nerdmann
12 years ago
http://packerupdate.net/?p=11914 

When a reporter tried to give Ron Wolf credit for drafting Donald Driver in the last round of the 1999 draft, the straight-shooting former general manager of the Packers set the record straight. “If I were that smart,” he admitted, “I would’ve taken him a lot earlier.” It’s safe to assume Wolf’s protegé, Ted Thompson, would say something similar about signing Sam Shields as an undrafted free agent on Apr. 28, 2010. Looking back, it’s hard to imagine that 32 teams – including Green Bay – didn’t deem the speedy cornerback worth even a seventh-round pick. You know what’s even harder to imagine? The Packers winning their fourth Lombardi Trophy and 13th world championship without the former wide receiver from the University of Miami.

Just imagine how different things would’ve been on defense had Shields not accepted Green Bay’s modest $7,500 signing bonus. Jarrett Bush almost certainly would’ve opened the season as the No. 3 corner after Brandon Underwood and Pat Lee flamed out during training camp. Think Dom Capers would’ve been willing to play as much press-man coverage with Bush on the field? And what about Charles Woodson? He went to yet another Pro Bowl after lining up 80% of the time in the slot, where his toughness and short-area quickness allowed him to excel. Without Shields, the 34-year-old might’ve had to play a lot more from the outside, where his diminished speed would’ve been a liability.

There’s no way to predict how many games Green Bay would’ve won without Shields, but it’s safe to say the number would’ve been below the 10 that was needed to qualify for the playoffs. And even if the Packers somehow managed to sneak into the postseason, their road to the Super Bowl almost certainly would’ve ended in either Philadelphia or Chicago. Watch those two games again and see just how effectively Shields played. The 23-year-old was able to hold up one-on-one against Jeremy Maclin in the Wild Card game, which allowed Capers to keep two defenders on the dangerous DeSean Jackson at all times. Two weeks later in the NFC Championship, he had a pair of huge interceptions. The first kept the Bears from scoring at the end of the first half and the second ended the game with the home team driving for a potential tying touchdown late in the fourth quarter.

And here’s the scary thing – as well as Shields performed last season, he’s nowhere near a finished product. He’s only played on defense since 2009, so he’s still very raw. And his blazing speed couldn’t always make up for numerous rookie mistakes – both mental and physical. That’s obvious when you look at the statistics. He gave up the second-most touchdown passes (four) and allowed the most number of plays of 20 yards or more (10).

With Shields and Tramon Williams, the Packers should be set at cornerback for the foreseeable future. That has to be a comforting feeling when you consider just how hard it is to find capable players at this key position. Remember Fred Vinson, Ahmad Carroll and Joey Thomas? All were high picks who couldn’t cut it in the NFL. So the next time you here somebody say that drafting is an inexact science, believe it. Thirty-two teams passed on Shields anywhere from five to 12 times in 2010. And the next time you hear a GM say it’s better to be lucky than good, believe that too. Seven teams offered Shields a contract, and for some reason, he chose Green Bay. So while Thompson was very good last year, he probably wouldn’t be picking up a ring next week if he also wasn’t a little lucky.

PU wrote:

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
millertime
12 years ago
Love this kids potential. He seems to have a great attitude and work ethic. Probably my favorite pick up from last year.
beast
12 years ago
CB is a position I worry about. If one of the top 3 go down then the Packers are in a bit of trouble. As none of the other CBs have stepped up.

I would like Capers to have a back-up plan for the nickel in case one of them goes down other than just plugging in the next CB.

Why not a 3 S nickel? Capers has done it before on other teams. Pepreh at SS and Collins/Burnett playing FS or the hybrid CB/LB role... I think Collins would be better at the hybrid role because Burnett sometimes tries to avoid contact too much. So Burnett would then play FS (which I think is his natural position but with Collins there he got moved to SS)
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
I hope Woodson can stick around another 2-3 years to help in the development of Shields and the other CBs.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

CB is a position I worry about. If one of the top 3 go down then the Packers are in a bit of trouble. As none of the other CBs have stepped up.

Originally Posted by: beast 

What other team has a top three similar to the Packers and what teams wouldn't be hurting if one of their top three CB's went down? I think this is a lesser way of saying if the QB goes down the team is in trouble.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago
We're stacked, imo. Tramon, Woody, Shields, Davon House. After that, we've got Pat Lee, Bush and Underwood, any of whom could take a step up this year. We've also got Morgan Burnett who could play the dime back with Peprah filling in at S. Hell, we could probably give Al Harris a call in a pinch.
Thanks to TT, this team has more depth than any team in league history.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
Last year before Bell hurt his foot, I would have put him ahead of Lee, Bush and Underwood.

If he can make it back, and doesn't leave over not getting a ring, I think he has a chance to be the dime.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
beast
12 years ago

We're stacked, imo. Tramon, Woody, Shields, Davon House. After that, we've got Pat Lee, Bush and Underwood, any of whom could take a step up this year.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Not sure I'd be putting House before those others just yet...

What other team has a top three similar to the Packers and what teams wouldn't be hurting if one of their top three CB's went down? I think this is a lesser way of saying if the QB goes down the team is in trouble.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I agree with what your saying but playing man to man with the CBs is a big part of this defense as it frees up the other guys to do their thing. If you can cover guys man to man with only one Safety over the top like the Packers have been doing that gives him an edge. I'd like to be able to keep that edge even if a CB would get injured. Some one who would be able to step up into the nickel role very well.

I just want a good answer in case a top CB gets hurt... at QB we know Flynn is coming in.

Of course I like to suggest the idea of them practicing a 3 Safety nickel package. Think about it...

Peprah at SS, Burnett at FS (both which I think are their natural positions) and Collins at the Woodson hybrid role... (Collins because Burnett sometimes tried avoided contact last year... and they need a guy who's willing to be physical at that position).

I didn't follow Capers with the Texans but some say they ran a 3 Safety nickel while he was there.

Also last year the Packers ran a 2-4 nickel package where the OLB when up to the line and Collins went to the LB level leaving Burnett as the sole S deep... so it was a 2-4 nickel package that looked like a 4-3 with one S and 3 CBs.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (11h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (14h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (16h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (18h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (18h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (18h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.