wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
LeBron, Wade feign illness before Gm. 5

Dirk Nowitzki's sinus infection and the ensuing storyline apparently was a source of amusement for Miami Heat superstars Dwyane Wade and LeBron James before Game 5.

As they walked out of American Airlines Center after Thursday morning's shootaround, Wade and James pretended to cough and wheeze, smirking as they repeatedly covered their mouths with their shirts while being filmed by Miami CBS affiliate WFOR.

"Whoa, did y'all hear me cough? I think I'm sick," Wade said before turning toward James and chuckling.

This came two days after Nowitzki scored 21 points, including a critical driving layup in the last minute, while playing with a 101-degree fever during the Dallas Mavericks' NBA Finals-tying Game 4 win.

NBA Finals on ESPN.com

Heat Mavericks The Mavericks and Heat face off for the NBA championship. Follow the matchup on ESPN.com:

Wade had already made it clear that he believed the story of Nowitzki playing through illness and injury -- the Mavericks' superstar tore the tendon in his left middle finger in the series opener -- had been overblown.

"I have respect for him as a great player. I'm not going to get into the injuries," Wade said Wednesday. "Everyone is injured at this time. I'm not going to get into the fun-loving story of him being sick, either. Once you show up on the court, you show up on the court. Everyone is equal.

"He's a great player without all the dramatics of the stories that's been going on."

Wade, who once had a shoe commercial that glorified his toughness, is dealing with his own injury now. He suffered a bruised left hip during a first-quarter collision with Dallas reserve forward Brian Cardinal during Miami's Game 5 loss Thursday night, causing him to miss two extended stretches of the game.

"I don't talk about injuries," Wade said. "It's unfortunate that I had to leave the game, but I came back and I finished it. ... Once you're on the court, you're on the court. I don't have no excuses."

Nowitzki still had a slight cough Thursday night, but his fever was down and he felt fine while scoring 29 points to help the Mavs take a 3-2 series lead.

"He may not be 100 percent," coach Rick Carlisle said, "but he seemed to be OK."

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Perhaps LeBron and Dwyane should worry more about their own play than the drama?
UserPostedImage
Formo
12 years ago

Perhaps LeBron and Dwyane should worry more about their own play than the drama?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Exactly what I was thinking. It's unfortunate I can't watch any of the NHL or NBA championship series games because of work scheduling, so I always feel like I'm missing out on the action. But I will say this, though.. I'm pulling big time for the Mavs. I'm sick of hearing about LeBron. And even Wade, too.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Exactly what I was thinking. It's unfortunate I can't watch any of the NHL or NBA championship series games because of work scheduling, so I always feel like I'm missing out on the action. But I will say this, though.. I'm pulling big time for the Mavs. I'm sick of hearing about LeBron. And even Wade, too.

Originally Posted by: Formo 

I've liked Wade, because he went to a "local" college, but I'd rather see the Mavericks win because I don't much care for the LeBron hype anymore. The Decision turned me. He's fun to watch, when he decides to dominate.
UserPostedImage
Formo
12 years ago

I've liked Wade, because he went to a "local" college, but I'd rather see the Mavericks win because I don't much care for the LeBron hype anymore. The Decision turned me. He's fun to watch, when he decides to dominate.

Someone asked this question and I thought it was pretty funny..

Do you guys remember the last time Michael Jordan lost a 15 point lead in the playoffs?

Neither do I.

-=stares at 'King' James...=-
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Someone asked this question and I thought it was pretty funny..

Do you guys remember the last time Michael Jordan lost a 15 point lead in the playoffs?

Neither do I.

-=stares at 'King' James...=-

Originally Posted by: Formo 

When I heard Scottie Pippen say that LeBron James is better than Michael Jordan, I thought to myself, "Bullshit, Jordan RIGHT NOW could get more than 8 points in the Finals".
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago

When I heard Scottie Pippen say that LeBron James is better than Michael Jordan, I thought to myself, "Bullshit, Jordan RIGHT NOW could get more than 8 points in the Finals".

Pippen is and always has been jealous of Michael. Mike was never the quitter that Scottie was. 125 degree fever and he would be out there tossing in 60.
UserPostedImage
Formo
12 years ago

Pippen is and always has been jealous of Michael. Mike was never the quitter that Scottie was. 125 degree fever and he would be out there tossing in 60.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Yup.

That reminds me of MJ's induction speech into the HOF. I was one of the few that loved what he had to say.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago
it doesn't go away.

You have to give LeBron James credit. No, you really do. This is a guy who knows the world outside of South Florida doesn't like him, or didn't like him after The Decision. Maybe the world likes him now, or is trying to get there again. It could go either way.

