Porforis
12 years ago

We dumped Comcast last week. Well technically we still have them until the 18th of the month but don't use them. Lower price was only one of the reasons. The main one was that Comcast kept dropping service. Sometimes it was 10 times in a day. Sometimes it was only for a minute other times for more than an hour. Terribly frustrating. When we called them to see what the problem was they acted like they never heard of the issue before. I know it has been a problem for a long time as my brother has their service in another town 5 miles from me he is always calling my office asking us to do a change for a client as his office internet was down.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Comcast's residential customer service is junk, if you don't know the basics of how cable/cable modems operate you're often screwed until the third or fourth time they send someone out to your house and they finally decide to send out one of their actual line technicians. Their business techs are actually pretty damn good in my experience though. One of those things where a little knowledge will turn "Well, everything looks good on our end" to "Oh, it does look like you've been having problems".
Formo
12 years ago
The big reason behind the bandwidth caps are due to increased streaming (Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, YouTube, etc). It's essentially cheaper for consumers to go that route (despite increasing subscription charges) and not pay for the 100+ channel TV services. My tv bill? $45/month for internet and $7/month for Netflix (as soon as they change their service). So, for about $60/month I get pretty much whatever TV show/movie I want to watch, whenever I want. All for the same price that Joe Blow across the hall pays for cable. Oh, and I get full internet usage, meanwhile Joe across the hall has to pay another $40 for his internet.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Porforis
12 years ago

I was poking around my Comcast bill and found that I have a limit on my bandwidth. It's set at 250GB a month, for both upload and download combined. What a bummer. We're on day 8 of the month and I've used 60GB.

Comcast @ $59.95 + $7 modem fee (Greeley, CO)
Downloads up to 6Mbps, uploads up to 1Mbps.
Monthly total, $69.97

Time Warner @ 44.95 no modem fee (Green Bay, WI)
Downloads up to 7Mbps, uploads up to 512 Kbps
Monthly total, $49.??

I suppose one would chalk this up to the higher cost of living in CO over WI.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I almost never use more than ~6Mbps downstream, but that 512k upload might be a bit too slow depending upon what you're doing, especially when uploading highlight videos and if one were hypothetically stream video of charity events and the like. 1Mbps would still make me wary, on a 12x2 plan with Comcast I get anywhere between 16x3 to 22x4.5. Granted, my upload needs are a bit more than most users based on my work needs but 1Mbps up would probably mean problems for me.

I'm moving to Milwaukee this weekend and as a result will need to switch to Time Warner, I don't know if Time Warner will give you bandwidth on a best-effort basis like Comcast or if they hard cap it at the rate you're paying for, but if you want I can let you know once I have my service set up next week. I'll be getting a 10Mbps plan, but from what I read Time Warner screws you with upload bandwidth even for their premium cable packages.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Move into a house with an extra bedroom. I'm on my way. 3 months tops. I'll land a new job and place of my own within 90 days for sure. It's a deal.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
12 years ago

I have two outlets, one in the living room, one in the master room.

Living Room
Download: 14Mbps
Upload: 3.4Mbps

Master Room
Download: 2.90Mbps
Upload: 4.01Mbps

WTF??>?

You might have an extra splitter between the cable source and the jack in the master room as opposed to the living room, or it could be something as "simple" as a bad/cheap cable run or jack.

You could set up a service call and hope they fix everything the first time, but if it's a wiring issue in the house you'll probably get billed for it. If possible, I'd strongly recommend just going with one modem and use a router rather than having two modems. Best case scenario would be to run cat5 to the master room, if that's not possible wireless is the next best solution. If that doesn't work either for your needs, you could get fancy with one of a few other options.

PLC (Powerline communications). Best case scenario you'd get full speeds, but has the most potential for problems and is the hardest to fix.
VDSL point to point modems if you don't use the phones in your house and don't have any service and want to screw around with patching things properly (VersaTek VEB-160R4s are a good bet for cheapness but good quality)
Coax point to point modems if you don't have cable TV in the master bedroom and want to screw around with the coax in your house.

I'm a huge networking nerd so these are all things I'd love screwing around with, but at the very least I'd strongly recommend ditching that second modem and just running off of one if it's at all possible to get internet to the master room through other means.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I only have one modem.

The living room outlet failed, so I hooked into the master room outlet and got a connection.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
12 years ago

I only have one modem.

The living room outlet failed, so I hooked into the master room outlet and got a connection.

Oh, that sucks then. Best case scenario, if you know someone locally (friend/etc) with some basic cable experience they can either fix whatever went bad with the living room outlet or at least improve the connection for the master bedroom, I'm guessing it lies behind an extra splitter or there might be a bad connection somewhere that would be relatively simple to fix. But yeah, Comcast would charge you to come out and fix anything inside your house as far as cable runs or cable outlets unless they were the ones that installed them. If you were being serious and literal about that moving thing earlier it might not be worth screwing around with.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
They have someone coming out Saturday early morning to fix it. I've called I think it was 8 or 9 times since August 10th about the same problem.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
12 years ago

They have someone coming out Saturday early morning to fix it. I've called I think it was 8 or 9 times since August 10th about the same problem.

Wow, that's pretty bad even as far as Comcast goes. If they're not sending out a dedicated line tech or one of their business techs, it's probably going to be a waste of your time (again). This will probably go without saying but don't let him out the door until you're rocking somewhere close to the advertised speed, and don't let them use the "well, the speed isn't guaranteed" line. Yes, it's not guaranteed, but the bandwidth you're getting right now is pitiful and any competent line tech could fix it in one, maybe two visits depending upon the problem. If they botch it again and if I were in your shoes, I'd totally switch companies and pay about the same for lesser performance just so I didn't have to waste so much time on these idiots. Might be a good thing to tell someone over at their dispatch center too, but that's more screwing around in and of itself.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
They sent out a line tech Friday afternoon and apparently he fixed a few things. When the tech's come here, the connection works great in the living room. I haven't had them check the master bedroom because I don't want the modem in here. I have three, four wired connections in the living room. I won't be running a cat5 line from my room, through the kitchen to the living room to connect to the router.

I'm gonna just do my damnest to make dude replace the line all together.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (4h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (5h) : damn those vikings
beast (5h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (6h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (6h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (6h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (6h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (12h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (13h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (13h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
51m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

57m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.