macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

There's a video embedded in the nfl.com site (it's adobe flash, so I couldn't figure out how to copy it here where they debate how the players were rated (by 2010 stats, career stats, etc). There discussion turned on the fact that the list is Top 100 of 2011, which hasn't occurred yet. Marshall Faulk was arguing for 2010 stats, others were assessing based on career.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/06/26/did-rodgers-deserve-better-top-100-ranking/ 

Cracking the top 10 of NFL Network’s “The Top 100 Players of 2011″ list isn’t easy. Just ask Super Bowl XLV MVP Aaron Rodgers.

The Packers quarterback came in at No. 11 on the list, as voted by NFL players. Rodgers has the statistics, and the Lombardi Trophy earned in February proves he has the results as well. Should those two factors place him higher on this list?

NFL Network analyst Marshall Faulk thinks so, sharing his thoughts on the “Top 100 Players of 2011 Reactions” show Sunday night.

“When I look at the list, I base it off last year’s stats,” Faulk said. “And last year’s stats say the best quarterback in the league won the Super Bowl.”

Faulk’s opinion likely covered the postseason as well, since New England Patriots star Tom Brady put up the best statistical season for a quarterback during the regular season, winning a league MVP award for his efforts. That said, Rodgers was no slouch during the regular season, throwing for 28 touchdowns and 3,922 yards in 15 starts.

Dallas Cowboys defensive terror DeMarcus Ware (No. 12 on the list) was in-studio, where he explained Rodgers hasn’t bypassed other icons of his position just yet.

“(Rodgers) is good, but you got Peyton Manning, you got Drew Brees and you have Tom Brady,” Ware said. “He could scoot up a little bit more numbers-wise, but he’s not above those quarterbacks.”

NFL Network analyst Jay Glazer believes the combination of time and Rodgers’ continued partnership with Packers coach Mike McCarthy will eventually elevate him to the top of the quarterback pile.

“What helps him also is he and Mike McCarthy together. Those two guys are Frick and Frack, they’re a perfect combination,” Glazer said. “And that’s why I think in the next few years you’re going to see him climb up this list … within the next 10 years he’s going to make eight, nine Pro Bowls.”

Tune in next Sunday night when the final 10 players are unveiled on NFL Network at 8 p.m. ET. Who do you think will come in at No. 1?

NFL.com wrote:

UserPostedImage
porky88
12 years ago
These rankings put veteran players on a pedestal. It is 2011 and not 2004.

Not only is Aaron Rodgers a top 10 player, but Haloti Ngata, DeMarcus Ware, and Patrick Willis are too. Each one of those three players have as big as a gripe as Rodgers.

If you ranked the QBs going into the 1996 regular season, you would likely have rated Troy Aikman and Steve Young No. 1 and No. 2. The reasoning is Brett Favre just did not have enough pelts on the wall yet.

One year later, you would have been completely wrong and foolish.

That is the problem with this list. Ray Lewis is a future Hall of Famer, but he isn’t better than Patrick Willis is right now. Julius Peppers displays outstanding pass rush ability, but it is not as good as what DeMarcus Ware has done. Also, Haloti Ngata is a complete beast. I’m as big as an Ed Reed fan as anyone, but Ngata is the best player on that defense.

NFL Network’s concept going into this series was poor. They should have surveyed coaches, front office, hall of fame voters, and scouts. They did that with the top 100 players of all time rankings and it was a respectable list in my opinion. For the 2011 list, they surveyed the players and came up with poorly put together rankings.
nerdmann
12 years ago
More like Arodge and Ted Thompson being paired together. Look at all the talent surrounding him.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
RaiderPride
12 years ago
"Pelts on the wall yet." I love that. I can not add anything to Porky's analytical response to this post.

It is about as perfect as perfect gets. Great post Porky. You nailed it.

I am sure that Porky will agree with me that next year, One more year, and after back to back Super Bowls there will be a very large sway in (Media perception) and Aaron will be rewarded with far more recognition. We have to remember, that many of the scribes and fans in general have beat up Aaron in so many ways over the years.

We all remember the venom thrown his way.. From being made of glass after being injured the first time, to being arrogant, to holding the ball too long and getting sacked too many times.

Those initial comments and evaluations of Aaron will take some time to go away for many people and NFL writers. No one likes to admit they are wrong.

