wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
What to Expect from the Packers First Five Draft Picks 

Derek Sherrod OT
Selected: Round 1, Pick 32 (32 Overall)

An aging offensive line got a lot younger with this pick, which allows Packer fans to breathe a sigh of relief.

The offensive tackle from Mississippi State has great length and knows a lot about the game of football.

He isn’t the quickest lineman out there, but he has the ability to open up some good lanes for running backs, not to mention block for franchise player Aaron Rodgers.

His lack of lower body strength is his only big concern, but that can be fixed as he starts hitting the weight room with his new team.

Expect to see Sherrod get a good amount of playing time this season, and for him to be in a Packer’s uniform for a long time.

Randall Cobb, WR
Selected: Round 2, Pick 32 (64 Overall)

Many scouts considered Cobb one of the most versatile players in the 2011 draft class.

Sure, he isn’t the biggest wide receiver there is, but he makes up for it in other areas of his game.

Cobb could see some time at slot receiver, and will definitely get a chance to show what he can do in the kick return game.

The Packer’s won the title, but they did not do so via their kick returning, which is where Cobb comes into play.

Expect to see the former Kentucky Wildcat get some time at receiver and kick returner, with the potential to replace an aging Donald Driver down the road.

Alexander Green, RB
Selected: Round 3, Pick 32 (96 Overall)

The speedy running back out of Hawaii could have a large impact on the Packers already dominant offense.

He may run into a bit of trouble while adjusting from Hawaii’s famous spread offense, but if he can overcome that, then he has the potential to make a name for himself.

The Packers have been very unstable at running back during the past few seasons, and though they were able to become champions without a true star running back, a talented one could really put them over the top.

Provided they do not re-sign Brandon Jackson, that leaves them with injury prone Ryan Grant and inexperienced James Starks.

Expect to see Green get some carries if there are injuries to the other backs, but he could develop into a first string back.

Davon House, CB
Selected: Round 4, Pick 34 (131 Overall)

House has the skills and the size to be an effective press corner in the NFL.

A lot of scouts were concerned with the fact that he doesn’t have the best instincts, and that he doesn’t always do the best job locating the ball.

Cornerback may not seem like a major need for the Packers right now, but House fits into their defensive scheme and could become a regular starter eventually.

The Packers really like to have a lot of cornerbacks to play their sub packages, so expect to see House in the mix every now and then next season.

D.J. Williams, TE
Selected: Round 5, Pick 10 (141 Overall)

The Pack may have gotten a steal by grabbing D.J. Williams in round five.

The former Razorback was named to the All-SEC First Team while also winning the Mackey Award as the nation’s top tight end.

The Packers already have a solid tight end in Jermichael Finley, but he suffered from injury during most of last season and may not come back the same player.

Williams has very soft hands and is very dangerous after the catch because of his ability to break tackles.

He is also an ideal role model off the field, winning the 2010 Disney Spirit Award as the most inspirational player in college football.

Expect to see Williams get a lot of playing time this season, and add to the already dominant Packers passing attack.

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago
Ryan Grant is injury prone? WTF? Why did he write that?

Grant had one injury in his entire career. Yes, he missed a season, but he's not injury prone. What they could have said is coming back from injury. But injury prone is wrong.

Now I can see them calling Finley injury prone. Finley NEVER played an entire season. Grant played 3.

Other than that, good article. I'm hoping Sherrod plays many years for us and Cobb becomes our Percy Harvin.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
buckeyepackfan
12 years ago
IMHO the author of the articlle is making the same mistake a lot of us Packer fans do every year.

That is to expect the guys drafted to step right in and contibute as a starter.

Especially this coming year without offseason mini camps and such, teams are not going to have time to get drafted and UFA's ready.

I am hoping Cobb can step into the returner role pretty quickly, beyond that, the best IMHO The Packers can do is find some solid ball players who learn quickly and will be available in emergency situations to step in.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

IMHO the author of the articlle is making the same mistake a lot of us Packer fans do every year.

