Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
The more I learn about this cat.. the more I liken him to another DT that is a favorite. Nice little piece on the big nasty.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=786298 

[img_r]http://i.packers.com/pg/pickett_ryan_2007/photo1.jpg[/img_r]

lnickel@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Aug. 23, 2008
Green Bay - There is a difference between being bored and being frustrated, and Ryan Pickett will tell you exactly what it is.

Bored is what he is right now, rehabilitating a mildly injured hamstring throughout all of training camp as if his life depended on it because Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy wants to make sure his big run-stuffer is healthy and ready for that Monday night opener against Minnesota.

Its mental torture to Pickett because, well, one look at Pickett explains why the 6-foot-2, 330-pound defensive tackle was destined to be on a football field and not hunched over a bench press.

But frustrated? No.

Thats what Pickett was after five years in St. Louis, so much so that even after leading all defensive linemen in tackles in 2005, he signed on to come here before he even saw Green Bay. Trapped in a little medical facility on his visit all day, his wife, Jill, ran around town, reporting back to him on the cell phone that this was the place they needed to be.

What? Pickett peered out the window for at least a glimpse of this tiny National Football League crazed town before he said something like, Yes, dear.

It didnt take much persuading.

Boredom will make the mind wander on the stationary bike, but frustration will drive a man to start over in a totally unknown world.

At first, St. Louis was ideal. The Rams were 14-2 in Picketts rookie season in 2001. The Greatest Show on Turf had a pretty nice defense, too, ranked third overall by allowing just 279 yards, but Picketts role was reserved.

Pickett emerged as a starter in 2002, but the next four years always ended up coming up short compared to that impressive 01 season.

The Rams were 7-9 in 2002; 10-6 in 2003; 8-8 in 2004; and 6-10 in 2005, with wild-card berths in 03 and 04 and just one playoff victory.

Those defenses were also ranked, in the same order, 13th, 16th, 17th and 30th.

That was hard for me in St. Louis, said Pickett. I was always grouped with how bad the defense was doing. It was, The defense is doing bad, so the first-round draft pick has to be doing bad. If the defense was bad and we werent winning, all the blame had to go someplace.

Pickett, the first-round draft pick in 2001 (29th overall) was joined by two other first-rounders on the line, Damione Lewis (12th overall in 2001) and DT Jimmy Kennedy (12th overall in 2003). Pickett always was lumped into that group by critics as overrated and unproductive. When Pickett registered 115 tackles to lead NFL linemen in 2005, and it still didnt help one of the worst defenses in the league, hed reached his breaking point.

He was ready to test free agency.

It really wasnt tough to leave. It was pretty easy, said Pickett. I was just ready to move on. The defense, we were always the bottom of the pack and I just think St. Louis is more of a baseball town. The football wasnt the first thing; it was more like we were the second team in St. Louis. I just thought it was time for me to leave it.

Where next? Seattle? He booked a trip. Buffalo? Yes. . . .

Green Bay? Why not?

After talking to McCarthy on the phone a few times and trusting the feedback from his wife, Pickett joined Charles Woodson in the spring of 2006 as Green Bay general manager Ted Thompsons rare, high-profile free-agent signings.

I knew once he got to Green Bay he was like, Man, St. Louis was horrible in comparison, said Picketts brother, Booker. All the while he was in St. Louis he tried to be pretty positive even though he didnt care for it.

Picketts reputation in Green Bay is that is he as reliable as he is unheralded. But inside the locker room hes considered as irreplaceable as veteran cornerbacks Woodson and Al Harris. Its just that the anchor of the defense isnt going to get the sacks an end would, so there are few glorious moments. When Pickett is at his best, he is just clogging the drain.

Yeah, but hes not getting moved, said nickel cornerback Tramon Williams. Cant nobody move him. He can hold it down for the run defense.

Added tackle Johnny Jolly: He takes up the double-team well. He has a lot of strength. Theres nobody moving around Pickett.

Even still, Pickett made 166 tackles in two years in Green Bay. And he stayed healthy. Though he was unaware of it until now, he also had a streak of 107 straight games played 77 straight starts including playoffs that began midway through 2003 and ended at the end of last season. In that streak, he played through a high ankle sprain, an injured hamstring and a groin injury.

