wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Six Injured Players Who May Not Return Next Season  

After reading this article on players who may not return in 2011  for the Green Bay Packers, it lead me to focus on six players who are all under contract for 2011, paid like starters (whether they deserve it or not), and returning in 2011 from a season ending injury. I don't know how all these players are doing in rehab this offseason, so I'm just speculating on their health. It really doesn't matter if their physically able to play now anyway. The key for them will be their health in August. But it appears that the organization might have moved on without them.

All salaries are from JS Online . The list is from the most likely to depart to the least likely to depart.

RT Mark Tauscher. $3.681 million in 2010. It seemed unlikely he'd return to football after his season ending injury in 2008, but the team was so desperate after the failure of RT Allen Barbre that he returned mid-2009. It was a good move to re-sign him in March 2010, but that was before they knew they'd be able to draft RT Bryan Bulaga in the first round. Now they've added a second first round tackle (Derek Sherrod) in consecutive years. Maybe he's informally retired, and it will be made official after the lockout is lifted. If he does want to return, releasing him and re-signing him to a veteran minimum contract might be a good idea.

LB Nick Barnett. $5.4 million in 2010. With the emergence of LB Desmond Bishop, and the new contracts given to both Bishop and LB A.J. Hawk, he's a starter without a position. It's a great that the team to has three quality starters to choose from, but they probably can't afford to keep them all. He can still play, so he's worth a mid-round pick, but his base salary might be untradeable.

LB Brandon Chillar. $4.281 million in 2010. He received a big contract extension in 2009 on the assumption that he'd replace Hawk in coverage on passing downs. But after Hawk's 2010 season, and his own new contract, it's not clear what role Chillar will be next season. Mike McCarthy pointed out that this was Chillar's third shoulder surgery, so his ongoing health might be the issue that leads to his release. Maybe the coaches plan on using him as the top backup, though he wasn't great during a 2010 preseason cameo at outside linebacker. They certainly won't keep Barnett and Chillar, but I'm not convinced they'll keep either player.

DE Justin Harrell. $2.151 million in 2010. It goes without saying that the injury prone player has to come back healthy this season. Do they even want to risk millions of dollars on another injury, and another lost season? Should they release him before he is hurt again? Or maybe it's worth the risk to keep him through another training camp?

LB Brady Poppinga. $2.4 million in 2010. With so many options at outside linebacker, and he hasn't been a starter since 2008, it seems like he's an easy player to release. But the coaches love him, and he could emerge from training camp as the top backup outside linebacker. Would they keep him over someone like LB Erik Walden?

RB Ryan Grant. $5.766 million in 2010. That's a big salary for someone who only played in one game last season. I expect he'll be back as the starter. But if you think RB James Starks has moved ahead of him, then it makes no sense to keep a six million dollar backup.

Harrell will be back for one more look.
Grant IS the starter. At least for the first 1/3 of the season.
I would not be surprised if Chillar makes the team as a backup.
Poppinga will get a look see as a back up and ST player. If the younger guys out play him he is gone.
Tauscher and Barnett are both gone.
UserPostedImage
StoicFire
12 years ago
Didn't McCarthy declare open competition for the starting running back job? I expect Grant to have a perhaps the best shot at it, I just wasn't so confident that he would necessarily be the starter week 1.

Also, I really hope they hold on to Chillar. I think he may be that "top backup" that the article describes b/c he is so athletic that he can play inside or outside. Not only that, but he is so versatile we had a formation that we used when he was healthy called the "big okie" which brought him on the field in the place of a strong saftey. I guess what I'm saying is that I have so many fond memories of Chillar (such as hurdling Bear's Wolfe on an outside blitz or shutting down Indy's Wayne in one-on-one coverage during preseason) that I'd hate to see him off the team in 2011. If he can manage to stay healthy, he seems too good to let go of in my opinion.
"the Quarterback can run if he wants to, but with this rocket attached to your body... who would?" -Aaron Rodgers
Stevetarded
12 years ago
I could see Harrell coming back and being put on PUP for mid-season insurance. That way you get to evaluate him for the first half of the season and he gets plenty of time to try and stay healthy without costing a roster spot.
blank
porky88
12 years ago
Grant is for sure coming back. James Starks runs very high and he's going to be prone to injury as a result. I think there are durability questions with him. Not to mention I'd probably put Grant ahead of him right now, but certainly, their formidable 1-2 punch. Why split them up now?

I think Chiller is coming back. The Packers need depth at ILB and Chiller can still play a role in sub packages.

A ton of teams will covet Barnett’s versatility. He's had success in both the 3-4 and 4-3 schemes. What era are we talking about here? In the 90s, 5.4 million was a lot of money. Right now, that's a reasonable get for someone like Barnett. Frankly, he'd get more on the open market if they released him.

I suspect there will be a market for Barnett’s services.
dhpackr
12 years ago
IMO, Grant and Barnett will be back, the others not so much.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
earthquake
12 years ago
Tauch - gone, I imagine he will retire

Barnett - likely gone, traded or cut. There is a small chance he will stay, Thompson has historically has shown a willingness to let a player play out their contract.

Poppinga - gone, cut. There are 4 young guys with more potential or who are currently better than him in: Walden, Jones, Zombo and Elmore. GB likes to keep its draft picks so it would be unlikely to say they part with Elmore, the other three have shown more ability in the 3-4 system than Poppinga, and GB may only keep 3 of these 5 guys, add in an undrafted prospect or two and competition for the other OLB spot and the backup OLB spots will be tight. I dont see a guy who was a best an average starter, and at worst totally out of position as a 3-4 OLB being held onto much longer at that price.

Harell - Dear god, I hope they finally cut the guy, but they probably wont, just to spite me and everyone else. Just give that roster spot to someone who has a real chance to play.

Grant - No chance, Grant will either be on the active roster, likely the day one starter, or he'll end up on PUP because of lingering injury concerns, AT WORST grant will be on IR another year, he will not be cut or traded. Last season showed how important RB depth is.
blank
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Grant start the season, not much question in my mind about that. Starks runs high and I think Grant does too. So does Adrian Peterson. I thought Peterson's running style would cut his career short. Doesn't look like that will be the case, fortunately for him.

Harrell won't cost us hardly anything to keep him around, but even that small change, is it worth it? (anyone have his contract details?)

Barnett ... I could see him being traded for maybe a 4th round pick or solid backup on the OL? I don't really know, but wouldn't be surprised to see him gone before week 8, or whenever the trade deadline has exceeded. I think he starts the year on the Packers as more insurance.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago
Ryan Grant did not belong on this list, especially with the silly statement, " That's a big salary for someone who only played in one game last season." Um, he was injured. It happens. And he is already fully recovered from his injury. It is not expected to be chronic.

Of the other guys mentioned, I think Chillar is the only one who is likely stick around this season. He's a good backup.
blank
zombieslayer
12 years ago
Grant will be back for at least one season. It depends if Starks pans out or not or if Starks is our next Gado.

Ted will try to trade N Barnett to a 4-3 team. He's not made for 3-4.

Tauscher will retire.

We'll keep either Chillar or Poppinga but not both.

Harrell will be back as well. I found out why. Ted Thompson is bringing Harrell back just to piss me off.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Harrell will be back as well. I found out why. Ted Thompson is bringing Harrell back just to piss me off.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

At least it's a reason we can all agree is justifiable. See what I did there?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (11h) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.