Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Another one that sounds a bit bitter about not being re-upped already.. but we shall see how it all plays out.

I think the guy has all the talent to be a very good player in this league.. he has proved that, only knock is consistency, IMO.

Congrats to him and his wife on the new arrival as well.

Colledge on Packers... "It's not my choice"

July 20, 2011

colledge2.jpg

Daryn Colledge has started 83 of 87 games since being drafted by the Packers in 2006, but early signs are that the team will not re-sign him. (Photo: Mark J. Rebilas/US Presswire)

It’s been an eventful offseason for Daryn Colledge, which is a good thing because it has distracted him from his uncertain NFL future.

A few days after celebrating victory in Super Bowl XLV, the Green Bay Packers’ starting left guard joined several teammates in a 10-day tour of the Middle East put together by Navy Entertainment. In May, he visited the troops at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

“It was an awesome opportunity that got put in my lap,” Colledge said this week in a phone interview from his home Boise, Idaho. “The Packers have always been very troop-friendly — they have them at all of the games. Navy Entertainment came to us and offered the opportunity for us to go out there and spend some time with the troops on ship and on base. I was truly honored and humbled and privileged all at the same time. They were so excited to see us, but the opportunity to see what they do on a daily basis was real humbling.”

Joining Colledge on the Tundra Tour of the Middle East were current Packers Jarrett Bush, Nick McDonald and Frank Zombo, former Packers Derrick Martin and William Henderson, trainer Pepper Burruss, equipment manager Red Batty and assistant equipment manager Tom Bakken. On the trip to Cuba, Colledge was joined by fellow lineman Jason Spitz, Henderson and former Packer Tony Moll.

The Tundra Tour began at Incirlik Air Base in Turkey and included stops on ships in the Red Sea and Persian Gulf, plus a visit with Marines at the U.S. embassy in Jordan. Their trip got cut short by a day after civil unrest broke out in Bahrain.

“We showed up at all the bases, and on all the ships and we did autograph sessions and question-and-answer sessions,” Colledge said. “Every night, we were allowed to scatter and go and hang with the troops. I got an opportunity to do it on almost every ship and every base. To sit down and (talk) with these men and women on their level — just sitting around in an aircraft hangar and talk about what they do and what they miss from home and let them ask questions that they might not necessarily get to ask during a question-and-answer session about what I do with my daily life or what I enjoy doing. To have real interaction with those people, and not just the basic, ‘What was it like to play with Brett (Favre) and what’s it like to play with Aaron (Rodgers)?’ but to really know what they think and feel about being football fans, that stuff is going to stick with me. That was special stuff.”

The trip hit home on many levels for Colledge. His great grandfather served and died, his grandfather and two uncles also served, and his little brother will after graduating from Boise State.

“The sacrifices that those guys make, that’s what made it truly one of the most humbling things to see,” he said. “To put yourself on the line for people that will never thank you enough and you may never meet is one of the great things that people can do.”

Colledge’s life changed again a few weeks ago when he and his wife, Megan, became parents to a girl named Camryn.

“You know what? I’ve changed a ton of diapers,”  Colledge said. “I try to take a lot of that off of my wife because she’s got everything else she’s dealing with with the baby, so that’s a chance for me and Camryn to interact and spend some time together. It’s a chance to steal her away for a few minutes and she’s just mine. I change as many as I can because whenever camp starts and the season starts, I have a feeling I won’t be getting time to change diapers.”

Just where he will be changing diapers remains to be seen.

Colledge has started 83 of a possible 87 games (including playoffs) since the Packers drafted him in the second round in 2006. At a position where durability and flexibility are the names of the game, Colledge has been a consummate team-first professional. Yet the Packers made little to no effort to give him a long-term deal, and once the lockout ends, Colledge will be an unrestricted free agent and quite possibly will be wearing colors other than green and gold this season.

That’s something that struck Colledge during the team’s June 16 Super Bowl ring ceremony, even while allowing himself to dream of defending the championship.

