wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
NFL 
Nice pick

Overview

Cobb's a 'tweener lacking the size to be a full-time back or the ball skills and deep speed of a pure receiver. However, he could still make plays as a scat back, sub-package slot receiver and as a returner. Plays his best in the biggest moments. Possesses solid vision, enough quickness to get the corner and gain yards after short passes but isn't a true home run threat. Could be an effective third down back with his short area speed and route-running but hands need to be more consistent and he has a ways to go in pass protection. Cobb is a late Day 2 prospect.

Strengths
Cobb possesses rare competitiveness and great intangibles. Not afraid of contact, going over the middle, or pass blocking. Good short area speed, can press the line and get to the perimeter. Good route-runner and can get open against zone. Versatile - high school quarterback who played running back, receiver, returned kicks, and in the Wildcat in college.
Weaknesses
Lacks bulk for a running back. Does not possesses great top-end speed and not overly elusive in the open field. Does not have the strength and power to carry the load or push the pile. Only possesses adequate overall ball skills as a receiver. Struggles to sustain his blocks.
Grade

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

[align=center]Randall Cobb | Wide Receiver | Kentucky | 5'10" - 191 lbs.[/align] 

2009 (Sophomore): First-team All-SEC as an all-purpose player by The Associated Press and ESPN.com ... Won team awards as UK's Most Valuable Player, Most Outstanding Offensive Player and Most Inspirational Offensive Player ... Ranked second in the SEC in touchdowns, third in punt returns, fourth in all-purpose yardage and seventh in scoring ... Also would have ranked fifth in the league in kickoff returns, but did not have enough returns to qualify ... Led the team in receiving with 39 catches for 447 yards and four touchdowns ... Had seven catches for a career-best 96 yards in the opener vs. Miami (Ohio) ... Had three game-winning touchdowns in the fourth quarter -- a 12-yard TD catch with 4:28 remaining vs. Louisville; a four-yard run at Auburn with 3:17 left that was set up by his own career-long 61-yard run; and a one-yard run at Georgia with 9:55 to go in the game ... Scored 15 total touchdowns, second on the UK single-season list ... Second on the team in rushing with 573 yards and 10 TDs ... Reached the century mark with 109 rushing yards at Auburn and 101 vs. Tennessee ... Returned 24 punts for 308 yards, including a 73-yard TD jaunt against ULM ... Averaged 26.5 yards on kickoff returns ... Averaged 139.4 all-purpose yards per game, with a career-high 237 all-purpose vs. Mississippi State.

2008 (Freshman): Named to the SEC All-Freshman team at quarterback ... Played in 11 games, starting four games at wide receiver and then the last four games of the regular season at quarterback ... Won his first QB start at Mississippi State and is believed to be the first UK true freshman QB to start and and win an SEC road game since freshmen became eligible in the early 1970s ... Rushed for a season-high 82 yards and three touchdowns vs. Georgia ... Threw for a career-best 144 yards vs. Vanderbilt ... Playing in the Arkansas game as a wide receiver, he caught two touchdown passes in the final 4:15 to give the Wildcats a dramatic 21-20 come-from-behind victory over the Razorbacks ... Wore uniform No. 12 in the Arkansas game as a tribute to Dicky Lyons, who had suffered a season-ending injury the previous week ... Was named SEC Freshman of the Week for his effort vs. Arkansas ... By the end of the season, was the only player in the nation who was the team's starting quarterback and punt returner ... Missed all of one game and most of two others because of a high ankle sprain sustained vs. Middle Tennessee.

High School: Named "Mr. Football" for Class AA in Tennessee ... Dual-threat quarterback from perennial power Alcoa HS ... Alcoa won four-consecutive state championships, the last two with Cobb at the offensive controls as the starting QB ... Team posted a 27-3 mark during his two campaigns as a starter ... As a senior, completed 89 of 139 passes (64.0 percent) for 1,765 yards, 22 touchdowns, and only two interceptions ... Rushed for 793 yards, a 9.0-yard average per carry, and 13 touchdowns ... During his junior season, threw for 1,893 yards, 25 TDs, and just four interceptions ... All-state as a junior and senior ... Coached by Gary Rankin ... One of the top-11 prospects in Tennessee by the Orlando (Fla.) Sentinel ... One of the top-20 prospects in Tennessee, according to Rivals.com ... Four-year member of the track team, competing in the 100- and 200-meter dashes, along with the 4x100- and 4x200-meter relays ... Finished third in the state in the 100 his senior year, with a best time of 10.75 seconds ... Clocked a personal-best 21.89 in the 200 ... His 4x100 relay unit was second in the state his junior year ... An all-district basketball player as a junior ... Honor-roll student ... Named to Who's Who Among American High School Students.

Personal: Born in Maryville, Tenn. ... Son of Randall Sr. and Tina Cobb ... A cousin, Shannon Mitchell, played football for Georgia and the NFL's San Diego Chargers ... Another cousin, Billy Williams, played football at Tennessee and the NFL's St. Louis Rams ... Major is community communications and leadership development.

