13 years ago

"I would have stayed until the sixth round if I knew I was going to Green Bay," he said

Awesome.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
Here is a slightly different account of the same story on Lex18.com 

Randall Cobb has used naysayers as motivation his entire career. He's too small. He's too slow. You know the drill.

So when he was invited to the NFL draft with 25 other players, there were some who wondered why. Then, he waited. The first round came and went. He started getting a little anxious as the second round was nearing an end. Then he heard his name. With the final pick in the second round, he was selected by the Green Bay Packers. Now his motivation is on all those teams that passed him over. But in the end, he says he ended up right where he belongs.

"It's probably the best thing that could have happened to me, to wait as long as I did and go to the team I did. God works in mysterious ways. For me to have the opportunity to play for Green Bay, such a powerful organization, so well known and so much tradition there, it's going to be a great experience," said Cobb.

"The first night, seeing everybody leave was a little hard on my family, not so much me, but more my family. The second day I went in there with the mindset of hopefully I'm getting off the table today. When the receivers started going it was a little bit of, 'Where am I going?' But like I said, God works in mysterious ways. I feel it's probably the best position out of any of the receivers."

Cobb didn't have any idea which team would draft him. After the combine, he had a feeling some were more interested in others, but the Packers never really entered his mind.

"I talked to them at the combine but that was the only time I talked to them. The more I learned about this process, the more it shows that some teams show interest but some teams don't show interest so they can pick you up whenever they get the chance. It's just a great experience and I'm happy to be where I am."

With the NFL lockout ongoing, Cobb is unable to get a playbook or work out with his future teammates. He's going to try to hook up with Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers this weekend, who is in Kentucky for the Derby. But as far as when he can get to work, he has no idea.

"I don't know. I know as much as you all know. (I know) What I see on TV and what my agent tells me every now and then. But there's not too much that I can do about it so I just try to focus on what I can handle and that's being prepared and being ready whenever the lockout's over and we start training," said Cobb.

He was as beloved as any player at UK during the last decade and he's already starting to understand just how rabid the fans are in Green Bay.

"So much love. You know I'm big on Twitter. I went from 16,000 (followers) to 22,000-23,000 (followers) in less than three nights. They just send me so many messages every day. I'm trying to have a contest up there and get a chance to get up there and meet some of the fans and learn about the city and the history of the Packers. It's been remarkable, just the things they've been saying. They all seem happy that I'm there and happy that I'm going to be a part of their family now."

He's ready to start his NFL career. It's what he's dreamed about. But Kentucky will always hold a special place in his heart. His only regret, that he doesn't leave here with a 'mission accomplished' feeling.

"I feel like I left it as mission in progress. I feel like we've made some steps and hopefully we've laid a foundation that the young guys can build on and the future Wildcats can build on. I hope that I left a sense of, we've got to get the job done. We've been close and we've got to a position where we can win, we just have to be to able to win now."

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
I was reading this at lunch and I couldn't help but wonder why the NFL would invite players that they suspected of being taken in the 2nd round.

I know there were a few first round picks that chose not to attend. I believe Carimi said that he had classes to attend on Friday or something like that. I assume that there were a few who listened to the request of the players [strike]union [/strike] trade association and did not attend.

It was one thing when there was more than one round on the first day. how hard it must be for the players to sit through the whole round Thursday and then have to come back again on Friday.

The NFL should keep it a little more simple and humane. Invite 10 players that they think will make it on Day One. I am sure most of the 2nd/3rd round selections do not sit at home and sulk that they didn't get invited to the Big Apple. They have their little draft parties at their parent's house or maybe their coaches home. Keep the cameras out. And let them injoy themselves.

As long as I am on a rant, I don't really care for the cameras getting shoved in the faces of the players before their names are even announced. Give them a few minutes on the phone with their new teams and with their family before the all seeing eye is thrust upon them.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

'Where am I going?' But like I said, God works in mysterious ways. I feel it's probably the best position out of any of the receivers."

Sorry Cobb, but God really doesn't follow sports. (Other than hating the Vikings).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Chutzpah515
13 years ago

Sorry Cobb, but God really doesn't follow sports. (Other than hating the Vikings).

"zombieslayer" wrote:

If God hates the Vikings how were they able to get Ponder? :icon_smile:
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago

"Chutzpah515" wrote:

God hates the Vikings, that's why they got Ponder

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Fixed it for ya
This is a placeholder
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

"Eponni peliss, onni rakkaudessa."
UserPostedImage
vikesrule
13 years ago

I have a good feeling about him. Reminds me of Percy Harvin.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

:onfloor:

Whew...ZS, you really crack me up sometimes.

Your oxymoronic reference with Harvin and Cobb is pure comedic genius.

A slapnuts to you my cheesehead amigo, for bringing such levity to what was an otherwise a mundane Friday. :thumbright:
DakotaT
13 years ago

I have a good feeling about him. Reminds me of Percy Harvin.

"vikesrule" wrote:

:onfloor:

Whew...ZS, you really crack me up sometimes.

Your oxymoronic reference with Harvin and Cobb is pure comedic genius.

A slapnuts to you my cheesehead amigo, for bringing such levity to what was an otherwise a mundane Friday. :thumbright:

"zombieslayer" wrote:

What's going to be funny is watching that group of slow free safeties you call a secondary trying to shut down our passing game. Viking game plan - let every pass be completed and we'll try and tackle them before they get 9 yards.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

"Eponni peliss, onni rakkaudessa."

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

God dammit stop writing finnish!
This is a placeholder
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (4h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (4h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (4h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (4h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (4h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (6h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (7h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (11h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (11h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
22m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.