Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

Played a huge part of us making the run post pickup mid season.. here is to hoping for another great season from this big cat.

Howard Green: "I'm in good shape"

Rest assured. Howard Green promises he has been staying in shape this off-season.

Generously listed at 340 pounds a year ago, the mammoth defensive lineman isn’t following a strict workout regiment. No long days of sprints for him. Instead, he has been the family handyman.

Cutting the grass. Putting in flower beds. Painting. The veteran insists he has been doing a little bit of everything around the house down in Louisiana — and it's keeping his body in check.

“I’m in good shape,” Green said by phone this week. “I’ve been getting up in the morning, running and stuff. I’ve been keeping active in anything. I go out and cut grass with my friend just to get out there and move around a little bit. I’m walking at night, stuff like that.

“With as hot as it is during the summer, you’ll lose 15 pounds just being out here this heat.”

Green hasn’t stepped on a scale in a week but estimated he’s about 350-355 pounds right now. The moment of truth may come soon at training camp. Last year, the waiver-wire pickup was a “stroke of luck” for the injury-ravaged Packers. Claimed off waivers Oct. 27, he finished with 17 tackles. His four stops and forced fumble in a 9-0 win over the New York Jets helped jumpstart the team's midseason surge. And of course, his pressure on Ben Roethlisberger in the Super Bowl led to Nick Collins’ pick-six.

Even at 32 years old, Green should remain a key cog on the Packers next season. He has been cut 10 times in his career, but insists he's not driven to prove people wrong.

“You just do it for yourself more than anything,” Green said. “If somebody else doesn’t want, you can do it for someone else. I tell the young guys that all the time — it’s a business. If you can’t stick with one team, somebody else will always want you.”

Look Green Bay to value such leadership on a defensive line that will be relying on youth next season. Mike Neal, C.J. Wilson and Jarius Wynn — a trio of 24-year-olds — will all be vying for significant playing time.If Green's still in fairly decent shape, he's worth keeping around.

No, he's not dispatched to a training center across the country or anything. Green opted to use the lockout as family time, as a chance to recharge the batteries. He was able to take his three kids to school every day, keep up to date on his favorite show "Swamp People," and even got a couple of fishing trips in himself.

No worries on the weight, he says. It hasn’t been too difficult to avoid the temptations of southern cooking this summer.

Nobody wants to barbeque when the temperature is in triple-digits.

“You don’t want to feed your face all day long,” Green said. “You need to drink your fluids…It’s so hot you don’t want to just sit down and pig out. It’s 100 degrees. That’d be miserable. You want to enjoy yourself but do what you do in moderation. You can’t do it every day.”

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Laser Gunns
12 years ago
1. round is a great shape for a lineman

2. how did he not sink the boat?

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
macbob
12 years ago
duplicate thread, can't figure out how to delete it. sorry

Ok, no longer duplicate thread, STILL can't figure out how to delete it. Where's the goddamn delete button, Z???
UserPostedImage
macbob
12 years ago
What a strenuous workout regimen... đź‘…

“I’m in good shape,” Green said by phone this week. “I’ve been getting up in the morning, running and stuff. I’ve been keeping active in anything. I go out and cut grass with my friend just to get out there and move around a little bit. I’m walking at night, stuff like that.

Howard Green wrote:

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago
Yeah, the workout regimen was pretty hilarious. But for a fat defensive lineman, it's probably okay. I'm glad to hear that he's not just eating. He played great for us last year.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
Amazing. He has been released 10 times in his career. Only played 7 seasons out of 9 years. He is fighting for playing time with 3 younger players and what is his workout? Mowing the lawn. Walking at night. Common Green. You were a stud when it came to stopping the run last year but you need to do a little more to get yourself ready for the season and take a walk.

He thinks he weighs around 350-355. I'll bet when he gets on the scale in TC he is closer to 370 than 350. He may well lose 15 pounds when he mows but just as soon as he gets a drink of water he will put some of the weight back on. And I am sure he doesn't mow every day so he can easily put it all back on before he mows again.

