CaliforniaCheez
12 years ago
We saw a lot of depth players last season.

Fortunately, on the O-line we just saw Bulaga.
That could change this season.

If Scott Wells gets injured, the whole offense will not be as good.

Can an inexperienced Deitrich-Smith make those calls?
By signing Spitz do the Packers have to cut an OG prospect?
How rusty is Spitz?

There are usually 8 offensive linemen active on game day.
5 starters, a left side guy, a right side guy, and Center.

Bulaga and Lang are the likely game day back ups until Sherrod learns the system.

When you look at the 10 Offensive Linemen the Packers will keep,
you start with:

Those that will be there: Bulaga, Sherrod, Sitton, Wells, Lang,
Geezers: Clifton and Tauscher nearing the end and injury concerns.
Contract Guys: Colledge and Spitz

Okay that is 7-9, where is the problem?
Beyond that there is a lot of unknowns (at least to the fans).

I am really anxious to see what the Packers have and which players are developing on the O-line.
blank
Tezzy
12 years ago
I like where you are going with this. Though I see a different picture. I don't think Bulaga is going to be opening day backup. I think Tauscher is done and Bulaga takes that role full-time leaving Sherrod as the main backup.

The biggest question mark for me that holds the most concern is left guard. I think losing Colledge right now is a bigger concern than Wells as what guard development do we really have or have seen? I have seen pundits saying that maybe Lang needs to take a shot at playing the interior. Which for long term planning himself may be a good career move if he wants to be a starter.

I believe we also got extremely lucky with Clifton having a career year at a time when I thought his wheels were going to fall off. Can we get lucky at the left side again?

On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Tezzy
12 years ago
Going through the PFT list of Top 80 Free Agents (at the time of writing it of course). Any of these guards something we hope Ted Thompson is looking into at all?

Marshall Yanda
Davin Joseph
Robert Gallery
Justin Blalock
Harvey Dahl

Interesting enough Colledge came in at 77 on that list.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Greg C.
12 years ago
Bulaga as a backup? Are you serious? Like Tezzy says, Bulaga will start, as he did for most of last season. I don't think there's any question about that. And Tauscher is as good as gone. They are not going to pay $4.1 million for him to stay. I think Spitz will be gone too. He was kind of useless last year.

The big question among the starters is who will replace Colledge if he leaves. It could be either Lang or Sherrod, and they could do some shuffling among RT and LG, which may involve Bulaga switching spots.

So here are the top six players if Colledge leaves:

Clifton
Sitton
Wells
Bulaga
Sherrod
Lang

To fill out the game-day roster, my guess would be Marshall Newhouse and either Nick McDonald or Evan Dietrich-Smith--whichever one wins the training camp battle for the backup center spot. I would go with McDonald.

That leaves us with two more players needed to fill out the roster. My guess would be the guard they drafted (Schlauderhaff) plus somebody we haven't heard of yet, or maybe the loser of the battle for backup center.
blank
nerdmann
12 years ago
I like our depth. Honestly wouldn't shock me if Cliffy was cut.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I like our depth. Honestly wouldn't shock me if Cliffy was cut.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

As long as the Packers keep Daryn Colledge, they will be okay. Some fans fail to understand the importance of his talent on the OL. Once gone, they'll be wishing he was retained.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
12 years ago

As long as the Packers keep Daryn Colledge, they will be okay. Some fans fail to understand the importance of his talent on the OL. Once gone, they'll be wishing he was retained.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

You've been in this quasi-dumbass mode for a couple weeks now. Colledge is our weakest link on the O-line if you ask me. Use your smilies.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

You've been in this quasi-dumbass mode for a couple weeks now. Use your smilies.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

[stupid]

[sarcasm]
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Nope. I'll bitch about the Packers unwillingness/inability to find anyone better than Colledge for his position for all these years.

And, for the record, I was really thrilled about the Colledge pick when it was made. The difference is that he has shown himself to be at best a serviceable OL (on his good days), and that should not be the standard for the OL.

As an aside: Why is there so much more love for a player who has played so much mediocre ball for the team despite being a high draft pick, than there is for a person who has only failed to play because of injury? At least the other guy has a mitigating factor to explain his lack of contribution. Colledge has ...what... a pit bull wife?

I can understand how people would want to get rid of them both. I can understand how people would want to keep them both until a better option clearly appears. I don't agree with either of these positions, but I understand the logic.

But for the life of me, I can't understand why people would want to get rid of Harrell, yet also want to keep Colledge. That combination just doesn't make any sense to me.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Greg C.
12 years ago
I'm not sure where you're coming from there, Wade. Hardly anybody likes Colledge. He's easily the least popular starter on the team. The Harrell comparison doesn't work for me, either. I don't know if anybody wants to keep Colledge and ditch Harrell (most fans want to ditch both of them), but if they do, the reason is obvious: Colledge has not missed a single game. Harrell has missed a ton of games.
blank
Fan Shout
beast (2h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (2h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (5h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (5h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15m / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

22h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.