Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Iirc, Holmgren traded Ahman Green for Fred Vinson (LOL) because Green was viewed as a fumbler. Uncle Mike does NOT tolerate putting the rock on the ground. Green also had that one season where Ted Thompson dumped Wahle and Rivera. Although in fairness, you should also calculate that he HAD two awesome guards for all those years as well. That should factor in.
Overall though, I just loved Green's combination of speed and power. He had vision too. AND was a receiving threat.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

If having a good offensive line 'should' factor in, where does that put Emmitt Smith?
UserPostedImage
vikesrule
12 years ago

.... where does that put Emmitt Smith?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Above Barry Sanders, that's for sure.

zombieslayer summed up the Ahman Green case very well...Packers Hall of Fame - Yes....NFL Hall of Fame - No.

And Rockmolder, my young Dutch cheesehead amigo, you're original "critique" of AP has me thinking that your wooden shoes might be a little too tight.

Rockmolder
12 years ago

zombieslayer summed up the Ahman Green case very well...Packers Hall of Fame - Yes....NFL Hall of Fame - No.

And Rockmolder, my young Dutch cheesehead amigo, you're original "critique" of AP has me thinking that your wooden shoes might be a little too tight.

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

Yeah, I came back on that. And it wasn't as much critique as it was defining an elite season. Best RB in the league right now...
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: vikesrule 

You're getting overtly predictable in your decrepit age. ๐Ÿ˜‰
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

And while the if excuses are a bit weak, had he started running the ball in Seattle when he got drafted, had he been a higher draft pick who "has to produce right away", had he been the starter in GB immediatly, had he been handed the ball a little more etc. etc. we would've been talking about when he'd be inshrined into the HoF, rather than if he should be.

The skill was there. Easily.

Next to that, the Paul Hornung being one of the best RBs in Packers history and then pointing to how much he scored seems a little unrelated.

I mean, rushing for 13 TDs and catching 2 is quite impressive by itsself (90 points), but let's be honest, 15 field goals and 41 extra points (86 points) don't really count toward being a great RB.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

Paul Hornung has done something that Ahman Green never did - lead the NFL in a significant rushing statistic. I said you judge by your peers. For example, nowadays it's common place to throw for 4k yards. I remember the days when 4k yards was absolutely awesome.

Paul Hornung led the NFL in rushing TDs. Green never did. Hornung led the NFL in total TDs. Green never did. Hornung has 2 All Pros. Green has 0.

Compared to his peers, Hornung was a more dominant player. Facts are facts. And Hornung wasn't even the #1 rusher on his team most of his career. AND, he played against Jim Brown, who is arguably the best RB to ever play the game.

Hey, I'd be stoked if Green makes the Hall of Fame. I'll also be stoked if I woke up one day and had a really long tongue. Neither are going to happen.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ท
The_Claymaker
12 years ago

Dear lord, you guys are Emmitt Smith fans, aren't you?

Ok, AP was a stretch. Went with him without doing proper research. Having 4.4 as your lowest average and 4.6 in a season where he got force-fed the ball is just simply amazing.

LDT, on the other hand, is getting way too much credit.

What makes this season; 339 carries, 1335 yards, 3.9 avg, 17 TDs, better than; 259 carries, 1163 yards, 4.5 avg, 7 TDs...? That Ahman got force-fed the ball less, especially at the goalline? Because that first season was an All-pro season by LDT, Ahman didn't get that recognition.

Now, I get that you have to put up some stats, but 259 carries is a good enough sample to see one's skill. And to see that he was bouncing, spinning and balancing through tackles, while LDT was running into a wall on half of his runs.

I prefer Jamaal Charles over Arian Foster and I prefer Gale Sayers over Emmitt Smith.

And while the if excuses are a bit weak, had he started running the ball in Seattle when he got drafted, had he been a higher draft pick who "has to produce right away", had he been the starter in GB immediatly, had he been handed the ball a little more etc. etc. we would've been talking about when he'd be inshrined into the HoF, rather than if he should be.

The skill was there. Easily.

Next to that, the Paul Hornung being one of the best RBs in Packers history and then pointing to how much he scored seems a little unrelated.

I mean, rushing for 13 TDs and catching 2 is quite impressive by itsself (90 points), but let's be honest, 15 field goals and 41 extra points (86 points) don't really count toward being a great RB.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

LT still did it better and longer. You just nit-picked one of LT's lowest YPC seasons. LT ran for 1,100 yards and 10 TD's 8 straight years. Sure LT got the ball a bit more, for a longer period of time, and had a slightly lower YPC over his career, but you can't just dismiss the higher yards and significantly higher rushing TD's as him getting force fed the ball.

As you said yourself the if excuse is extremely weak. I would say Arian Foster's season last year was slightly better than Charles', but Charles high YPC was pretty insane. That being said I don't necessarily see Foster as a better back than Charles, and I would like to see him have a repeat strong performance. Sayers and Emmitt are from different era's and played on different teams. Emmitt benefited from play with a HOF QB, WR, and a good O-Line. Obviously statistically Emmit blows Sayers out of the water, but generally offensive statistics have gone up as time has progressed in the NFL (both due to more games, and changing of the game). Additionally comparing I think comparing Ahman to Gale Sayers is a stretch.
zombieslayer
12 years ago

LT still did it better and longer. You just nit-picked one of LT's lowest YPC seasons. LT ran for 1,100 yards and 10 TD's 8 straight years. Sure LT got the ball a bit more, for a longer period of time, and had a slightly lower YPC over his career, but you can't just dismiss the higher yards and significantly higher rushing TD's as him getting force fed the ball.

As you said yourself the if excuse is extremely weak. I would say Arian Foster's season last year was slightly better than Charles', but Charles high YPC was pretty insane. That being said I don't necessarily see Foster as a better back than Charles, and I would like to see him have a repeat strong performance. Sayers and Emmitt are from different era's and played on different teams. Emmitt benefited from play with a HOF QB, WR, and a good O-Line. Obviously statistically Emmit blows Sayers out of the water, but generally offensive statistics have gone up as time has progressed in the NFL (both due to more games, and changing of the game). Additionally comparing I think comparing Ahman to Gale Sayers is a stretch.

Originally Posted by: The_Claymaker 

Thus is why I compare to peers. Sayers was an All-Pro 4 times vs 0 for Green. Sayers TWICE led the NFL in rushing yards compared to Green's best season only getting #3. Sayers was #2 and #3 in rushing yards as well. Sayers was #1 in total TDs in '65 with 22, which is pretty impressive considering they only played 14 games. Sayers even led the NFL in total points scored one year.

3 consecutive years, Gale Sayers led the NFL in All-Purpose Yards.

This is a very bad comparison. Sayers is so much better than Green that it's making me feel bad typing this as I'm a big fan of Green. Rock, you're ruining my mood. ๐Ÿ˜ 

As for LDT, it wasn't just a long career of lots of total stats like Art Monk. LDT was the BEST RB in the NFL several years in his career. 3 times, he was an All-Pro. Twice he led the NFL in rushing yards. 3 times he led the NFL in rushing TDs. He even broke Paul Hornung's total points in a season record (although Hornung set his in 14 games and would still own that record if it was a 14-game season).

On top of being an elite RB, LDT is also one of the most accurate passers ever. He's got 7 TD passes vs 0 INTs in his career for a 146.9 career rating. Damn.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ท
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (15h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (18h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (19h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (22h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (22h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (22h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said heโ€™s been told he wonโ€™t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright ยฉ 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comโ„ข. All Rights Reserved.