nerdmann
13 years ago

In separate interviews after the Super Bowl, both general manager Ted Thompson and head coach Mike McCarthy dismissed the idea of trading backup quarterback Matt Flynn. They were being honest then, but that doesnt mean the former LSU star is a lock to be on the roster when the regular season opens (hopefully) in early September. In my opinion, Flynns immediate future in Green Bay will be determined in large part by what happens in the upcoming draft. If Thompson selects a quarterback in the first four or five rounds, the odds are pretty good that hell at least explore the possibility of making a deal.

Of course, Thompson wont just give Flynn away. Considering the Packers would likely receive at least a fourth-round pick should the 25-year-old leave as an unrestricted free agent following the 2011 season, its going to take significantly higher compensation than that to pry away one of the leagues most promising young backups. Would any team be willing to give up a second-round pick for a player who has attempted only 83 passes (completing 49) in three seasons? Thats obviously impossible for me to know, but my educated guess is yes. And there are a number of reasons to support this opinion.

First, at least a dozen teams are currently in need of a quarterback. And after Auburns Cam Newton, Missouris Blaine Gabbert and maybe Arkansas Ryan Mallett, which rookie quarterback would you prefer over Flynn? Florida States Christian Ponder? TCUs Andy Dalton? Washingtons Jake Locker? Iowas Ricky Stanzi? Personally, Id take Flynn over all four of those players in a heartbeat. He may not have a lot of experience, but his superb performance on national television against Bill Belichick and Patriots late last season left a lasting impression on me and had to have done the same thing to every GM in the league.

Also, Flynn has been tutored for three years by two of the very best quarterback coaches in the league. That was a big plus even before the Packers won the Super Bowl behind a young quarterback (Aaron Rodgers) groomed by McCarthy and Tom Clements. Now its an enormous plus. Other GMs view those two men much the way other GMs looked at Mike Holmgren and Steve Mariucci some 15 years ago. And remember, Ron Wolf was able to use that admiration to flip both Mark Brunell and Aaron Brooks for a tidy little profit.

And finally, any team that doesnt procure a potential starting quarterback in the draft will be hard-pressed to find one in free agency or via trade. The best quarterback on the market figures to be Kevin Kolb, but hes going to be very expensive. The Eagles are asking for first and third-round picks and agent Jeff Nalley will be looking for a huge contract. After Kolb, the pickings are awfully slim. Vince Young and Donovan McNabb figure to be available, but would any GM want to stake his future to either of those players?

Thats why I believe at least one team is going to be willing to offer Green Bay a second-round choice for Flynn after the lockout ends. Tennessee makes the most sense. In fact, if the Titans dont draft a quarterback early, you might start to wonder if the two teams hadnt already agreed to the parameters of a deal. Its also important to remember that Tennessee GM Mike Reinfeldt is one of Thompsons best friends and that the two teams have played in each of the past three preseasons. So Reinfeldt should know Flynn very well.

Why would Thompson be willing to trade away one of the best insurance policies in the entire league? Well, first of all, hed only consider it if he has a capable replacement on the roster (forget about current No. 3 Graham Harrell). Thats why what happens in the draft is so important. Both Thompson and McCarthy have shown a willingness to go into a season with a rookie backup quarterback. Rodgers was No. 2 behind Brett Favre in 05 and Flynn held that same role behind Rodgers three years later. The key is finding the right rookie.

Heres another reason Thompson watched Wolf trade away young quarterbacks year after year in the 90s. That was the philosophy of the man who taught him everything he knows about building a football team. People often talk about how different the two men are, but in reality, they are very much the same. They both hired offensive-minded head coaches, they both acquired a quarterback of the future within four months of being hired and they both signed a future Hall of Fame defensive player after their first full season on the job.

Would it be risky to trade Flynn? Yes, but it would be no riskier than the Eagles trading Kolb. And while people love to label Thompson as cautious, thats simply not true. Would a cautious man have hired McCarthy and dumped Favre? Truth is, Thompson might have the biggest pair of cojones of any GM in the league. Trading a backup quarterback is childs play when compared to hiring a coach nobody ever heard of and discarding a future Hall of Famer coming off his best season. So a trade could definitely happen. And if it doesnt, then Flynn will be back not such a bad thing for a team looking to defend its title.

"PU" wrote:

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
What the hell is "PU"? Someone who stinks? Where's the source link? C'mon sad nerd! 🙂
UserPostedImage
13 years ago

What the hell is "PU"? Someone who stinks? Where's the source link? C'mon sad nerd! :)

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

PU = Packer Update, I believe.
nerdmann
13 years ago
http://packerupdate.net/?p=10328 
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Greg C.
13 years ago
Before reading this article, I would've dismissed a Flynn trade as a longshot, but this guy makes a pretty convincing case for it being a decent possibility. It was a good read. Thanks.
blank
warhawk
13 years ago
One of the reasons Ted hired McCarthy was his ability to bring along young QB's.
One of the reasons Ted keeps bringing in higher QB draft picks is for this reason. Let McCarthy get them ready and then get much higher value than what it cost.
Flynn has held up to the task of learning the NFL game and being ready and able to play in this league. He's not going to stay past next year anyhow so get the most you can and move on.

Then go out and do it all over again.
"The train is leaving the station."
Yerko
13 years ago
Awesome read and like Greg C. I would have also dismissed the thought of trading Flynn away. Bottom line is, the kid deserves it. It works for both sides if GB is able to get a 2nd rounder for Flynn.

I kept seeing Kolb's name so it is going to lead me to ask...if you were in a team in need of a quarterback would you trade your picks for Kolb or Flynn? Yes, I think Flynn can be compared....easily.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago

I kept seeing Kolb's name so it is going to lead me to ask...if you were in a team in need of a quarterback would you trade your picks for Kolb or Flynn? Yes, I think Flynn can be compared....easily.

"G-Force" wrote:

Kolb is still a much better bet at this point. The Eagles are reportedly looking for a first and a third for him. I think a second round pick would be high for Flynn, but not impossible. Kolb is much more proven and has a stronger arm.
blank
azrunning
13 years ago
Honestly I'm not sold on Kolb; just don't think he has done much. Not that Flynn has done a lot but I'd be wary about acquiring Kolb.
blank
13 years ago
I feel like we damaged Kolb's value in Week 1 last season. He was shell shocked and then injured. It's hard to say how that will affect his confidence until he gets playing time. Flynn's confidence, on the other hand, has to be high.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (15h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (16h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (16h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (19h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (19h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (23h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (23h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.