Zero2Cool
13 years ago
What the hell?
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago

..By the way, I forwarded the question to the members of my department...I'll let you know what the answer(s) they give are. :)

"vikesrule" wrote:

That is some funny stuff right there Wade.....economics geeks and real math.
Bwaahaaaa :onfloor:

"Wade" wrote:

I'll have you know, most of my department are neither, instead being accountants and management professors.

And I am *not* a geek. I'm a nerd and a flake.

Be precise.

:)
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

..By the way, I forwarded the question to the members of my department...I'll let you know what the answer(s) they give are. :)

"Wade" wrote:

That is some funny stuff right there Wade.....economics geeks and real math.
Bwaahaaaa :onfloor:

"vikesrule" wrote:

I'll have you know, most of my department are neither, instead being accountants and management professors.

And I am *not* a geek. I'm a nerd and a flake.

Be precise

:)

"Wade" wrote:

I love it. kudos 4 you

Crap. I will never catch you in that area if I keep giving you the love. :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
13 years ago
2+2=4 X2 =8
UserPostedImage
GermanGilbert
13 years ago

2+2=4 X2 =8

"Cheesey" wrote:

good try, but failed nonetheless, alan ;)

there's a special number to do the math (Y in that case) by the way.

X = any number you want to choose
Y = number of vince lombardi trophies in the vikings trophy case

X+Y=X
X-Y=X
XxY=Y
X/Y=not defined

which number is Y? :wickedfart: 😉
blank
djcubez
13 years ago
Tough one Gilbert.

X + Y = X - Y. Hmmm.
X * Y = Y. Wtf?

I'm gonna say Y = 0 xD

A similar problem actually came up on my Facebook the other day in one of those new polls they have. I was surprised how many people got it wrong. It was a ratio of about 6:2.5 with the majority getting it right. However, there was about ten-to-a-hundred thousand votes cast (from what I remember). I never thought that order of operations was that difficult to understand.

EDIT: I found the Facebook poll. Kind of astonishing the ratio is A LOT closer than I remembered:

6 / 2 (1 + 2) = ?

1 - 1,546,659 votes
9 - 1,996,151 votes

It's obviously 9:

1 + 2 = 3: 6 / 2 (3) = ?
6 / 2 = 3: 3(3) = ?
3 * 3 = 9

People get 1 because they do the parentheses first, which is right (look at my first step). But then they distribute the 2 into the parentheses before dividing the six by it. This is the wrong way:

1 + 2 - 3: 6 / 2 (3) = ?
2 * 3 = 6: 6 / 6 = ?
6 / 6 = 1

Another way is people might be distributing the 2 early and then adding it:

2 * 2 = 4; 2 * 1 = 2: 6 / (4 + 2) = ?
4 + 2 = 6: 6 / (6) = ?
6 / 6 = 1

However you don't distribute the number into the parentheses unless there's variables. As VR said, you got to use that PEMDAS. Once you do what's in the parentheses you start over from left to right and do multiplication/division. After that you start over from left to right and do addition/subtraction.

EDIT: Found some other guy's explanation if anyone's interested. Apparently this is why people get it wrong:

Team 9: THE ANSWER IS 9
Those who argue that the answer is 9 follow standard order of operations:
6/2(1+2)
First you do whatever is in the parentheses which is (1+2):
6/2(3)
Next, you do multiplication and division in order from left to right, so you devide 6 by 2 and then multiply the result by 3. The parentheses are not needed as 2(3) only indicates 2x3:
3(3) = 9

Team 1: THE ANSWER IS 1
Those who argue that the answer is 1 follow order of operations, but accept that multiplication by juxtaposition indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations:
6/2(1+2)
6/2(3)
Next you must do 2(3) because multiplying by just putting things next to each other (multiplication by juxtaposition), rather than using the "x" sign indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before other operations.
6/6 = 1

As I have demonstrated here both answers can be argued for and the problem lies with what your view on multiplication by juxtaposition is:
Whether or not you believe 6/2(3) is different than 6/2x(3)
From what Ive been able to find, there is no definitive answer or consensus on this matter (even different calculators will calculate them differently), Therefore it is up to the one writing the expression to clearly indicate what he means without any ambiguity by writing:

6/2x(1+2) or 6/(2(1+2))

In conclusion I would like to state that the person who wrote the expression 6/2(1+2) is an absolute dick-headed moron who does not know how to make it clear what he means and just likes pissing people off. Learn some math fool!

That makes complete sense to me. I still vote for 9 though because I only multiply through the parentheses when there's a variable present.
longtimefan
13 years ago
20 years ago, it would been 8...New math makes it 6
dhpackr
13 years ago

Team 1: THE ANSWER IS 1
Those who argue that the answer is 1 follow order of operations, but accept that multiplication by juxtaposition indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations:
6/2(1+2)
6/2(3)
Next you must do 2(3) because multiplying by just putting things next to each other (multiplication by juxtaposition), rather than using the "x" sign indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before other operations.
6/6 = 1

"djcubez" wrote:

IMHO, and I aced two semesters of college algebra and am about to take calculus, 1 is the answer.

i see the problem as

6/2(1+2) =

2(1+2)

------- =
2(3)

-----=

So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
dhpackr
13 years ago

"longtimefan" wrote:

(ur+1)
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"dhpackr" wrote:

(urSlapnuts)

"longtimefan" wrote:

lmao
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (9h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (9h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.