macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Chicago Bears fans analyzing the Packers draft: I was honestly in envy of the packers late round drafting this year, and after a above average class in the first five rounds, I think it's safe to call the Packers draft a success at this point. Of course, you need a few years to adequately evaluate the picks, but from where we stand right now, I'd give the Packers overall draft a B+.

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2011/5/2/2150252/analyzing-the-enemy-the-green-bay-packers-2011-draft-part-1-the-first 

Analyzing The Enemy: The Green Bay Packers 2011 Draft - Part 1: The First Five Picks

Hat Tip to Lester A. Wiltfong Jr., Esq., G.Ph.D. (Doctor of Gridiron Philosophy) for suggesting the topic after winning last weeks Tuesday Bears Trivia!

While the success of Our Beloved Bears (and any team in the NFL) hinges largely on our success in the NFL Draft, it also depends largely on the success of our division rivals in the same way. Green Bay won the Super Bowl Championship last year largely on the strengths of their successes in the draft both in their starters and in their depth after seeing so many starters exit via injured reserve.

So how strong was the Packers Draft this year? Follow me to the clearing at the end of the jump and we'll take a look together......

The Packers Ted Thompson was one of the focuses of my earlier series on the top NFL draft philosophies, and for good reason. The Pack are built almost entirely on the draft. 19 of the starters of the Packers Super Bowl squad last season were drafted by the Pack or picked up as undrafted free agents. And of the 65 players that spent time on the Packers roster last year, only 9 were drafted by a team other than Green Bay. That, combined with the success of the Packers, is a better compliment to Thompson's job performance than anything else I could write.

Check out their first five draft picks:

In the first round, the Packers grabbed Derek Sherrod. Sherrod (6'5" 321 lbs) is well known on these boards as the offensive tackle many of us were hoping would fall to Chicago (as most of us never dreamed that Carimi would fall all the way down to the Bears at 29). The Packers had to be almost as happy with the tumble of the top offensive linemen as Chicago was. In Sherrod, The Pack have their replacement for Chad Clifton, who has been less and less effective as injury and age have caught up to him. Sherrod has long arms, a good initial burst and quick feet, good agility and fluid movement. He mirrors defenders well and does a great job against speed rushers. He has more problems with bull rushers, and has issues with his balance, as well as too often giving up leverage. Sherrod helped Mississippi State run an average of 219.3 yards per game on the ground, an area that the Packers have been weak in for a few years, now. But Sherrod has some strength concerns and some questioned his ability to transition to the NFL as a finesse Tackle. Sherrod's upside is huge and his weaknesses are fixable in the weight room and with some coaching. And he was still the best offensive tackle prospect left on the board. I'd give this pick an A-.

In the second, the Packers nabbed Kentucky WR Randall Cobb. At 5'10 and 191 lbs, Cobb is not exactly a large receiver, but is still being projected as a possible eventual replacement for the also aging Donald Driver and as a primary special-teamer to start (A guy not expected to start taken in the 2nd round? By on of the best minds in drafting? hmmm...). Cobb has good speed (mid 4.4 40-yard-dash), runs good routes and has great hands. He understands his role well, and has a quarterbacks view of what a wide receiver should do. In fact, he played QB in high school, and started his college career at the position. Kentucky still utilized that skill even this past year, as Cobb threw 3 TDs out of the wildcat formation. He's explosive in space, but falls easy to tackles, and he may not have the strength to be a primary receiver in the NFL. The weight room might be able to correct that problem, though. Overall, I'd give this pickup a B+.

The third round saw the Packers address their running game with Hawaii RB Alex Green. The 6' 225 lb running back was a a beast in the pass first Hawaii scheme, becoming only the thirds Warrior to rush for over a thousand yards and the first since 1982. Green also logged 17 TDs, just two shy of the Hawaii record. Green runs a 4.45 40, has fantastic balance and vision, and good strength. Green was taken as insurance for the third down situational back, as Brandon Jackson is a free agent. With Ryan Grant in the last year of his contract, Green stands to be in position to be part of a two back rotation with James Starks in the future. Green is thickly built, runs with good burst through the hole breaks tackles and wraps up the ball well, but has a tendency to run too upright and his agility is questionable, especially in start and stop situations. This wasn't a bad pick, but I'm not sure that it was a good grab, either. I'd rate this a C.

The fourth round saw the Packers grab up Windy City Gridiron favorite Davon House from New Mexico State. The 6'1" 200 lb corner dropped all the way to the end of the fourth round, and the Packers capitalized. House is an aggressive corner that some projected as a FS in the NFL. He has good speed and mirrors receivers well. He likes to move receivers to the outside and does a good job of keeping inside position. He does have problems with double moves and gets lost in crossing routes. He also has problems with faster receivers running quick slant routes. House won't likely start any time soon in Green Bay, and will be primarily a ST player as he develops, but he could end up being a huge steal. Grade? C+

The Packers kind of confused me with their 5th round selection of DJ Williams. The 6'2" 245 lb TE from Arkansas is kind of an odd choice. Williams is a fin pass catching TE, but the Packers have Jermichael Finley and they use very few 2TE sets. The confusing part is that Williams is a horrendous blocker. Not for lack of effort, mind you, but for lack of size, bulk and technique. He just doesn't have the ability and is easily shed by defenders. He does possess good hands, decent speed and agility and will help with the passing game if given the opportunity. It's possible that the Pack are looking at him as a H-Back type player, but then, you expect an H-Back to be able to block. The pick just doesan't make a lot of sense to me. I give it a D.

