wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
The Green Bay Packers have only had a dozen starting QBs in the last 30 years 

The Green Bay Packers have only had 12 QBs start at least 1 game since 1980. I decided to rank the QBs based on what they have done for the Packers in the last 30 years. Here we go:

1. Brett Favre – Whether or not you like the way Favre was essentially forced out of town, no one can dispute his stature in Green Bay Packers’ history. The Packers were lousy for a long time before Brett Favre came to town and took the Packers to the Promised Land twice, winning 1 Super Bowl and playing in two of them. Favre also made it to 9 Pro Bowls as a Packer. The Packers were 160-93 (63.2%) in games started by Favre. Favre played in 255 games (253 starts) for the Packers and he completed 5,377 of 8,754 passes (61.4%) for 61,655 yards with 442 TD passes and 286 INTs (85.8 QB Rating. Favre also carried the ball 555 times for 1,786 yards (3.2 ypc) with 13 TD runs. He will go into Pro Football’s Hall of Fame as a Green Bay Packer and all will be forgiven down the road when the Packers retire the #4.

2. Aaron Rodgers – Aaron Rodgers learned well under Brett Favre before replacing him as the starting QB. He has vindicated Packers’ GM for wanting to start him over Favre. Rodgers is 27-20 (57.4%) as the Packers’ starting QB. He has played in 54 games (47 starts) in his career with the Packers so far and he has completed 1,038 of 1,611 (64.4%) for 12,723 yards with 87 TD passes and 32 INTs (98.4 QB Rating). Rodgers also has carried the ball 189 times for 926 yards (4.9 ypc) with 13 TD runs in his career already. Rodgers led the Packers to an impressive Super Bowl win last year over the Steelers and he has made it to 1 Pro Bowl.

3. Don Majkowski – Majkowski was the Packers’ version of Wally Pip. He was the starting QB before Brett Favre and he essentially lost his starting job by getting hurt. The “Magic Man” was 22-26-1 (45.8%) as the Packers’ starting QB. Majkowski played in 68 games (49 starts) for the Packers and he completed 889 of 1,667 passes (55.3%) for 10,870 yards with 56 TD passes and 56 INTs (73.5 QB Rating). Majkowski also carried the ball 199 times for 1,037 yards (5.2 ypc) with 9 TD runs for the Packers. He made it to one Pro Bowl with the Packers.

4. Lynn Dickey
– Lynn Dickey gave the Packers a fighting chance in the early 1980′s. The Packers were 36-41-2 (46.8%) when Dickey started for them in the 1980′s. Dickey played in 81 games (79 starts) for the Packers in the 1980′s and he completed 1,304 of 2,249 passes (58%) for 17,771 yards with 116 TD passes and 119 INTs. He also carried the ball 108 times for 42 yards (0.4 ypc) with 8 TD runs for the Packers.

5. Mike Tomczak – The Packers were only 2-5 (28.6%) when Tomczak started at QB. He played in 12 games (7 starts) for the Packers and he completed 128 of 238 passes (53.8%) for 1,490 yards with 11 TD passes and 9 INTs (72.6 QB Rating). He also carried the ball 17 times for 93 yards (5.5 ypc) with 1 TD run for the Packers.

6. Anthony Dilweg
– The Packers were 2-5 (28.6%) when Dilweg started at QB. Dilweg played in 10 games (7 starts) for the Packers and he completed 102 of 193 (52.8%) for 1,274 yards with 8 TD passes and 7 INTs (72.3 QB Rating). Dilweg also carried the ball 21 times for 114 yards (5.4 ypc) for the Packers.

7. Matt Flynn – Matt Flynn lost his only start of his NFL career but he really played well against the Patriots in that game. Flynn has played in 29 games (1 start) for the Packers and he has completed 49 of 83 passes (59%) for 497 yards with 3 TD passes and 3 INTs (73.2 QB Rating). Flynn also has carried the ball 18 times for 25 yards (1.4 ypc) for the Packers so far in his NFL career.

8. Blair Kiel – The Packers were 0-2 in Kiel’s two starts at QB. Kiel played in 8 games (2 starts) for the Packers and he completed 80 of 135 passes (59.3%) for 865 yards with 5 TD passes and 4 INTs (78.2 QB Rating). Kiel also carried the ball 9 times for 55 yards (6.1 ypc) with 1 TD run for the Packers.

9. Alan Risher – Alan Risher was the QB for the Packers during the 1987 NFL strike and he played well for them. He was 2-1 (66.7%) as the Packers’ starting QB. Risher played in 3 games (all starts) for the Packers and he completed 44 of 74 passes (59.5%) for 564 yards with 3 TD passes and 3 INTs (80.0 QB Rating). Risher also carried the ball 11 times for 64 yards (5.8 ypc) with 1 TD run in his career with the Packers.

10. David Whitehurst
– The Packers were 16-20-1 (44.4%) when David Whitehurst started at QB. He played in 54 games (37 starts) for the Packers and he completed 504 of 980 passes (51.4%) for 6,205 yards with 28 TD passes and 51 INTs (59.2 QB Rating). Whitehurst also carried the ball 77 times for 242 yards (3.1 ypc) with 7 TD runs for the Packers.