“The Packers have had a lot of years to re-sign me if they wanted to, so it looks like they might just let me go to free agency,” Colledge said. “Whether that’s a business decision or a personal decision, I don’t know. As of right now, I still get to look back at all the memories I’ve had over the past few years and all the great times we’ve had and we won a championship and did a lot of great things. I love my guys back there. I love the players and I love the fans and I love the city. But it’s not my choice anymore. It’s one of those things where the Packers will make that decision. If they want me back, they’ll have me back. If they don’t, then they’ve decided they want to go another direction.”

Colledge is coming off his best season as a pro. He allowed a career-low three sacks, according to STATS, and was hit with just one holding penalty. Not coincidentally, last season was the first in which Colledge got to concentrate solely on playing left guard. As a rookie, he spent much of the preseason at left tackle before starting 14 games at left guard. In 2007, he started 13 games at left guard but finished games at both tackle spots. In 2008, he started 14 games at left guard and one apiece at left and right tackle. In 2009, he started 14 games at left guard and two at left tackle. Beyond the snaps taken in games, Colledge slid to left tackle frequently during training camp to relieve veteran Chad Clifton.

The arrival of first-round pick Bryan Bulaga, however, finally let Colledge put his focus on one spot.

“This job is tough enough when you just play one spot, especially in our division because we play some great defensive linemen,” Colledge said. “When you’re forced to hop around, it makes it tough, but that was kind of my role the first four years of my career. They needed a guy who could move without any practice, and it ended up being me. (In 2009), I played well in two games at (left tackle) and did terribly in one game, and that hurt my team and it hurts me because you take it personally.

“Even though you don’t get to practice at it and even though you know you’re not in a great position, you still expect a lot out of yourself. So, that hurts. Last year, I had an opportunity to play left guard and play good football and protect Aaron (Rodgers) the best I could. That makes you feel good. That makes you feel like you’re helping the team. Then to have it culminate in a championship, I don’t know if there are words for that.”

Because of the timing of the trip to the Middle East, Colledge hasn’t watched any of the Super Bowl beyond some highlights. That’s just as well.

“It’s one of those things, everybody wants to remember it as greatness,” he said. “I would hate to go and watch it and say, ‘I should have made that block.’ You just want to be happy with the championship.”

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Laser Gunns
12 years ago
BAH!

the moment this guy whined about his contract on the last episode of "The College Experience" (which otherwise has some good interviews) he was dead to me šŸ˜³

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
dfosterf
12 years ago
Fuck him. Go play somewhere else. If we don't have his replacement, I blame Ted, and I love Ted, fyi.

I want this fuck off my line.

It's an opinion.

Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Daryn Colledge is the glue that keeps the Packers offensive line together and is the sole reason why Aaron Rodgers won the Super Bowl MVP!! Factoid.
UserPostedImage
Laser Gunns
12 years ago

Factoid.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

it's like a fact... but not entirely true.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Greg C.
12 years ago
They are right that Colledge has started a lot of games and that he's been the consummate professional. The problem is that he is an average player at best. I just don't buy the argument that playing two or three games per year at another position justifies his shaky play at left guard. He did play better last year, but it was a contract year. I'm not confident that he will play that well with a new contract. I don't think he sounds bitter at all, though. He sounds ready to move on.
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
Well, we got Reggie White after a litigation settlement protected him from a franchise tag.

Maybe we can do the same with Logan Mankins.

Of course they'd have to overpay to get him (or one of those other guards out there. But then again, Colledge IMO is overpaid at the vets minimum.

šŸ“
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
nerdmann
12 years ago
Dude ain't worth the headaches. Not that the headaches are that bad, he's just not worth them.
ā€œWinning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a whileā€¦you do them right all the time.ā€
Fan Shout
dhazer (4h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (4h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (5h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (20h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said heā€™s been told he wonā€™t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright Ā© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comā„¢. All Rights Reserved.