macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
"I just left it all in my agent’s hands. I told him I wanted to be back with the Packers, and he made that happen."

"Jones said he didn’t even know how much his deal was worth."

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/07%2F31%2F11_Jones_%27glad_to_be_back%27/38?feed=2 

GREEN BAY – The only person happier than wide receiver James Jones about his new three-year deal with the Green Bay Packers is likely his quarterback.

Five days after Aaron Rodgers publicly implored general manager Ted Thompson to re-sign the unrestricted free agent and not long after Rodgers and veteran wide receiver Donald Driver went to management to make a more private plea for Jones, the Packers agreed to terms with Jones on a three-year deal. Terms of the deal were not immediately available.

“The process has been crazy. Hearing from all these teams and things like that, wondering what was going to happen, but I’m glad it’s over, glad I’m back with the Packers,” Jones said when reached in California, shortly after the news broke. “Everything fits well together. I know the playbook, I can start working on winning a championship. I’m excited to get back with the guys.

Jones said he knew both Rodgers and Driver went to management to push for his return, and that fellow wideout Greg Jennings also went to bat for him.

"That means a lot,” Jones said. "Having your teammates push for you and want you back, not a lot of guys would do that, two high profile guys like them two dudes. And for Greg and Donald want me back on that team, that shows how unselfish we are."

On Tuesday, Rodgers told Steve “The Homer” True and Mitch “Thunder” Nelles in an interview on ESPNMilwaukee and ESPNMadison that the Packers needed to re-sign Jones.

“James is extremely talented and he's a guy that I think we have to bring back without a doubt," Rodgers said. "He should be priority No. 1. And I mean that with all my heart. He really should be priority No. 1. We don't win the Super Bowl without him. And we need him."

Then, during his first media availability of training camp at his locker Sunday, he reiterated his stance, saying “He’s an important part of this team. He plays a big role for us. We need to add him back. We need to add John Kuhn back. Those are two guys out there right now who are important to us. It’s not my decision, but I’m definitely pulling for those guys to bring ’em back.”

In between those two public pleas, Rodgers went upstairs and made a more private one, and while it’s hard to imagine general manager Ted Thompson making a move on his quarterback’s say-so, it apparently helped.

In 65 career games and 18 starts (including playoffs), Jones has caught 166 passes for 2,305 yards and 16 touchdowns. Last season was his most productive, with 50 catches for 679 yards and five touchdowns in 16 regular-season games and 11 catches for 144 yards and two touchdowns in the Packers’ four postseason games, including Super Bowl XLV.

But he also dropped what may have been four long touchdowns during the season: a potential 72-yard touchdown in the Packers’ 9-0 win over the New York Jets on Oct. 31; a possible 29-yard touchdown in the Packers’ 45-17 victory over the New York Giants on Dec. 26; a likely 63-yard touchdown pass from Rodgers the Packers’ 21-16 NFC Wild Card victory at Philadelphia; and a potential 75-yard touchdown in the Packers’ victory over Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XLV.

Asked about those dropped passes and the expectations that will come with his extension, Jones replied, “Every year I try to raise my level of expectation, and that’s not going to change. I expect to be an impact player. Those plays I let go last year will definitely get made this year. You have to make the most of your chances. I don’t blame the fans, I don’t blame the media for getting on me. Those are touchdowns, so it’s well-deserved. But I’m harder on me than anyone else is.”

On Wednesday, an NFL source said Jones was close to a deal with the Minnesota Vikings. Then, there were reports that the New York Jets were interested. Jones said he spoke to his agent, Frank Bauer, only twice this week: Once when the Vikings showed interest, and once when Bauer called to tell him the deal with the Packers was done. Jones said he didn’t even know how much his deal was worth.

“I don’t know how those talks (with the Vikings) went. Obviously they didn’t go too well,” said Jones, who watched the Vikings sign Michael Jenkins instead and the Jets add Plaxico Burress. “I just left it all in my agent’s hands. I told him I wanted to be back with the Packers, and he made that happen. I’m just glad to be back and go.”

Jones, 27, said he decided to sign a three-year deal – just like Jennings did before last season – so it will also give him another bite at the free-agency apple. With Driver, 36, in the twilight of his career and fellow receiver Jordy Nelson entering the final year of his deal, Jones expects to take on a more prominent role in the offense, even though under coach Mike McCarthy there should be enough balls to go around.

“That’s the plan. Eventually I’m going to be a starter,” Jones said. “We wanted a three-year deal so we could get back to the market sooner. But hopefully I don’t get there. Hopefully I do well and I can get an extension (from the Packers). But I’m not worried about that right now. I’m just glad I’m back.

“You know, it’s been crazy. If I didn’t have to go through it, that would’ve been good. But everything happens for a reason. I’m glad I went through it. I was nervous, excited, didn’t know what was going to happen. You get anxious and nervous. I’m glad it’s over. I’m glad I’m back.”

540ESPNMilwaukee wrote:

UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago
It's hard for me to imagine Ted Thompson giving much weight to the opinions of his players, but at the very least, this is great from a team unity standpoint. It's good to know that all four of these guys (Jones, Rodgers, Driver, and Jennings) are on the same page. It's especially classy for Driver, as he is likely to lose his job to Jones in the next year or two.
blank
DoddPower
12 years ago

It's hard for me to imagine Ted Thompson giving much weight to the opinions of his players, but at the very least, this is great from a team unity standpoint. It's good to know that all four of these guys (Jones, Rodgers, Driver, and Jennings) are on the same page. It's especially classy for Driver, as he is likely to lose his job to Jones in the next year or two.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

I believe Jones and Nelson will out play Driver to such an extent this season, that they will see more targets and more playing time. Driver will be one of the best # 3/4 WRs in the league though, and might get more playing time in base packages due to his toughness in the run game.
bozz_2006
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. My mom always told me to leave things better than they were when I got there. Driver must believe in that axiom too.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Does this writer have a fetish with the word implore or something? This is at least the second article he has used it in. Just because it sounds good doesn't mean it is the right word in this situation. From what I saw, Rodgers certainly suggested -- and rather strongly -- that resigning Jones would be good for the team, but to say he "implored" the Packers to do so would be vastly overstating the case.

Rodgers got what he wanted. Good. Hopefully he has some smart ideas on how to train Jones to put his damn hands together on over-the-shoulder catches. His flat-palmed ineptitude has pissed me off too many times.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (3h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (3h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (5h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (5h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (5h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (6h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (6h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (17h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (18h) : damn those vikings
beast (19h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (19h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (19h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (19h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (19h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
21m / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

29m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

59m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.