nerdmann
12 years ago
http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2011/07/05/packers-2010-yearbook-awards-player-most-likely-to-have-a-breakout-season-in-2011/ 

Adam: Jordy Nelson – It was between Nelson and Starks and I went with Nelson simply because the Packers will be throwing more than running.

Al: Morgan Burnett – As last off season progressed, I loved what I was reading about Morgan Burnett. Thrown in as the #1 thanks to Atari Bigby’s injury, Burnett mastered Capers’ defense and was even taking a leadership role. That doesn’t happen with too many rookie safeties. During the preseason games, I loved what I saw of Morgan Burnett. I was convinced that by the end of the year, he would be playing like veteran rather than a rookie. I look for Burnett to make that giant leap I expected last year and solidify his status as one of the best young safeties in the league.

Chad: Mike Neal – If there’s one guy who’s hungry and ready to make a splash this season, it’s Mike Neal. He is most likely going to be in the starting line-up when the season begins, and he’ll get every opportunity to wreak havoc on the line. Someone will need to fill Cullen Jenkins’ shoes, and I think Neal is just the guy to do it.

Kris: James Starks – Ryan Grant is no sure thing coming back from injury and Starks will take full advantage of his opportunity. We only caught a glimpse of his potential in last season’s playoffs and he should shine with 16 games to showcase his talents.

Thomas: Andrew Quarless – It took Finley a while to get going and it might be the same thing for Quarless. With more attention being focused on Finley and Jennings, Quarless has the opportunity to surprise everyone. Also add in the fact that Quarless is a better blocker than Finley and he might see the field more as an inline pass threat.

Zach: Jordy Nelson – I feel strongly about Nelson’s potential impact for next season, and I’d be absolutely shocked if he didn’t see the third-most passes coming his way in 2011 (behind Jennings and Finley). That alone should set him up for a breakout season. And while it’s probably never smart to rule out Driver, it’s Nelson’s time in the offense. He’ll build off his Super Bowl performance.

JerseyAl wrote:

There's also a poll at the link, if you wanna vote.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
The_Claymaker
12 years ago
Jermicahel FInley will break out and prove he's one of the top receiving TE's in the league, but we kind of already knew that. I think Jordy, Starks and Quarless are bad choices. With Finley coming back and brining in Cobb I don't think there will be significantly more balls going his way than last year. Straks has to compete with a retuning Ryan Grant, who has become overlooked, as well as the rookie. Quarless is a mediocre TE, and we have one of the best receiving TE's in the league returning, additionally we drafted two this year.

Neal and Burnett are good picks. They both could end up starting and playing a big role on defense.
Greg C.
12 years ago
I would go with Neal, easily. Burnett got outplayed by a journeyman, Charlie Peprah, after he went down with an injury last year. Quarless was awful, and I sure am tired of hearing how the fact that Finley sucked as a rookie and then got good in his second year means that Quarless should do the same thing. Jordy Nelson is not a bad choice, but he has already kind of made his splash. Starks could also be good, but only if Grant gets hurt again or fails to completely recover from his injury.
blank
peteralan71
12 years ago
Eh. I think that Starks is going to get a lot of playing time regardless of Grant's status. There are too many teams in the league these days that prove the effectiveness of having two RB's. Also, I think that Bishop is going to continue gaining speed and make a big "splash" this year. CAN'T WAIT!!!
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago

I would go with Neal, easily. Burnett got outplayed by a journeyman, Charlie Peprah, after he went down with an injury last year. Quarless was awful, and I sure am tired of hearing how the fact that Finley sucked as a rookie and then got good in his second year means that Quarless should do the same thing. Jordy Nelson is not a bad choice, but he has already kind of made his splash. Starks could also be good, but only if Grant gets hurt again or fails to completely recover from his injury.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

Dude Burnett was AWESOME last year before he injured his knee. AWESOME. Peprah was solid, but not THAT good.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Greg C.
12 years ago

Eh. I think that Starks is going to get a lot of playing time regardless of Grant's status. There are too many teams in the league these days that prove the effectiveness of having two RB's.

Originally Posted by: peteralan71 

But not the Packers. Mike McCarthy has staunchly refused to adopt a two-back system thus far in his five years as a head coach. Maybe having two good RBs could lead to a change in his approach, but I doubt it.

blank
Greg C.
12 years ago

Dude Burnett was AWESOME last year before he injured his knee. AWESOME. Peprah was solid, but not THAT good.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Really? He looked mediocre to me, and downright poor against the run. He does appear to have potential, though.

blank
DoddPower
12 years ago

Really? He looked mediocre to me, and downright poor against the run. He does appear to have potential, though.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

I thought he looked OK for a rookie who was still learning the system and his role. I thought that he would improve significantly throughout the season. Hopefully we will find out this season.
Greg C.
12 years ago

I thought he looked OK for a rookie who was still learning the system and his role. I thought that he would improve significantly throughout the season. Hopefully we will find out this season.

Originally Posted by: doddpower 

Yeah, I think he would've improved during the season, but then again, maybe not. Safety is a difficult position for a rookie. Even our best ones, like Collins and Sharper, took a few years to get good, and they were higher draft picks than Burnett.

blank
nerdmann
12 years ago
Burnett's a ball hawk. Remember that INT he made, coming up into the backfield? That was awesome. Forget which game. He will break out this year.
But my REAL pick as breakout player: JUSTIN HARRELL!
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.