wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
The Uncertain Future of Receiver James "Rocksteady" Jones 

f you're a 20-something fan like me (and I should apologize to the readers who may have no idea what I'm talking about in the following lines), the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were likely one of your favorite cartoons growing up. If that's the case, you'll also likely remember "Rocksteady," one of the evil henchmen that the four turtles routinely fought against.

Naturally, I'm sure you're thinking: What in the world does this have to do with Packers receiver James Jones?

To be honest, there's very little comparison between the two in either appearance or personality. Jones is neither a bi-pedal rhino or a crime-loving henchman from my own observations.

But the nickname? It's perfect for Jones.

He's proven to have "Rock" hands in some of the worst situations over his short career, dropping a handful of big passes in 2010 that nearly cost the Packers several games. Drops against the Jets, Eagles and Steelers are the first to come to my mind, but there has been several others.

And I think most fans will admit that they've grown tired of passes that have no business being dropped hitting the turf because of Jones. Honestly, who didn't post something on Twitter in the moments after Jones's drop against the Eagles in the Wild Card round about his long-term future in Green Bay?

In fact, I'm sure there will be comments on this very post that say they want nothing to do with Jones because of those drops—and that's understandable.

But to be fair to Jones, you also have to say he's been "steady" too.

As the Packers' third, and sometimes fourth, receiving option over the past four years, Jones has caught 149 passes for over 2,000 yards and 13 touchdowns. During his two best seasons (2007 and '10), Jones caught over 45 passes for nearly 700 yards in both years. What more could you expect or want out of a guy in his role?

To that point, I think there is very few who would say Jones isn't a talented receiver. Even if the Packers' offense gives him favorable opportunities, you have to be able to take advantage of those mismatches—and Jones, for the most part, has done that.

So as a soon-to-be free agent, where does that leave the future of James "Rocksteady" Jones?

It'll likely come down to two things: the green backs—and we're not talking about a species of turtles—and starting potential.

If a receiver-needy team, such as the Bears or Redskins, offers him the right price, could you really blame Jones for leaving Green Bay?

He said at the team's unveiling of the Super Bowl DVD that he wants an opportunity to start in the NFL, and I think he has the talent to be a good No. 2 for a team.

Here's what he told ESPN Milwaukee's Jason Wilde after the unveiling on March 7th:

"My main thing going through all this is, do I want to be a starter in the National Football League? No question. Do I feel like I'm a starter? No question. I know we've got something great here. I mean, this team could win some championships for the next couple years. But at the same time, I do want to be a starter."

But he's not going to find those things with the Packers. Management has bigger monetary priorities over the next few seasons (Jermichael Finley, Josh Sitton, Clay Matthews) to give Jones the kind of money he might find in another city. And even with Donald Driver getting older, Jones would still have to fight Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson and Finley for looks from Aaron Rodgers over the next few years.

But we also can't forget Randall Cobb, whom the Packers spent a second round pick on in April's draft. While I'm not sure I see Cobb making a big splash on offense in year one, the Packers have more than enough offensive weapons to compensate for losing Jones without Cobb completely replacing his production.

Think about it for a second—Green Bay's passing offense has Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Cobb, Finley, Andrew Quarless and D.J. Williams as legitimate pass-catchers for next season. Some combination of those guys will surely be able to make up the 50 catches and 679 yards that Jones brought to the table in 2010.

In reality, it could be harder for Jones to approach even those numbers in 2011 with all the talent the Packers have on offense.

So while having him back in 2011 is still appealing—especially if there are injuries to any of the receivers—it may already be a foregone conclusion that Rocksteady will be elsewhere next season.

And if Jones stays true to form, that city will certainly be happy with the "steady" that he brings. I'd say there is no reason why Jones couldn't catch 70 passes or break 1,000 yards as the No. 2 receiver for a team that has a good quarterback.

But us Packers fans can all have a little chuckle amongst ourselves when the "Rock" that we all know and love strikes again—especially if he's playing Chicago. An evil henchman Jones may actually be next season.

UserPostedImage
Tezzy
12 years ago
That nickname is the spot on truth. I still think the steady outweighs the rock in his performances this past season. But I can understand fans being on either side of this fence. Keeping him as a 3rd or 4th option is a luxury that I would prefer to keep. All in all, enjoyable article. They were able to be critical without being rude which I appreciate especially for a bleacher report.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
porky88
12 years ago
If the NFL uses the 2010 free agency rules for the 2011 free agency, James Jones is a restricted free agent. Therefore, someone would have to give up a draft pick in order to sign him. I do not recall what tender he received, but at the very least, the Packers are looking at a third round draft choice in exchange for Jones because Jones was a third round selection.

