Rockmolder
13 years ago

So we now added our LT of the future after adding our RT of the future last year, have a RG who's playing at an All-pro level, have a very capable center and just one single hole, which I imagine is easily filled by at least 3 players on our roster and we still needed to draft more O-linemen?

Wade Millen would run this franchise into the ground.

"Wade" wrote:

Ok, to Rock for a creative insult.

Though IMO the Millen moniker should be reserved for those who insist on going after every skill player all the time, not for the minority of us who go nutso about the importance of the lines.

And who the heck said anything bad about Bulaga/Sitton? Heck, I'll go so far as to say we're fine at C with Wells and, so long as he stays healthy, Clifton. But a team with the best quarterback in football ought to have at least SIX quality-starter-level OL. GB had four going into this draft. Now they have five.

And a bunch of guys who are at best unproven. Or proven ... to be at best servicable.

The Packers won a Super Bowl with 15 guys on IR. Would they have won a Super Bowl if Aaron Rodgers had been on IR and none of those 15 guys had been? I don't think so.

With Aaron Rodgers, this team will contend for a Super Bowl for years. The best way to ensure they have Aaron Rodgers is to have an OL that minimizes the hits on the QB and can, at need, bang out two yards on any third down.

That's what I'm going to hammer at until they do, Ted Rock.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

You took that slightly more serious than I though, but you make some valid points.

If you go OL, OL, OL, you leave some enourmous gaps at other positions, eventually.

You can't expect to draft 3, 4 offensive linemen a year, in the hopes that you have some utopian 5 All-pro starting line-up at your O-line and address the entirety of the rest of your team with the 3, 4 picks you normally have left.

Chances are that you hit on just a few of your late round picks, drafting 2 offensive linemen a year early on and hoping on hitting with the rest of your picks on the rest of the positions is the way to deplete your team of talent in a year or 3, when guys start retiring, need new contracts etc.

I mean, picking Sherrod meant passing up on some talented DE/OLB twice in two years in the first round. I'm fine with that, as LT is one of the most important positions in the game, but do you reckon we would've been better off if we took Schilling instead of Elmore later on? We would've fit the 3 OL quota and would've had to cut one of our other high potential guys like McDonald to make room.

Next to that, there's a reason why guard and center are a position of, relatively, little value. You can get bye with average players. Having a good guard or center is just a very, very helpful extra.

Like Sitton is for us.

I hope we're set at RT for the future, but that should be the thinking by our FO. That's why you got Bulaga.

We should be set at LT for the next 10 years with Sherrod. I like him more than Bulaga.

Aforementioned Sitton is an all-pro caliber RG.

Scott Wells has been playing solid and has been underrated for quite a while now by Packer fans. He keeps beating out whoever challenges him and he keeps playing good football.

That means you have Colledge, McDonald and maybe even Lang playing for our LG spot. I'm no fan of Colledge, but you can easily get by with those guys. Had Pouncey been there, you pick him to shore up your LG position, but anyone in round 2 or after, I don't know if it would've helped our team at all. We don't need any more high potential guys who "could start some day".

On the other side of the ball we have Clay Matthews and... Clay Matthews. At the WR position we have a FA in Jones, who'll want way more than you should ever fork over for a 3rd/4th WR, an aging DD who most likely should've retired after last year, leaving us with just 2 WRs who we can really bank on.

And I'm not even that high on Nelson.

Woodson's bound to hit a wall sometime soon. Williams and Shields would make, respectively, great and ok starters, but who's behind that who you'd feel comfortable starting on your team? Nickel corner is a starting spot on any defense right now, but even moreso on ours. Lee has proven he can get injured and, while I still hope that Underwood goes back and progresses like he did throughout his first year, he's a longshot to be starting material at any point during his career.

One guy I might give you is Boling over Green. I'm not a fan of the Green pick and Boling maybe could've started at LG in a year or two. But still, while I don't like Green as a player that much, it's obvious why we picked him. With an injury prone messiah as RB, coupled with Grant coming back from a pretty bad injury, a RB was a need. Especially after BJ showed us that he can't carry the load.
Stevetarded
13 years ago

Did the Lions miraculously find a secondary to go with that group? We countered the Lions pass rush with a screen game with this draft in case nobody caught that.

I'll start worrying about the Lions when they are capable of winning 10 games. I will admit that I miss Matt Millen though. They seem to be on the right track, finally.

"beast" wrote:

They don't need a secondary if the OL can't slow up the DL like they couldn't last time they played.

Not sure what you mean by the screen game but the Packers tried WR screens last year and they normally failed and they had RB who could catch last year and Mike McCarthy didn't use to many Screens but they worked pretty well last year. But it didn't help much against the Lions as their DL kicked the Packers OL butt...

Only thing that is really going to help against that Lions pass rush is spreading it out and/or being able to run the ball.... which with Grant, Starks and Green the odds of being able to run the ball do improve but with Fairly added that makes it even harder to do.

I'd say if Suh or Fairly come out of the game for a breather or something... try going no huddle to not let them back in the game.

"DakotaT" wrote:

The Lions already had a top 10 pass rush last year and what did it get them... the 19th ranked scoring defense. They already had a 2nd good DT in Corey Williams and even if Fairley ends up being good next year that will still be probably only a slight improvement for them.
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago

The Lions already had a top 10 pass rush last year and what did it get them... the 19th ranked scoring defense. They already had a 2nd good DT in Corey Williams and even if Fairley ends up being good next year that will still be probably only a slight improvement for them.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Those are very good points. The improvement with Fairley is not likely to be nearly as dramatic as it was when they got Suh. Our interior O-line will have it's hands full against the Lions, though. Maybe, as others suggested, McCarthy will need to spread out the offense and attack the edges. It should make for an interesting chess game.
blank
beast
13 years ago

"Greg C." wrote:

Those are very good points. The improvement with Fairley is not likely to be nearly as dramatic as it was when they got Suh. Our interior O-line will have it's hands full against the Lions, though. Maybe, as others suggested, McCarthy will need to spread out the offense and attack the edges. It should make for an interesting chess game.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

High numbers of sacks doesn't always equal good defense... only 2 of the top 7 teams in sacks made the Playoffs last year. While two of the bottom six did make the playoffs. So they don't relate very well so I don't think it's a good point. As you get focus on pass rushing to help even out the poor play by the DBs which hurts the run stopping game... Corey Williams is a good pass rusher... he's not overly good at stopping the run.

The Lions were 24th in giving up running yards per game last year, and they were 22th in running yards per running play. So I got a feeling their run defense can improve... and in comes Fairly to go next to Suh.

Their pass rush might not get a whole lot better but I think their run defense will. And their pass defense might get better having Williams come in off the bench with fresh legs to rush on passing downs...

Also I've heard they have moved Suh around some last year. So a DL of Vanden Bosch, Fairly, Williams and Suh isn't out of the question ether...
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (22m) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (2h) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (2h) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (15h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (21h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (23h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (23h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
56m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.