macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
$190K turned into $1.7M with penalties and interest. Sounds like a lot of his assets (home, tavern, etc) were in other people's names and the gov't apparently can't touch them.

The GBPressGazette link below has pictures of the ring.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110623/PKR01/110623159/1058/Fuzzy-Thurston-s-Super-Bowl-II-ring-being-sold-help-settle-1-7M-tax-debt 

Fuzzy Thurston’s Super Bowl II ring will be sold at auction in August as part of the government’s 28-year battle over taxes with the former Green Bay Packers lineman.

U.S. marshals seized Thurston’s ring, awarded at the end of the 1967 season, and plan to sell it to recover some of the $1.7 million the government claims Thurston owes in back taxes.

The sale comes just weeks after the Packers received Super Bowl XLV rings for their victory at the end of the 2010 season.

According to documents filed in U.S. District Court’s Western District, the government had hoped to sell more than just one of Thurston’s rings. A court order dated last week calls for the sale of rings from Super Bowl I and II, NFL championship rings from 1958, 1961, 1962 and 1965, other sports memorabilia and a gold watch.

It appears authorities have not managed to get hold of those items.

Heritage Auctions, a Texas auction house, has been appointed by the court to sell Thurston’s assets but has only one of Thurston’s Super Bowl rings along with his 1960 Packers helmet and two 1960 footballs signed by members of the Packers, including coach Vince Lombardi.

The ring will be auctioned at the National Sports Collectors Convention in Rosemont, Ill., on Aug. 4, along with a variety of unrelated sports memorabilia. Thurston’s helmet and the footballs will be offered in the Fall Heritage Sports auction that closes Nov. 11.

The Super Bowl ring is expected to fetch more than $20,000, although auction officials expect a spirited bidding that could take the final price much higher.

There have been other instances of Super Bowl I or Super Bowl II rings being sold in the past, but the Thurston ring likely will be considered one of the most popular player rings offered from either of the first two Super Bowls.

Paul Hornung’s Super Bowl I ring sold for approximately $40,000 in 2002, while former offensive lineman Steve Wright sold his Super Bowl I ring last month for $73,409.

Elijah Pitts’ Super Bowl II ring once sold for approximately $30,000, although the diamonds in that ring were replaced with faux diamonds.

A Super Bowl I ring is considered more desirable than one from Super Bowl II, although the Super Bowl II ring represents Lombardi’s final championship.

“We understand that Thurston is one of the most beloved Packers in history, and rightfully so, but we’re confident his fans will understand that Heritage is simply the auction house chosen by the courts,” said Chris Ivy, the director of sports auctions for Heritage Auctions. “We hope to reach out to fans who might wish to purchase the material to return it to Thurston, but obviously we had nothing to do with its forfeiture.”

Thurston, 77, played for the Packers from 1959 to 1967.

His tax battles stem from his post-Packers days, when he and business partners opened a chain of restaurants under the Left Guard name, after the position Thurston played for the Packers. In the mid-1970s, the chain had restaurants in Green Bay and several other cities in Wisconsin as well as one in Miami, Fla., all of which were sold or closed by the early 1980s.

According to the complaint filed in 1983, Thurston and his partners withheld federal income taxes from their employees’ salaries but then failed to turn some of that money over to the Internal Revenue Service. The problem occurred between 1978 and 1980 at the chain’s Janesville restaurant, the complaint said.

The money is referred to as trust fund taxes because employers hold their employees’ money in trust until it is turned over as a federal tax deposit. The employee can be held liable for money not turned over, and, in Thurston’s case, the employee sued him and his three partners in federal court.

Thurston’s three partners paid off judgments against them, but Thurston remained embroiled in a battle over whether his part of the judgment also was satisfied. The court ruled in 1984 that it was not and ordered Thurston to pay $190,806.

The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin renewed the judgment against Thurston on April 28, 2004, and placed a lien on a condominium that Thurston owned in Naples, Fla.

The case remains unresolved. With interest, Thurston’s debt stands at a little more than $1.7 million, according to court documents.

Calls to Thurston’s Waupaca home weren’t answered Wednesday or Thursday. Green Bay lawyer Owen Monfils, who represented Thurston through some of his tax battles, said he was certain Thurston didn’t owe “nearly as much as the government claims.”

A lawyer who Monfils said represented Thurston in more recent years didn’t return calls Thursday from the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

Prosecutors conducted depositions of Thurston’s family members and business associates to try to learn his assets. The depositions revealed Thurston’s personal property included the championship rings, court documents say.

Thurston’s home in Waupaca County has a value of $623,900 but is in his wife’s name, according to the Waupaca County land listings office.

Fuzzy’s Shenanigan’s, a tavern that Thurston owned for about 15 years, first in Allouez and later on Green Bay's west side, was in Thurston’s son’s name until being sold about a year ago, according to the Green Bay city clerk’s office.

GBPressGazette wrote:

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Even if I had the money, I wouldn't buy one of these items knowing that the proceeds were going to the government.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (2h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (4h) : damn those vikings
beast (4h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (4h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (4h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (4h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (4h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (11h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (12h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (12h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
now / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

31m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

32m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

48m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.