DakotaT
12 years ago
Great Avatar 93, I'm still getting yelled at for letting the girls watch Jaws on HBO with me one night. I like to let them watch River Monsters too. Wait, maybe Mrs. Dakota has a point.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago

Great Avatar 93, I'm still getting yelled at for letting the girls watch Jaws on HBO with me one night. I like to let them watch River Monsters too. Wait, maybe Mrs. Dakota has a point.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

One of my all time favorite characters in film.... well I let the kids watch Ghost Adventures one night, not knowing that much about the show.. "clueless" you may state... that was one long night of being smothered by two kids hopping at every little noise in the house.. lol.

River Monsters is one of Tristian's favorites..

I wonder if Dockett is pissed that Quint stole the acting thunder in Jaws. :)

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

There is one side your commits are overlooking missing.... the money side of the argument.

Sites who have adds get money based on how many times the site is visited and/or viewed, so by taking the articles and copy and pasting them some where else makes the site possible earn less money.

So while it might be foolish to turn down exposure, it's also foolish to not try to get your money's worth, and since you need exposure to get the money and money to get living needs and sometimes used on the exposure, it all becomes a catch 22... of which comes first...

For what ever reason most sites have gone towards the money side of the catch 22 and not the exposure side...

Originally Posted by: beast 

What you're saying leads directly to what I had said and validates my point. Which is, more exposure = more money - if money is what you're after. If your material more widely spread, it increases the opportunity for someone to SEE your material, click your link and add 'ad' revenue to your wallet. If you limit your material to one site, then you're hoping that everyone finds your site first.

If my agenda if financially driven, I want others to spread material like a wild fire and link it back to the source as often as possible. to me it's marketing common sense. Know what I mean?

I get you're saying you want everyone funneled to one site, but wouldn't you rather that be a bigger funnel? If so, why limit yourself to the mercy of search engines when you can have search engines AND other sites funneling clicks?
UserPostedImage
beast
12 years ago

What you're saying leads directly to what I had said and validates my point. Which is, more exposure = more money - if money is what you're after. If your material more widely spread, it increases the opportunity for someone to SEE your material, click your link and add 'ad' revenue to your wallet. If you limit your material to one site, then you're hoping that everyone finds your site first.

If my agenda if financially driven, I want others to spread material like a wild fire and link it back to the source as often as possible. to me it's marketing common sense. Know what I mean?

I get you're saying you want everyone funneled to one site, but wouldn't you rather that be a bigger funnel? If so, why limit yourself to the mercy of search engines when you can have search engines AND other sites funneling clicks?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

More exposure does not mean more money if no one goes to the site... and that's why they want you to go to the site, so they can get more of both.

Like I said it's a catch 22... which happens first the chicken or the egg?

Your arguing a good article will get more people to his site.... which is not always true. Other article on here are good but I don't always click the links when I don't have to. I clicked this link to see the article and they got an extra counting on who viewed it which makes them more money.

Those other good article, that I didn't click the link to didn't get any money from me reading it.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

What I'm thinking is that, the players did not try on their top 100 lists.

I mean really, for them to just sit down and rank the top 100 players, I'd guess half of them just spent about an hour on it, and their bound to forget someone or some other kind of laziness, also from what I've read in the NFL.com comments on each article about it, it seems the list qualifications weren't clear to the players that it was top 100 of this season, not body of work or potential. Also, the actual rules of making the list cause problems. I think everyone agrees that the top 2 WR's are Johnson/Johnson, but when you look at this year alone, roddy white's stats for this year alone, most TD's, most yards; you would think he is hands down the best receiver THIS YEAR. I still think calvin johnson is and was a better receiver regardless of stats. but if you decide to totally ignore the stats, you can blame anything on the supporting cast. So all of this together makes for a disorderly list.

Not that I think Raji doesn't belong above dockett, but when you see roddy white above megatron...

Originally Posted by: Jacob 

You bring up a very good point. That's the thing with lists. As of right now, Aaron Rodgers is on pace to be the best QB ever. But his body of work is very small and if he decided to take up painting and retire tomorrow and move to the coast of France, he won't make the Hall of Fame.