All in all, because of the depth the Packers already have, it will be difficult for all but Sherrod to have any kind of immediate impact. That says less about the quality of this draft than it says about the quality of the players already on the team. Still, it seems to me that the Packers could have taken a few players that would have had a more immediate effect on the team in the early rounds than they did. But I expect the Packers to be active in FA at a few positions, and for some of these Picks to be more "future investments", which a team can afford when their roster is as deep as the Packers roster is.

There you have the first 5 picks of the Packers 2011 draft. What are your thoughts on the Packers draft picks thus far, and will it have much impact on the Bears this season? And drop in on Wednesday to view the analysis of the Packers last five picks.

WindyCityGridiron wrote:

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2011/5/4/2154318/analyzing-the-enemy-the-green-bay-packers-2011-draft-part-2-the-final 

Analyzing The Enemy: The Green Bay Packers 2011 Draft - Part 2: The Final Five Picks

In a continuation of Monday's piece suggested by Mr Lester A. Wiltfong Jr., Esq., G.PH.D., today we'll take a look at the final 5 picks of the Green Bay Packers 2011 draft class.

Let me start out by addressing the grading scale. Many people will look at a pick given a "C" grade and assume that I am saying the pick was not so hot. And this would be true, to a point. I don't consider a pick I gave a "C" grade to a great pick. But I also don't consider that pick a bad one. I consider it average. Nothing horrible, but nothing above and beyond, either. In other words, a pick graded with a "C" is a decent pick.

Now that we have that out of the way, follow me to the clearing at the end of the jump to take a look at the final five selections made by the Pack.

Let's waste no time before looking at these new enemy soldiers!

The Packers selected five players over the final two rounds of the draft, and they wasted no time in finding their "Jerry" pick in grabbing Caleb Schlauderaff. I don't say that in a negative way, mind you. I mean that they grabbed up the 6'4" 305 lb guard out of Utah well below his original 4th round projection due to shoulder, hamstring and calf injuries. Caleb might be an injury risk, but he's a pretty good talent at the guard position and with some time to develop could very well end up starting for a long time in Green Bay. Schlauderaff is a strong, smart and nasty player who does well both at the line and in the second level. He picks up blitzes and stunts well, and usually does a pretty good job of getting his hands on defenders. He's also a good pulling guard and will help the Packers running game. He does have issues with his footwork and with his punch ion both the running and passing game, and he needs to work on his leverage in the passing game. Caleb's deficiencies are correctable through coaching, and the Packers got a steal. Schlauderaff missed just 3 games in 4 seasons as a starter at Utah so the rash of injuries in his final season should be tempered with the knowledge that he didn't miss a game in his first three seasons. He recorded his best games against top competition. He was also an Academic All-MWC.Overall I really think this was a very good pick, and I give it an A-.

DJ Smith was the 2nd pick of the 6th round for the Pack, and the 5'11" 235 All-American OLB from Appalachian State was a decent developmental choice. Not the biggest or fastest dog in the fight, Smith possesses great instincts, a high football IQ and good leadership qualities. He's a high character kid who has earned the respect of his coaches and peers. He has good balance and body control, moves well laterally and is a secure tackler. He needs some time in the weight room, though and he sits at 20% body fat. He also has questionable athletic ability, recording the worst broad jump at the combine among LBs and only posting a 31" vertical leap and a 4.75 40-yard-dash. Additionally, many thought that DJ would be available as a undrafted free agent. I wouldn't call this a great pick, but with some work, Smith could end up being a surprise. Grade? C-.

With their final pick in the 6th round, The packers nabbed DE Ricky Elmore, who was the Pac-10 sack leader for the past two seasons. Projected as either a DE or an OLB in the NFL, Elmore plays faster than his timed speed, but only posted a 4.88 40 at the combine. He is a high motor pass guy who will likely be used as a situational pass rusher by the Packers. He has very good acceleration and is a good tackler. But he has very short arms and struggles to disengage from blocks if he can't use that initial burst to get past the line. He also has consistency issues with his focus and effort and also tends to freelance a lot outside of the scheme. AS well, his instincts leaves something to be desired. Elmore is raw, and the Pack will have to work with him just to see him make the roster, IMO. But he could blossom into a nice third down weapon. But are his deficiencies too much to overcome? I give this pick a C-, as well.