Back to back Super Bowls will however make all of the non believers claim in a subtle way that they were on the Rodgers wagon all the way from Chico to The Hall Of Fame.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
warhawk
12 years ago

"Pelts on the wall yet." I love that. I can not add anything to Porky's analytical response to this post.

I am sure that Porky will agree with me that next year, One more year, and after back to back Super Bowls there will be a very large sway in (Media perception) and Aaron will be rewarded with far more recognition. We have to remember, that many of the scribes and fans in general have beat up Aaron in so many ways over the years.

We all remember the venom thrown his way.. From being made of glass after being injured the first time, to being arrogant, to holding the ball too long and getting sacked too many times.

Those initial comments and evaluations of Aaron will take some time to go away for many people and NFL writers. No one likes to admit they are wrong.

Back to back Super Bowls will however make all of the non believers claim in a subtle way that they were on the Rodgers wagon all the way from Chico to The Hall Of Fame.

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride 

You forgot about the biggest gripe which was being unable to bring the team back on game winning drives which I always thought was a crock anyways. I know there were at least three times this year all at the end of the season or in the post season when the opposing team scored a TD, got the momentum back, and the fans going crazy, and Rodgers broke their back with 80 yard drives. He was damn near perfect throwing the ball on those drives as well.

I will say these were not game ending drives they were just game freaking WINNING drives that put the other team DOWN and OUT. I know the Philly game was one when they came out and scored to start the second half and got full of themselves for about five minutes until Rodgers was done carving them up.

When they needed him to step up big at the end of last year in the last six games they guy was unbelievable. I'm sure a lot of writers that were dogging him won't be pulling out those old articles they wrote anytime soon.

"The train is leaving the station."
DakotaT
12 years ago
Personally I could give a shit, we Packer fans know exactly what we have in Rodgers and that is good enough for me. I hope the media keeps that enourmous chip on his shoulder that he came into the league with. The only thing I think he deserves is the Quarterback skirt afforded Pro Bowl quarterbacks in this league. When a cock sucker like Julius Peppers tries to take him out with an illegal head shot, said cock sucker should be ejected.
UserPostedImage
Bigbyfan
12 years ago
All these "experts" are quick to point out the weapons Rodgers has compared to the other Elite 3. I have yet to hear any of them mention that Brady, Manning, and Brees all have far superior offensive lines compared to Rodgers. A great quarterback can make his receivers better, but they can't make their offensive line block. Rodgers has never had an offensive line that one could consider to be one of the tops in the league, while the others have. I'm sure if you ask any of these quarterbacks, they would take a great offensive line over talent at the receiver position.

Watching Rodgers' highlights, you will see plenty of his highlights are him making a guy miss or escaping the pocket, all while keeping his eyes downfield the entire time. That is what I am most impressed with Rodgers and, IMO, seperates him from the other "elite" quarterbacks.
blank
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: RaiderPride 

The thing is though, those were legitimate criticisms. The injuries were flukes, granted. Once he started though, he only missed one game (which by NFL standards is pretty freaking good).

The other big criticism was holding the ball too long. Yes, that was a problem Aaron had. He learned the hard way that you're going to take hits you shouldn't be taking. One ouch too many taught him not to do that.

That's one of Aaron's biggest strengths - he learns from his mistakes.

I said the following before 2009 - Aaron Rodgers is better than Peyton Manning. I am on record saying this many times. Others are on record calling me a homer. Cool. Who was right?

I said before the 2010 season that Aaron Rodgers would be the NFL MVP. I was wrong. Guess what? He's the SB MVP and helped us bring home a Lombardi Trophy. What's more important?

Ironically, I was (and still am) a Brett Favre fan. But talent is talent. I saw in 2008 that he's an elite QB. Hard to win games though when your D is bad. Thus, the Packers' org made the right changes and in 2009, we were a near elite D that had a Playoff fluke. In 2010, we had an elite D and won the SB due to that and having the best QB in the NFL lead our O.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I checked the database for this comment in any post "Aaron Rodgers is better than Peyton Manning" ... never happened prior to this one above.

Just.
Saying!

;)
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago

I checked the database for this comment in any post "Aaron Rodgers is better than Peyton Manning" ... never happened prior to this one above.

Just.
Saying!

;)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Zombie has been dumping on Peyton Manning for years. There are probably a bunch of QBs who he thinks are better than Manning.
blank
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (7h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (9h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (9h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (9h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (12h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (12h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (16h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (16h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.