That's of course an extreme example but you see where I'm coming from. Lists need to have a context. Are these the best 100 2010 performers? Or best active players based on past performance? Or best 100 players to be expected for 2011? To just say best 100 players is just going to start up fights over the context alone.

My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Greg C.
12 years ago
Well, I would expect that the players were told which criteria their rankings should be based on. My guess is that they paid no attention to all of that and gave the highest rankings to their buddies and the guys they see on Sportscenter.

It would be much better to have any kind of rankings like this, as well as Pro Bowl selections, based on the opinions of scouts. They have the expertise to do it, and they would be objective and take it seriously.
blank
nerdmann
12 years ago
Point being that the dude asked us not to post articles in their entirety. Dude's not part of an evil empire. He's just a guy with a cool site. He's a high school teacher, who writes good articles for us on the side. So I'm showing him respect.
He did ask not to post articles in their entirety. So if you want, I could post the main points of the article with a link. However, if you don't want me to post from there at all, I won't. You also have a bitchin site. So I show you respect as well.
Thanks.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
mi_keys
12 years ago

More exposure does not mean more money if no one goes to the site... and that's why they want you to go to the site, so they can get more of both.

Like I said it's a catch 22... which happens first the chicken or the egg?

Your arguing a good article will get more people to his site.... which is not always true. Other article on here are good but I don't always click the links when I don't have to. I clicked this link to see the article and they got an extra counting on who viewed it which makes them more money.

Those other good article, that I didn't click the link to didn't get any money from me reading it.

Well the way I understood it Zero's point was more long term looking. Yes, right now someone might not go to his page and might read this one article on this site. He might lose out on ad revenue due to lower traffic in the short run. However, if he increases his exposure and continuously writes good articles people will start to go to his site first. They'll want to see all his articles when they come out and won't want to rely on other people thinking his article is worth posting.

Additionally, limiting your exposure limits your growth opportunity for the future which means your ad revenue will be more or less capped at the exposure you cap it at. Trying to build his reader base has the potential to lead to far more revenue in the future than capping his exposure would allow. Additionally, in the short run he could try to mitigate his relative losses by asking those who post his articles to go ahead and click on his link anyway to help out a poor high school teacher.

That's something I think could be sold and frankly I've seen it work in similar situations on youtube. You can obviously watch videos for free but it helps them out to have subscribers. I used to not have an account on youtube but I got one so I could subscribe to a handful of channels that consistently put out material I enjoy watching so I could help them out.
Born and bred a cheesehead
beast
12 years ago

I know what Zero's point is an I agree with it (other than the "lacks confidence" and "foolish" parts. I'm saying there are two arguments to it and nether one is perfect, both have their weakness in the argument.

Why would I go to his site if his (and others) articles are posted on this great site? I wouldn't... cus this site already has his articles... and more...

And is he really getting any more exposure having the link and article posted vs. just the link? I would so but not much so...

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I know what Zero's point is an I agree with it (other than the "lacks confidence" and "foolish" parts. I'm saying there are two arguments to it and nether one is perfect, both have their weakness in the argument.

Why would I go to his site if his (and others) articles are posted on this great site? I wouldn't... cus this site already has his articles... and more...

And is he really getting any more exposure having the link and article posted vs. just the link? I would so but not much so...

I feel like a broken record, but what the heck, it's Friday!! It only HURTS their hit counter if you PREVIOUSLY frequented the sources site and STOPPED because another site you frequent has some or most of that content. Perhaps I'm different in that regard because I don't trust anyone to bring over EVERY article to this site from ANY single source. Therefore, I still hit my favorite sites that are Packers related.

I wish I could explain this point more clearly to you because I know for a fact (based on what you've said) you'd understand and completely agree. I just don't know how to encompass the point clearly to you that what you say is a weakness is only perceptual, not factual. I've created sites from ground up and it was done by allowing others and encouraging others to spread the sites material around. The internet is a scratch my back, I'll scratch yours network. If you expect everyone to scratch your back, you'll be left with an itchy back!

BTW, thanks for adding this to this thread even though I created one for this so we wouldn't continue trashing this one up!! :P

Edit, oh sorry didn't answer your question. Why would you go to his site if some of the material is posted elsewhere that you frequent? Simple, because you never know if someone missed an article that you might want to read.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (12h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (13h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (14h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (16h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (16h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (20h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
22m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.