And LeBron doesn't care.

It's almost like he wants you to despise him. So you know what? Go ahead. Give him what he wants.

Maybe you missed the latest, where LeBron and his partner in dumb, Dwyane Wade, mocked Dirk Nowitzki for daring to be sick during the NBA Finals. That twosome was caught on video walking around the Mavericks' home arena -- Dirk's house -- with shirts over their faces, coughing, asking each other, "Did you hear me cough?"

And giggling.

And when I say they were "caught," that's not really accurate. They weren't busted. They walked out of their locker room Thursday, saw the cameras, and on cue broke into the Walking Flu act. It was choreographed, obviously.

And they did it again Saturday, when the media found the time and place to ask James and Wade -- and also Nowitzki, who was understandably put off -- about the video. James and Wade met the media individually, each spending roughly 10 minutes in front of cameras. Wade was asked 15 questions. James was asked 11.

Both players coughed while listening to one question, and only one question. You know which question.

James went even farther. As the question unfolded and he heard the magic words about "a video circulating that's gathering buzz," James sniffed loudly. Then he grabbed his shirt and pulled it over his face. Then he turned and coughed.

You see what's happening, right? James and Wade think they have this inside joke, this secret little gag that nobody else is smart enough to pick up on. Then when the world does pick up on it -- because they're just not that clever -- they get defensive.

After sniffling and covering his face and coughing, James refused to answer the question about mocking Nowitzki.

"I'm not feeding into that," he said. "If you guys want to feed into everything [we] do ... I think that's a non-issue. There's bigger issues in this series than that."

Sure there are. LeBron's shrinkage is one. Wade's latest injury and heroic comeback in Game 5 (has anyone ever been hurt more and recovered faster than this immortal?) is another. The Heat flopping like flounders, begging for bogus foul calls, is another. We could go on and on about the bigger issues in this series, but James and Wade served themselves up on a platter by mocking the best player in this series.

Yet they seem shocked, shocked, that we sit down and have a meal.

Here's what Wade said, when he wasn't coughing up a lung, about mocking Nowitzki:

"First of all," he said, "it wasn't fake coughing. I actually did cough. And with the cameras being right there, we made a joke out of it because we knew you guys were going to blow it up. You did exactly what we knew. We never said Dirk's name. I think he's not the only one in the world who can get sick or have a cough. We just had fun with the cameras being right in our face about the blowup of the incident, and it held to be true. You blew it up."

We never said Dirk's name.

To quote Rick Carlisle in his Game 4 smack-down of a butt-kissing question, "Who is this guy?"

The thing is, James could be a sympathetic figure. Lord knows the country bought into that after Game 3, when one brave soul asked him about his poor play in the fourth quarter in the first three games. The country decided the guy asking the question was a jerk, and the country was right. The reporter was a jerk -- it was a legitimate question, but it was phrased unnecessarily confrontationally. After gutting the questioner with a scalpel and a smile, James had public sentiment on his side. He blew it, of course, by validating the question with his indisputable Game 4 shrinkage and then with a Game 5 triple-double of Mini-Me proportions, capped by an invisible fourth quarter.

And now this. Mocking someone on the Mavericks. And listen, there are Mavericks to be mocked, and nobody would mind. Cocky Jason Terry, saying James couldn't guard him for 48 minutes? Kooky DeShawn Stevenson, jabbing James with a stick every chance he gets? Those guys are begging to be mocked, and even the most ardent Mavericks fan would understand. What comes around, goes around.

But mocking Nowitzki? Him? He's the nicest guy on the floor, and he's playing with a torn tendon in a finger, and he played Game 4 with a 101-degree fever. And Nowitzki has downplayed both issues, saying the injury and the illness would have no bearing before the games even began.

When he was asked Saturday about being mocked, Nowitzki also had a physical reaction, though he didn't theatrically cough as James and Wade had. He smiled. Broke into a big ol' grin, just for a second, then swallowed it.

Then he devoured James and Wade in eight words, speaking as he has been scoring. Efficiently. Brutally.

"It was a little childish," Nowitzki said. "A little ignorant."

Childish fits, seeing how James is Peter Pan, living in a make-believe world where sycophants kiss his ass. He never grew up, and maybe never will. Sadly, classy Dwyane Wade hasn't been a good influence on James. Nope. James is dragging Wade down to his level. They're Peter Pan and Tinkerbell.

These are your best players, Miami Heat fans. This is your team. You damn well better like them.

Who else could?

UserPostedImage
yooperfan
12 years ago
I want to see LeFraud James go down in flames!
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (12h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (13h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (13h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (16h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (16h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.