The first selection the Packers made in the seventh round was North Carolina TE Ryan Taylor. Taylor spent three years as a ST linebacker with the Tarheels before making the switch to TE in his senior year. How did that work out? He set a UNC record for receptions by a TE and the coaches player-of-the-week honors twice in wins against Duke and Tennessee. Not bad for a guy playing at a new position. Obviously, Taylor is a developmental pick. He has great hands, decent feet, good route running skills and an aggressive nature. He's a pretty good blocker both at the line and hitting the hole, and could serve as a H-Back for the Packers.He needs to work on his cut blocks. He's not very elusive and he has pretty average size (6'3" 240). I really like the Taylor selection, and if he had another year of experience at the position, I think he would have been rated higher than DJ Williams was. I give this pick a B+.

Green Bay's final pick was a Lawrence Guy, a 6'5" 305 LB DT from Arizona St. Guy is pretty quick for a 300+ lb man, running a 5.01 at the ASU pro day. He's a raw talent that is an interesting combination of size, speed and athleticism. His technique is really lacking and he dominated at ASU by relying on his size and speed, something he won't be able to do at the professional level. I follow ASU, as I used to live in Pheonix. Honestly, I think that Guy has a shot at becoming a rotational DT in Green Bay with some work on his technique. This next part is purely my speculation, but I also wondered if the Packers weren't considering a "Big Cat" Williams transition for Guy. He has the athletic ability. I obviously have no insight to the Packers thought process, but the potential is there. Either way, Guy is an interesting prospect with a ton of raw talent. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him make the team. Considering his draft position and the huge upside, I see similar results to thoe the Bears had with J'Marcus Webb. I give this pick a B-.

I was honestly in envy opf the packers late round drafting this year, and after a above average class in the first five rounds, I think it's safe to call the Packers draft a success at this point. Of course, you need a few years to adequately evaluate the picks, but from where we stand right now, I'd give the Packers overall draft a B+.

Don't be shy, ladies and gentlemen. Have at it! Feel free to throw your thoughts into the arena of ideas below.

And Bear Down!

WindyCityGridiron wrote:

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
Interesting read although it is people like this that illustrate that while they may know a little about some of the college players who were eligible in the draft they don't have extensive knowledge of all the players who were available not the schemes in which GB plans to use a player. Because of that it appears as if they undervalue Green and are clearly wrong in their valuation of Williams. The line, "they use very few 2 TE sets" is not correct. GB may use more 3- 4 WR sets than 2 TE bit Mike does like to use 2 TEs..
UserPostedImage
13 years ago
A "D" for Williams is hilarious.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
13 years ago

A "D" for Williams is hilarious.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I agree whats with the D from him ...
nerdmann
13 years ago
Green is gonna light it up. Imagine the offense, suddenly able to run screens. Yeah I know, Bjack ran them on occasion, even occasionally gaining yards on one there and there. But this dude specializes in that shit.
Elmore's gonna surprise too, imo.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Yerko
13 years ago
Disagree with his Williams grade. Williams will be a nice option to have in a rotation with Quarless. As far as being a "blocking" tight end, how many of those do the Packers currently have on the roster? One, Crabtree. This pick deserves at least a B-.

Also disagree with the Elmore pick. From the videos I have watched of Elmore, it doesn't seem like he struggles with getting off blocks at all. Another thing I noticed about him (while playing on the line) is he was rarely pushed backwards and ran vertical to the line of scrimmage if the play was going opposite of his side. I have seen different 40 times posted for Elmore, from 4.6 to a 4.88. Bottom line is, like mentioned, he has a high motor and doesn't quit on plays. Either a B- or C+ here.
UserPostedImage
beast
13 years ago
Sounds like the guy doesn't understand the idea of draft and develop nor the idea of depth...
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
Usually teams/coaches that think players should already be developed or develop themselves and also be completely self motivated lose a lot.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
DakotaT
13 years ago

Sounds like the guy doesn't understand the idea of draft and develop nor the idea of depth...

"beast" wrote:

See everybody is beginning to give Uncle Ted the accolades he deserves, but what I think goes unnoticed is the coaching staff that Mike McCarthy has put together, with the exceptions of O-line and special teams. I'll give special teams a mulligan because of injuries but it's time for Campen to step up his game.

Whitt and Perry have worked miracles in that secondary, and although Kevin Greene cannot articulate very well, he knows the OLB position inside and out.
Ted Thompson selects the clay, but the guys molding it are masters of their craft too.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
13 years ago

"DakotaT" wrote:

See everybody is beginning to give Uncle Ted the accolades he deserves, but what I think goes unnoticed is the coaching staff that Mike McCarthy has put together, with the exceptions of O-line and special teams. I'll give special teams a mulligan because of injuries but it's time for Campen to step up his game.

Whitt and Perry have worked miracles in that secondary, and although Kevin Greene cannot articulate very well, he knows the OLB position inside and out.

Ted Thompson selects the clay, but the guys molding it are masters of their craft too.

"beast" wrote:

I agree, we have a much better staff than when Mike McCarthy started. I hope Campen becomes good or is replaced, as much as I like him, especially with the young OLmen we have.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (2h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

19h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.