He seems to a player that has talent but is not willing to put out the maximum effort it takes to be at the top of your game in the NFL. Which is why he has been released so many times. I won't be shocked if he winds up being cut in GB before the years is over.

Put down that pork chop and pick up the bar bell before it is too late.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago

Amazing. He has been released 10 times in his career. Only played 7 seasons out of 9 years. He is fighting for playing time with 3 younger players and what is his workout? Mowing the lawn. Walking at night. Common Green. You were a stud when it came to stopping the run last year but you need to do a little more to get yourself ready for the season and take a walk.

He thinks he weighs around 350-355. I'll bet when he gets on the scale in TC he is closer to 370 than 350. He may well lose 15 pounds when he mows but just as soon as he gets a drink of water he will put some of the weight back on. And I am sure he doesn't mow every day so he can easily put it all back on before he mows again.

He seems to a player that has talent but is not willing to put out the maximum effort it takes to be at the top of your game in the NFL. Which is why he has been released so many times. I won't be shocked if he winds up being cut in GB before the years is over.

Put down that pork chop and pick up the bar bell before it is too late.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I honestly don't know what kind of workout regimen one should expect from a huge defensive lineman. What did Gilbert Brown do in the off-season? But I agree that there are concerns about a guy who has been cut multiple times, most recently by the Jets for being out of shape in the middle of the season.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

I honestly don't know what kind of workout regimen one should expect from a huge defensive lineman. What did Gilbert Brown do in the off-season? But I agree that there are concerns about a guy who has been cut multiple times, most recently by the Jets for being out of shape in the middle of the season.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

You got me. I am not a professional. I would think most of the big boys spend 2-3 hours a day lifting weights.

I mow my lawn every week. Except during the heat of summer like we have now. It takes me two hours to do the job. I talk a walk every morning before I get ready for work. I am out for about 45 min to an hour.

When I read Green's account he is doing what I am doing. I would like to do more but my bad back won't allow it. He is a professional athlete. I am a 52 year old fart. I would think he would want to do all he can do to keep a job in the NFL. He has to be at the min salary now. With a little bit of effort on his part he could find a nice niche for himself and his family.

If he works out for 3 hours a day he could still drop the kids off at school. Go work out. Head home and gets some lunch. Play on his PS3 or whatever and still pick up the kids after school. I just don't get it that he doesn't seem to care even after failing so many times before.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
A NT's weight is also a weapon...
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

I would think most of the big boys spend 2-3 hours a day lifting weights.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I don't see why they would. Most of the guys who spend that much time in the gym are bodybuilders who haven't the faintest clue about how to put together a solid training program in keeping with scientifically sound principles of exercise physiology. Most of what passes for knowledge in the gym is pure "bro science." The stimulus they apply to their bodies is more or less worthless, which is why they so often have to boost their training programs with supplements, performance enhancing drugs, etc. just to get the gains they want.

By contrast, the football players I saw in my gym back home were following carefully controlled, efficient training programs that promoted real strength and mass gains in keeping with long-established training principles, and they were typically out of the gym in under an hour -- certainly less than 90 minutes. You have to realize, football players aren't competitive weightlifters -- their lifting is targeted toward improving their abilities in their chosen sport -- so they aren't looking to constantly max out their lifts; as a result, most of their training is sub-maximal. My training schedule is based on the famous program promulgated by pioneering strength coach Bill Starr, who more or less singlehandedly introduced the practice of weightlifting to the sport of football back in the 1960s (he trained the Colts during their 1970 Super Bowl season). The program works just as well now as it did then. I am setting personal records every week lately, and even I could still be out of the gym in about an hour or so if I really wanted to. I just don't have much going on right now, so I tend to dawdle and hang around longer than I should.

All that being said, I am concerned about Green's relative sedentary lifestyle. If he is thinking he will be able to whip himself into shape once training camp rolls around, I am afraid he is going to end up injured. He needs to be toughing up those muscles and joints of his.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (5h) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (11h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.