That is to expect the guys drafted to step right in and contibute as a starter.

Especially this coming year without offseason mini camps and such, teams are not going to have time to get drafted and UFA's ready.

I am hoping Cobb can step into the returner role pretty quickly, beyond that, the best IMHO The Packers can do is find some solid ball players who learn quickly and will be available in emergency situations to step in.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

I couldn't help notice you said IMHO a couple times. Does this mean the times you did not preface your statement with IMHO that we should not take that as your honest opinion?
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Nah, he's just sayin'.

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago
I thought the H in IMHO stood for humble, not honest.

Anyway, I agree with buckeye that the article is overly optimistic about these players' chances to make a big impact. Also, the picture that is presented of the starting RBs is too negative, not only because of the "injury prone" comment about Grant, but because of the statement that the RB situation has been "very unstable" for the past three years. During '08 and '09, Grant was the primary ball carrier for the entire season, with Jackson as the third-down back, and this past year that changed only because Grant got hurt. That's not three years of instability, it's one year of instability. And while James Starks may be inexperienced, he's more experienced than Alex Green.
blank
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I thought the H in IMHO stood for humble, not honest.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

So be it, my question still stands, simply replace honest with humble. 🙂 Why are some opinions stated as humble and others are not? Does that mean the other statements are arrogance riddled or what?

I fail to understand these things, that's why I'm asking. Not to grill, not to bust someones balls, I really have no clue why anyone would say randomly that this was honest or this was humble, etc. I was always told that if someone says they are telling the truth, consider accepting the following words as a lie.

As for the topic, 3 out of the first 5 better start or we should fire Ted Thompson because it's proof he doesn't know what he's doing. There dhazer, I got your comment in for ya! 😛
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

So be it, my question still stands, simply replace honest with humble. 🙂 Why are some opinions stated as humble and others are not? Does that mean the other statements are arrogance riddled or what?

I fail to understand these things, that's why I'm asking. Not to grill, not to bust someones balls, I really have no clue why anyone would say randomly that this was honest or this was humble, etc. I was always told that if someone yes they are telling the truth, consider accepting the following words as a lie.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Not to criticize anyone either but I find it a little redundant to say "In my opinion". As I already assume it is their opinion humble or not unless they say that they are quoting someone else.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago

I fail to understand these things, that's why I'm asking. Not to grill, not to bust someones balls, I really have no clue why anyone would say randomly that this was honest or this was humble, etc. I was always told that if someone says they are telling the truth, consider accepting the following words as a lie.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

It's just a polite expression. Sometimes people say, "in my opinion" as a way of softening what they say. The word "humble" just softens it a little more. No big deal.
blank
beast
12 years ago
1) I'm not sure Sherrod will "get a good amount of playing time this season" unless injuries or none of the OGs step up at LG which I'm not hoping for ether one. I'm hoping Lang or McDonald step up if Colledge isn't resigned.

2) Seems like everyone talks about new WRs and the slot position. That's not how the Packers normally roll... normally they put their best WR in the slot, not the new guy. Though Mike McCarthy did talk about if they got a good return guy it being his job to make sure to get him involved in the offense... which makes me think WR screen and end around. But the few WR screens the Packers have done have been throw to the outside guy which hasn't looked too good with Nelson running and Driver blocking... think it should of been the other way around. Nelson blocking and someone else running it.

3) I think the RB commits have been covered. With Grant the Packers haven't been "unstable" at RB and Green has less NFL experience than Starks.

4) I strongly disagree with the idea "Cornerback may not seem like a major need"... I know I've heard a lot of people that have agreed with it, but if one of those starting 3 CBs go down I'm worried the rest aren't able to step up. Of course I think a 3 Safety nickel package might work with Collins, Burnett and Peprah but I haven't heard any talk of it.

5) No problem there with the D.J. Williams commits... I just wonder how his blocking and breaking tackles will translate. I think he could become a very good h-back but his blocking might not be ready for it as a rookie.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.