11. Randy Wright – The Packers were downright awful with Randy Wright at QB. They were 7-25 (21.9%) in games started by Wright. Wright played in 46 games (32 starts) for the Packers and he completed 602 of 1,119 passes (53.8%) for 7,106 yards with 31 TD passes and 57 INTs (61.4 QB Rating). Wright also carried the ball 55 times for 173 yards (3.1 ypc) with 3 TD runs for the Packers.

12. Jim Zorn
– The Packers were 3-2 (60%) when Jim Zorn started at QB. Zorn played in 13 games (5 starts) for the Packers and he completed 56 of 123 passes (45.5%) for 794 yards with 4 TD passes and 6 INTs (57.4 QB Rating). Zorn also carried the ball 10 times for 9 yards (0.9 ypc) with the Packers.

There you have it, my rankings of the Packers’ QBs of the last 30 years who started at least one game.

I forgot all about Alan Rischer. It is not fair to put him at #9. I am sure he would not have even got on to the field if he was not facing replacement players. Someone has to be at the bottom of the list but it is not ALL Wright's fault that the team has such a poor record.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago
Iirc, the Packers were horrible in 1987, so they had names and contact info and had researched all these marginal players. So when the strike happened, it was actually a big advantage for us. We had one of the best strike teams.
But man, Blair Kiel and Chuck Fusina were abysmal. LOL.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago
I was looking a little closer at this list. I do not see how Don Majkowski can be listed ahead of Lynn Dickey. Lynn has better stats in nearly every category.

Majkowski:
22-26-1 (45.8%)
68 games (49 starts)
889 of 1,667 passes (55.3%)
10,870 yards
56 TD passes and 56 INTs (73.5 QB Rating)
rushing 199 times for 1,037 yards (5.2 ypc) with 9 TD
one Pro Bowl

Dickey:
36-41-2 (46.8%)
81 games (79 starts)
1,304 of 2,249 passes (58%)
17,771 yards
116 TD passes and 119 INTs. (73.8 QB rating)
rushing 108 times for 42 yards (0.4 ypc) with 8 TD
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I was looking a little closer at this list. I do not see how Don Majkowski can be listed ahead of Lynn Dickey. Lynn has better stats in nearly every category.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I think the Packers made wild card or won the division under Don Majkowski, did that happen for Lynn Dickey? He's before my time.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago

I think the Packers made wild card or won the division under Don Majkowski, did that happen for Lynn Dickey? He's before my time.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I don't think so. I believe they made the playoffs with Don as QB during the strike shortened season. Nothing that I recall with Lynn.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I don't think so. I believe they made the playoffs with Don as QB during the strike shortened season. Nothing that I recall with Lynn.

Oh, I thought in '89 they got to the playoffs.
UserPostedImage
macbob
12 years ago

Majkowski:
22-26-1 (45.8%)
68 games (49 starts)
889 of 1,667 passes (55.3%)
10,870 yards
56 TD passes and 56 INTs (73.5 QB Rating)
rushing 199 times for 1,037 yards (5.2 ypc) with 9 TD
one Pro Bowl

Dickey:
36-41-2 (46.8%)
81 games (79 starts)
1,304 of 2,249 passes (58%)
17,771 yards
116 TD passes and 119 INTs. (73.8 QB rating)
rushing 108 times for 42 yards (0.4 ypc) with 8 TD

Having watched both, IMO Dickey was the better QB. It was a great pleasure watching him play. I enjoyed Majic, too, but he was no Dickey... 🤣
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago
Good call on Dickey over Majkowski, wpr. I was wondering about that when I read it. I think Dickey should be third. He did lead the Packers into the playoffs in 1982, a season that was shortened by a strike, and they won their first-round game over the Cardinals 41-16 before losing to the Cowboys in the second round 37-26.

The Packers finished 10-6 under Majkowski in 1989, when he led the league in passing, but they missed the playoffs.
blank
Pack93z
12 years ago
I cringed every time Dickey got hit.. if he could have stayed healthy he would have been even more impressive than he was. One tough SOB.. IMO.. Number 4 in Packers history at the position.

1. Starr

2/3: Rodgers-Favre (If Rodgers puts up a couple more season at the level he is at.. he captures the 2 hole all to himself. )

4: Dickey
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
macbob
12 years ago

I cringed every time Dickey got hit.. if he could have stayed healthy he would have been even more impressive than he was. One tough SOB.. IMO.. Number 4 in Packers history at the position.

1. Starr

2/3: Rodgers-Favre (If Rodgers puts up a couple more season at the level he is at.. he captures the 2 hole all to himself. )

4: Dickey

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

If looking at the entire history of the Packers, I'd add one to your list, and put him right behind Starr. Herber's stats aren't flashy playing in the earlier era, but he led the Pack to the championship game 3 times, winning 2.

1.Starr
2.Arnie Herber
3.Favre (temporarily, soon to be passed by Rodgers)
4.Rodgers
5.Dickey
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (8h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (8h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (8h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (11h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (16h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (16h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.