Nobody will give a third rounder for Jones in my opinion. If they do, I think you take the deal, especially with the value the Packers put on picks. I guess my point is that there is still a 50-50 chance Jones returns next season. I wouldn't rule him out just yet.
DoddPower
12 years ago

If the NFL uses the 2010 free agency rules for the 2011 free agency, James Jones is a restricted free agent. Therefore, someone would have to give up a draft pick in order to sign him. I do not recall what tender he received, but at the very least, the Packers are looking at a third round draft choice in exchange for Jones because Jones was a third round selection.

Nobody will give a third rounder for Jones in my opinion. If they do, I think you take the deal, especially with the value the Packers put on picks. I guess my point is that there is still a 50-50 chance Jones returns next season. I wouldn't rule him out just yet.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

I think Jones would definitely be worth a 3rd round pick. Sure, one MAY get a better player in the 3rd round, but it's more likely to get a player of lower quality. Jones is not great, but he is solid, even with the drops. Who knows, if he had an opportunity to be on the field almost every snap, he may take the next step forward. If I was a GM and could get Jones for a 3rd, I would be tripping over myself to get to the phone.

Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
He might take the next step, or he might just drop more balls in more key situations.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

He might take the next step, or he might just drop more balls in more key situations.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I was one of his biggest defenders last year. Up until the Playoffs, I got tired of defending him. I'd be happy with a 3rd for Jones now.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Greg C.
12 years ago

I was one of his biggest defenders last year. Up until the Playoffs, I got tired of defending him. I'd be happy with a 3rd for Jones now.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

I'm in the same boat. I defended him for most of the season, but I think it was the drop in the Philly game that was just one too many for me. I still think it would be nice to have him as a #3 or #4 receiver, but with Cobb in the mix now, Jones is more expendable. A third round pick could be spent on a position of greater need.
blank
beast
12 years ago
I don't see the NFLPA (the players) agreeing to the 2010 free agency rules. Not by choice anyways. I figure it will go back to the 2009 rules and all the players with 4 years or more will be UFAs.

Also I'm not sure why but it seems like of the Jones drops I remember most of them were when he had his man beat and he had a lot of room to run in front of him. Which seems a bit strange, I think it's normally the other way around, when they're worrying about where the defender is or getting hit hard.

He also made some very hard and very nice catches with defenders on him or around him. Like the Falcons playoff game TD he had, the CB had much better positioning than him and the ball should of been knocked away normally but Jones pulled it in.

I'd like to keep Jones, but I'm not sure if he'll be happy until he gets to start. With Jennings, Driver and Nelson that might not happen in Green Bay. Also got to think of it from the money side of things. Can the Packers reasonable sign both Jones and Nelson? Also will there be a cap in the new CBA?

I think the Packers might have to choose 2 of the 3 between Driver, Jones and Nelson and they're already picked Driver... and it's hard but I'd give Nelson a light edge. Nelson came on strong at the end of the season and I'm hoping that was his break out.
UserPostedImage
porky88
12 years ago

I don't see the NFLPA (the players) agreeing to the 2010 free agency rules. Not by choice anyways. I figure it will go back to the 2009 rules and all the players with 4 years or more will be UFAs.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I don't either, but the rules would only stay in effect for one more off-season and then it would revert to what we're used to in 2012. From what I understand, this is the most likely scenario because free agency will be maybe less than a month long this year.
beast
12 years ago

I don't either, but the rules would only stay in effect for one more off-season and then it would revert to what we're used to in 2012. From what I understand, this is the most likely scenario because free agency will be maybe less than a month long this year.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

I would enjoy it if it were the 2010 rules because that would mean the Packers have no UFAs to resign other than Jenkins. They all would be RFAs. Well the RFAs that the Packers didn't put a tender on would also be UFAs, but that would because the Packers are basically letting them go. I don't remember hearing them putting a tender on Bigby or Hall and I can't remember one way or the other about Spitz.

But I'm not sure why 2010 rules are most likely and I disagree with that thought. Because if they have any type of FA they could also let the unsigned 4 and 5 year vets be UFAs too just as well as they could RFAs.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (11h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.