyer for punt coverage can be significant.

Theres so much attention on what teams do in the first round that people think thats all youre doing, said Newsome, who has been one of the most consistently good drafters in the first round over the past 15 years. They dont understand that we need nine good offensive linemen. We need guys who can cover kicks. The fans arent thinking about the fact that you might have four players coming up in free agency in a year and you probably arent going to be able to re-sign all of them, so you need to start looking ahead. Theres a lot that goes into it. A lot more than what they may read or hear on television.

What Newsome is saying leads into a deeper subject about team building. What fans see if they even watch a lot of college football is the surface of how a player performs. What the NFL does is so much more detailed that it often boggles the mind.

Sometimes Im looking at pages and pages of reports on one player, where the fans only see a paragraph or two or hear something from an analyst, who also may only have a short report on this player, Newsome said. When I say we know more than anyone could imagine, I mean way more. Its about how he competed during the season or how he competed at the college all-star games. How did he compete at Senior Bowl practices? How did he interview at the Senior Bowl? How did he do in his combine interview?

When we had [Alabama wide receiver] Julio Jones interview with eight people from our staff at the [NFL scouting] combine, how did he answer? What was his body language? All that stuff.

Those details hopefully tell a story about how a particular player may fit into a team. Or, just as importantly, that maybe he doesnt fit.

You have to understand where your team is in the building process and understand how that particular player fits, Dimitroff said. For the most part, players will do the right things, work hard and work well in the locker room. But you may have a player who maybe has some higher-maintenance issues. Do you have a locker room where you have enough veterans to keep that guy going on the right path? Or do you have a younger locker room where it may be too much to deal with on top of what you already have?

You have to consider that dynamic all the time. You see teams pass on certain players and fans wonder, Why wouldnt they take him? Theres a reason. Trust me, theres a reason. You may not hear what that reason is and teams arent necessarily going to make that public, but teams think about these things long and hard. Weve been tracking these players for three and four years. We have a whole lot more information than what you see.

Last year, for instance, offensive tackle Trent Williams(notes) of Oklahoma went No. 4 to the Washington Redskins. However, he caused concern with at least one team with his pre-draft approach, according to a source close to the situation. During a pro-day workout for Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford(notes), who went No. 1 overall to the St. Louis Rams, Williams never showed up. The team attended Bradfords session and knew Williams was in town at the same time, expecting to see Williams at the workout as well. Meanwhile, teammate and tight end Jermaine Gresham(notes) was present, helping to catch passes from Bradford and encouraging the QB during the process.

It was a really subtle thing, but it made you wonder what kind of teammate Williams was going to be, one scout said.

The problem is that what fans see these days is relatively constant. Whether its Mel Kiper or Mike Mayock or Todd McShay giving their 86th version of a mock draft or Jon Gruden playing to the cameras in an interview with a quarterback prospect, the NFL draft has gone from cottage industry to a Donald Trump skyscraper.

Im sitting here every day, going over all the information with our coaches and scouts and personnel people and then, when I leave the building, its all over the place, Seattle Seahawks GM John Schneider said. Its literally 24/7 about the draft and whos going to take which player and why. I understand that its part of the business and its one of the reasons everybody loves football, but its way out of whack with how we really go about building a team. The draft is the biggest thing we do, but its still only about 60 percent.

For Schneider, another 20 percent of player acquisition is focused on high-end free agency. The final 20 percent is on undrafted players or players who exist on the fringes, such as practice squads, the Arena League, the United Football League or the Canadian Football League.

For the most part, players will do the right things, work hard and work well in the locker room. But you may have a player who maybe has some higher-maintenance issues. Do you have a locker room where you have enough veterans to keep that guy going on the right path? Or do you have a younger locker room where it may be too much to deal with on top of what you already have?

When Schneider was in Green Bay working for Thompson, the Packers brought in cornerback Tramon Williams(notes), who was originally an undrafted free agent with Houston, but had been cut by the Texans at the end of the exhibition season in 2006. Williams then spent nearly three months out of the league before the Packers signed him to their practice squad that year.

