Greg C.
13 years ago
Trading down when the roster is loaded, drafting players at positions that are already well-stocked....has Ted Thompson gone insane? Nah, he's just doing pretty much the same thing he does every year.

Here's why: Lesser GM's live in a fantasy world where every player they draft fills a niche on the roster, and everything is all nice and tidy. Ted, on the other hand, is one of those GM's who is fully aware of the fact that, no matter how good your scouting department is, the draft is a crapshoot. Therefore, your plan needs to be more open-ended.

Even the highest picks are famous for being iffy propositions in most cases, and the lower you get in the draft, the more uncertainty there is about whether the players are going to pan out. So you pick the best prospect available, using need as a tiebreaker, trading down when you know you can still get a player you've had your eye on and trading up when you have a chance to steal a player out from under somebody else.

As a fan, I like it when Ted's picks correlate as closely as possible with the team's needs, because that means the draft fell our way. This year, that lasted all of two rounds. Things got a little weird after that, with an RB in the third round and two TE's later. But these guys will all go into the mix along with the all-important undrafted free agent signings (can anyone say Sam Shields? or how about Frank Zombo?) and because of injuries and other unexpected events, you never know how it's going to shake out. Ted is just playing the odds. It's a good thing he doesn't go to Las Vegas. He would clean those bastards out.
blank
musccy
13 years ago
I disagree (sort of). I actually think Teddy went for anticipated need in this draft.

Sherrod - replace Ciffy in 2012
Cobb - James Jones/Driver replacement, and no more KR for Tramon
Green - good receiving back, replace BJack
2 TEs - Finley likely wants HUGE contract in 2012, so 3 horse race to fill that void
House - Woody done soon, Tramon/Sam 1-2, House a nickle?

I think it was a TREMENDOUS draft for stock piling and accounting for soon-to-be needs and like you said, we can still hopefully find some OLB help in UDFA.

Also, w/ virtually no picks aimed at DE, I wonder if this suggests we'll now make a run at keeping Jenkins OR we have a lot of faith in Neal and CJ Wilson.
Greg C.
13 years ago

I disagree (sort of). I actually think Teddy went for anticipated need in this draft.

2 TEs - Finley likely wants HUGE contract in 2012, so 3 horse race to fill that void

I think it was a TREMENDOUS draft for stock piling and accounting for soon-to-be needs and like you said, we can still hopefully find some OLB help in UDFA.

Also, w/ virtually no picks aimed at DE, I wonder if this suggests we'll now make a run at keeping Jenkins OR we have a lot of faith in Neal and CJ Wilson.

"musccy" wrote:

But you could've made a similar justification for most other positions as well, the exceptions being QB, NT, ILB, and maybe safety. Let's say, for example, that Ted had drafted a DE in the first round: replace Cullen Jenkins. A CB? Replace Charles Woodson. A guard? Replace Darryn Colledge. Ted's not going to draft high at a position where the new player messes up the salary structure by forcing a highly paid player to sit the bench, but other than that, he's very flexible.
blank
musccy
13 years ago
The team has no pressing holes, just ones that are about 1 year down the road, and IMO WR (DD, Jones), RB (Grant, BJack), CB (Woody), TE (Finley FA, Quarless unproductive)and Tackle (Cliffy, Taush) were probably the biggest holes that are on the horizon.

DE could be depending on what happens - CJ and Neal showed promise, and Cullen/Jolly aren't out the door yet.
Since69
13 years ago
Special teams is probably the biggest hole we have, actually. Hole plugged.
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago
I am buying into the theory he moved down a lot late in the draft because he wanted to stockpile selections to makeup for zero undrafted free agent signings. I never really thought about that, but it is definitely a shrewd strategy.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
Some of the moves Uncle ted made do not make sense to me. But I figure he knows why. Since he isn't going to be calling me to explain I will have to let it go at that.
UserPostedImage
musccy
13 years ago

Some of the moves Uncle ted made do not make sense to me. But I figure he knows why. Since he isn't going to be calling me to explain I will have to let it go at that.

"wpr" wrote:

Bear in mind that we have no idea what his plans are to do with the FAs such as Jones, Jenkins, BJack, Colledge, or what will happen with Jolly or Barnett.

As I previously alluded to, I think their moves suggest Bjack, Finley, and Jones or Driver will be gone within 12 months, and that Ted may try to keep Cullen.
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Given that there may well not be a free agent period this year -- and at best, there will be only a very abbreviated one -- many of these lower-round picks are no doubt filling the role normally taken by undrafted free agents. The Packers get to stockpile some additional talent relatively cheaply in advance of training camp, while these prospects earn a little more money than they would have as UDFAs. So it is a good deal for both parties.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
13 years ago

"musccy" wrote:

In regards to the finley thing - he was touted 2 seasons ago to be one of the best TEs in the game ... be interesting to see what he does this season. If he plays like he did for us 2 seasons ago - We should definately pay him. ATM we have crap besides him at the TE position.

There was nothing like seeing finley go up and jump ball the corners and take the ball right over their head.

I really looking forward to seeing him play next year.
Fan Shout
beast (2h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (2h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (19h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (20h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (20h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (23h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (23h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.