Community Cats: Participated in events at Leestown Middle School (2008), Pine Meadows Healthcare (2008), Shriner's Hospital (2009, 2010), Cardinal Hill Hospital (2009), a youth football league (2009), Read Across America (2010), Relay for Life (2010) and the UK Hospital Dance Blue fundraiser (2010).

[youtube]i09R28AWgFU[/youtube]
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
Ha beat you. Sure YOU get your posts made into stickys.

Uncle Teddy loves WR in the 2nd round.
UserPostedImage
GermanGilbert
13 years ago
YES :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: as mentioned in my mock draft this was my absolute favorite for #64. Thank you, TT
blank
StoicFire
13 years ago
Nice pick. Maybe he can help us in the return game as well.
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
RainX
13 years ago
Sounds like a classic Ted Thompson pick. Probable replacement for James Jones if he goes in FA and can return kicks to boot.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
CBS 

Overview

One of the most celebrated recent high school football players from Tennessee shocked everyone in 2008 by deciding to attend Kentucky, offering up one more nail in the coffin of Phil Fulmer's tenure as head coach at Tennessee.

Cobb immediately made the All-SEC Freshman team as a quarterback in 2008 despite starting only four games at the position, making the switch late in the season following four starts at receiver. It was immediately clear that Cobb was a triple threat to pass, run and catch on any play. Highlights of his true freshman year included catching two touchdowns late to rally the Wildcats against Arkansas,21-20, and 100 yards both passing and rushing against Georgia,

Too short to project to the NFL as a quarterback, Cobb found a home at receiver as a sophomore, where he was All-SEC as an "all purpose performer," averaging almost 140 yards per game in offense and kick/punt returns. He finished with 447 yards receiving, first on a team with inconsistent quarterback play. While Cobb was green at receiver, his natural athletic talent was obvious.

Cobb was ready for primetime in 2010, breaking out with 84 catches for 1,017 yards and seven touchdowns, not to mention an additional 424 yards rushing with five touchdowns and 955 combined yards returning punts and kicks. Game highlights included 12 catches for 171 yards against Mississippi State, 226 yards rushing and receiving with two touchdowns against Vanderbilt and 13 catches for 116 yards against Tennessee.

Cobb is an excellent slot or No. 2 receiver prospect running primarily short and intermediate routes at the NFL level, but lacks the elite straight-line speed and size the NFL usually demands for consideration as a No. 1 receiver. He should fit well in a quick throw, West Coast type of offense, and offers great versatility as a runner, kick returner and Wildcat quarterback, not to mention a dependable holder for field goals.

Bright, hard working, dedicated and athletic, Randall Cobb has a lot of talent and very little risk.
Analysis

Release: Extremely quick first step off the snap. Strong and physical enough to beat the press, but more likely to use quickness and elusiveness to escape coverage. Played in the slot and/or was in motion a lot. Very good at getting open quickly with cuts and burst.

Hands: Soft, natural hands are used to snatch the ball away from the body. Very few drops, even counting the two short ones over the middle vs. Pitt in the Compass Bowl from the backup quarterback. Adjusts well to the ball. Caught the ball in traffic a lot and almost always held on. Will hold onto the ball while taking a big hit. Secures the ball well and rarely puts it on the ground. Can be counted on to field punts and kickoffs cleanly. Holds for field-goal attempts.

Route running: Excellent, disciplined route running originates from being a former quarterback, knowing what happens when the route is not run correctly. Crisp, sharp cuts and turns. Breaks tackles and gets YAC consistently. Student of the game prides himself on not making mental errors. Not a true blazer, but fast enough, very shifty and tends to get separation consistently.

Blocking: Small frame limits the benefits of quality technique and effort. Will sacrifice body against larger defenders. Good knee bend, extension of arms and hand placement. True team player gives all in every assignment.

Intangibles: Dedicated to football. Puts in outstanding effort, leads by example and never takes a play off. Leader off the field, participating in a wide variety of community and charity causes. Honor Roll student in high school. Does the small things well, such as being a reliable holder for field goals. Received high praise from coaches. While Cobb missed a couple of games early in his career with minor injuries, he produced consistently during a healthy 2010 season.

--Brad Noel

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

Sounds like a classic Ted Thompson pick. Probable replacement for James Jones if he goes in FA and can return kicks to boot.

"RainX" wrote:

I would not be surprised if they let Jones move on.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
13 years ago
Yep, he's either the replacement for Jones now or Driver in a year or two. Either way, the more I hear about him the more I like the pick.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Greg C.
13 years ago
So what are the comparisons here? Wes Welker? Or maybe a poor man's Percy Harvin? He could also be a Donald Driver type receiver. In this offense, receivers who don't have blazing speed can still make big plays. James Jones was supposed to be kind of slow, but he makes big plays.

Sounds like a high character guy and another good pick by Ted.
blank
Fan Shout
beast (7h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (9h) : damn those vikings
beast (9h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (9h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (9h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (9h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (9h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (16h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (17h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (17h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.