By 2007, Williams earned a regular spot on the roster and then worked his way into the starting lineup in 2008 after injuries to other players. By 2010, Williams was so good that the Packers made him the full-time starter and eventually gave him a new contract. He finished the season with six interceptions, had three more in the playoffs and was eventually added to the NFC Pro Bowl team when Asante Samuel(notes) of the Philadelphia Eagles dropped out of the game.

You see what the Packers did with Tramon or with [2010 undrafted free agent cornerback] Sam Shields(notes) and you realize that finding players is not just about the draft and putting together your board, Schneider said. Youre constantly looking for players, trying to see who is available, whether they fit your system. Then, once you get them here, do you have a plan for how to develop them?

In the case of Williams, the Packers had a specific plan to get him ready. The pace of the plan sped up when veteran cornerback Al Harris(notes) got hurt, but the idea of how to train Williams for a job was in place all along.

What that ultimately means is that the draft is only a part of a much larger process, one often affected by the whims of injury and ownership.

You may have what you think is a great draft and then two guys get hurt after a year or two and all of a sudden it changes, Tampa Bay Buccaneers GM Mark Dominik said. Or if you have a coaching change and the type of player you need changes, it can make an entire draft class look different.

What all of the executives agreed on is that this years draft may serve to highlight the discrepancy between public perception and reality. Because the league hasnt had free agency while it deals with the lockout, the focus for fans has shifted to the draft more than ever before. Furthermore, the perception of what is a successful draft may be measured over an even shorter period of time.

Normally, you would have taken care of some of your needs already, Newsome said. Last year, when we were able to make the trade for [veteran wide receiver] Anquan Boldin(notes), that affected how we viewed what we might have to do in the draft.

Now, instead of teams focusing on the best player and then factoring in need, need could factor ahead of who is purely the best player. And if players are selected on a need basis, the expectation will be that they need to play right away.

I think thats a very fair way to look at it, Dimitroff said.

It's a pretty good read. It's kind of hard to say that Raji wasn't a flashy pick. I can see where he's going with it though because Raji was the most solid guy on the board at the time and Crabtree was probably the "flashy" pick.
13 years ago

Uncle Teddy doesn't know what he is talking about? :shock:
That is a stupid beyond words.
Ted knew that Justin was a reach when he took him. It was a high risk high reward scenario. He was comfortable with the move. He actually has proven himself correct by making the move. Not because Harrell is some kind of phenom. But because he could take the gamble, have it not pan out and still win the SB.

It is hilarious for someone to point to one draft pick in order to "prove" that even GMs don't know everything about players. I have never heard any of the more successful GMs say they know everything about these college kids. But one thing is for certain, they know a whole lot more than the guys who sit behind the camera, typewriter or key board.

"wpr" wrote:

One draft pick who has been labeled a "bust" because of injuries that he did not suffer in college (at least I don't think he had back/ACL injuries in college).

I think if anybody is qualified to make a statement like this, it would be the GM who helped put together a team that suffered a stupid number of injuries and still won the Super Bowl. The writer should shut his mouth and bow down.

Most draft writers can't touch the kind of analysis that our front office continuously does to analyze the status of the roster. They're too short sighted for one. Everyone sees Jenkins and Jolly likely leaving, and they think "DE". Well we already addressed DE last year. Neal and CJ Wilson are being developed. We could use another (can never have too many big men) but we're not hurting at DE. You combine this with Thompson's philosophy to lean towards BPA and "guys who can play football" and the guesses by internet draft gurus start to sound downright preschool.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
Well, unfortunately Ted and the others who know what they are talking about almost never talk to us.

Which is why we keep listening to the know-nothings. If an alcoholic could get single-malt scotch and high-end port, he wouldn't drink rotgut.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
musccy
13 years ago
very lengthy, but good find on that article djcubez. I agree that I don't quite understand how Raji wasn't a "flashy pick," I know I pee'd my pants when they picked him!

Great points too that the draft talk is ONLY about the 1st round, but how many of the Packers' players, let alone starters were 1st rounders? 7? (Woody, ARod, Cliffy?, Raji, CM3, Bulaga, Hawk).

ESPN will crown a new SB champ after tonight's draft, when in reality the late/post draft moves like Shields, Grant, Tramon, Driver, Tauscher, or Brad Jones will be what truly determines the future success of the Pack or any team.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (11h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (14h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (15h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (18h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (18h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (18h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.