Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

'Fighting an enemy that doesn't exist' 
Friday 03 June 2011 by Ian Sinclair

A CIA operative for 22 years, including three as the head of the Agency's Osama bin Laden unit from 1996-9, Michael Scheuer is no stranger to controversy.

His first book, written anonymously as he was still a serving CIA officer, compared bin Laden's public statements to those made by US revolutionary giants such as Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Paine.

Published in 2004, the 58-year-old American's second book Imperial Hubris was a bestselling full-frontal assault on the US government's "war on terror."

It was endorsed by none other than bin Laden himself.

"If you want to understand what's going on ... then read the book of Michael Scheuer," said the most wanted man in the world in 2007.

Scheuer was in Britain last month to promote his new biography of bin Laden and I caught up with him at his hotel in central London before he gave a public lecture at the London School of Economics.

"We've had three presidents, you've had two or three prime ministers, who have told the British and American people we are at war because Muslims hate freedom, they hate gender equality, they hate elections," he says.

"But if we were facing the people who were willing to blow themselves up because our daughters go to university it wouldn't even rise to a level of a nuisance."

So why are the US and Britain primary targets for al-Qaida?

"I think it's pretty clear," he says.

"They don't like what we do in their world - whether it is support for the Saudi police state or support for Israel or our presence on the Arab peninsula."

Not since Ho Chi Minh has the US had an enemy who has been so frank about their motivation for fighting and how they intend to win, Scheuer says.

"It's kind of a racist idea that somehow Muslims are so stupid that they are willing to kill themselves because we have McDonald's or because I have a beer after work."

As a result of this self-imposed ignorance, Scheuer believes the West has underestimated al-Qaida and is "fighting an enemy that doesn't exist."

The US Establishment - Democrats and Republicans - "are, quite simply, lying to Americans," Scheuer argued in his first book.

With his election to president in 2008, Barack Obama can be added to this rogues' gallery.

"Obama gave a speech on May 19 in which he called for regime change in six Muslim countries," Scheuer says.

"Had Bush made that speech and come to London I don't think Bush would have gotten the reception that Obama got."

Scheuer maintains that this top-level deceit continues because the US is unable to extract itself from the Middle East, after failing to act following the 1973 oil embargo.

"No politician wants to go to the electorate and say: 'We've been stupid and derelict and criminally negligent in not doing anything about energy'," he says.

"So what's easier to do than scaring people and avoiding any kind of discussion about whether a policy change could help remove the motivation from much of al-Qaida and also slow the process of the attraction of its ideas to the coming generation?"

While Morning Star readers will likely broadly agree with much of Scheuer's analysis, he is no dove, and he certainly not sympathetic to progressive politics in general.

On several occasions during the interview he disparagingly refers to Amnesty International, "the left" and the American Civil Liberties Union.

He argues this is "a substantive war" with an enemy that has to be defeated.

The killing of bin Laden by US special forces was "a great operation," he says, although the political aftermath was badly botched.

The impact of bin Laden's death on al-Qaida is significant but not fatal, Scheuer believes.

"The key to the whole situation is how the succession works out."

Although this is being presented in the West as a power struggle, Scheuer maintains that "the reason it is taking so long is that, in an odd way, al-Qaida is a small 'd' democratic organisation.

"There is a shura council who will pick the next leader and they obviously haven't settled on anyone yet."

Scheuer is highly critical of the US invasion and occupation of Afghanistan, although his analysis might best be termed "the fight-the-war-better school of criticism."

"I think the only way to have addressed Afghanistan was with a very much larger military operation that lasted 12-15 months," he says.

With a doctorate in history, Scheuer is a keen student of past military campaigns.

"You would certainly be able to do what the British did in Afghanistan in 1878, which was to make it quiet for 20 years."

How? "By conducting what the British used to call 'a punitive expedition'."

That is, "break as much of al-Qaida and the Taliban as you could and then leave with the full knowledge you might have to do it again. But leaving them with the impression there really is a cost to playing around with American security."

If this sounds like a bloodbath, that's probably because it would be.

"Bush had a window for savagery after 9/11," Scheuer says, which although I'm not totally sure, seems to be an endorsement of this course of action.

"I think the only way to fight it is by telling the truth," he says when I ask him what he would like to see done.

"For example, Israel is an enormous burden on the United States and people pick up guns to fight us because of our support for Israelis. That's a fact.

"It's not an opinion and you don't have to agree or disagree with it, because it's a fact.

"Whether you choose to support Israel or not is a different matter. But - and I'll sound like your father but I don't mean to - everything in life has a consequence. And to imagine we can do what we've done with the Israelis and not have consequences is adolescent."

How does Scheuer deal with the considerable flak he continues to attract?

"The biggest problem I have is abuse and threats indirectly from the people who support Israel," he replies.

In 2009 Scheuer was sacked from his position as a senior fellow at the Jamestown Foundation, after several donors threatened to withdraw funding after he described Obama as "dancing the Tel Aviv two-step."

"That's part of the game," he says. "If you are an American and you question the worth of the relationship with Israel you are going to be labelled as an anti-semite and anti-American."

During the Q&A session at the LSE lecture later that day, Scheuer is back to his old tricks, stunning the audience with his answer to a question about al-Qaida's indiscriminate attacks on civilians.

"I've not yet seen al-Qaida endorse indiscriminate attacks on civilians ... the 9/11 targets were perfectly legitimate military targets as defined by the United States and its allies in World War II."

While some of his positions may jar uneasily with progressives, undoubtedly the plain-spoken and direct Scheuer continues to be an important voice of reason on this emotive issue.

As the LSE professor noted in his introduction to the lecture, "there is no-one better to speak about Osama bin Laden than Michael Scheuer."

Michael Scheuer's Osama bin Laden is published by Oxford University Press (£14.99).
Scheuer blogs at www.non-intervention.com

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago
Muslims hate freedom?

Apparently, Americans do too. Look at the drop in freedom in only the past 10 years. We're heading towards a police state over here.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Muslims hate freedom?

Apparently, Americans do too. Look at the drop in freedom in only the past 10 years. We're heading towards a police state over here.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

I said it when the movie came out and will say it again. We're (de)evolving into a society that resembles the one in Demolition Man. Sugar? No, its bad for you, ILLEGAL! Intercourse? No, ILLEGAL! Swearing? No, ILLEGAL!

UserPostedImage
Formo
12 years ago

I said it when the movie came out and will say it again. We're (de)evolving into a society that resembles the one in Demolition Man. Sugar? No, its bad for you, ILLEGAL! Intercourse? No, ILLEGAL! Swearing? No, ILLEGAL!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

MURDER DEATH KILL!!! MURDER DEATH KILL!!
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (6h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (6h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (8h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (8h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (8h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (9h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (9h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (20h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (21h) : damn those vikings
beast (22h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (22h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (22h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (22h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (22h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.