So his new injured left hamstring, which he tweaked just a week before camp started, doesnt bother him and doesnt seem to concern anybody else. That Pickett can basically sit out most of camp and draw no concerns that he can pick it up right away says a lot about his talent.

Hopefully I can play in the Tennessee game, Pickett said of the Packers final exhibition game Thursday. Its hurting to sit out. Its hard. Its one of the hardest things to do, especially watching the players go through the rough times, and you just want to go through them with them.

But Im not really worried about it at all. I had a string of injuries before and bounced back.

Pickett comes from a family of athletes.

His father, Rubin Sr., was a standout baseball player who played a little in the minors. The story goes he was so slick and smooth they nicknamed him Grease.

Rubins sons all played football. Rubin Jr. was called a linebacker with a headhunters mentality by the St. Petersburg Times and also was a decent running back. He went on to play at Northeast Louisiana. After gaining 1,000 yards as a junior in high school, Booker switched over to play defensive tackle at the University of Miami. Ryan was nicknamed Big Grease.

At Zephyrhills (Fla.) High, just north of Tampa, Ryan was athletic enough to work out with Booker and the Hurricanes during tough summer conditioning in Miami. As a high school senior, Ryan could play offensive and defensive line and even linebacker.

Can you imagine that? said Booker. Its like, 280 playing middle linebacker? We said boy if you can play linebacker that big, youre special.

He still runs pretty well for a big guy and his quickness is pretty exceptional.

Pickett said after spending the entire off-season here for the first time, hes in the best shape of his stint with the Packers.

Sleep deprivation doesnt count. Its not unusual for him to wake up with little fingers pulling back his eyelids and someone going, Are you up, Daddy? Pickett has four children, the oldest 4 years old and the youngest seven weeks.

Yet Pickett pushes on, on the treadmill during practice, in the pool, missing practice, fighting past the boredom, because in Green Bay, he feels hes making a difference even if hes not making headlines.

I love it here, Pickett said, tugging on his beard while in thought. The last two years have been the best years of me playing football. I went through rough times for a reason. I love it here. Ill probably always be under the radar, but I dont care. I think I have the respect of my teammates and the coaches.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
strobl2
15 years ago
Good article, when I heard we signed him back in 2005 I was very excited. He is one of my favorite defensive players on the packers. Its always nice to have a guy that can take double teams and clog up the middle.
blank
Greg C.
15 years ago
Considering how the defense has looked without him, he should get a raise.
blank
Cheesey
15 years ago

Considering how the defense has looked without him, he should get a raise.

"Greg C." wrote:

SHHHHHHH!!!!
He might HEAR you!!! :blackeye:
The guy is a force, for sure! And him being HAPPY that he's here helps too! The time in St. Louis seems to have made him appreciate our little ol' Green Bay!!!
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
15 years ago
my main concern was that he be in football shape once he healed up. sounds like it's not that much of a concern, so me = happy.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago

my main concern was that he be in football shape once he healed up. sounds like it's not that much of a concern, so me = happy.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

I myself am in GREAT football shape.
In fact..........I'm shaped just like one!!!! :thumbright:
UserPostedImage
Tiger
15 years ago
TT dosent get enough credit for getting Pickett on board, the Packers would be in fierce trouble without him clogging up the run game.
blank
zombieslayer
15 years ago

TT dosent get enough credit for getting Pickett on board, the Packers would be in fierce trouble without him clogging up the run game.

"Tiger" wrote:

I think the reason is Woodson was a higher profile. Everyone knew about Woodson going to the Packers. Most people had no idea who Pickett even was at the time.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
bozz_2006
15 years ago

Most people had no idea who Pickett even was at the time.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Thank you St. Louis Rams!
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Ted Thompson dosent get enough credit for getting Pickett on board, the Packers would be in fierce trouble without him clogging up the run game.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I think the reason is Woodson was a higher profile. Everyone knew about Woodson going to the Packers. Most people had no idea who Pickett even was at the time.

"Tiger" wrote:

Very underrated guy. Even more so now, after a year where the defensive line was far from impressive.

Glad to still have him on board, though. I think that his might be one of the best pick-ups we've done, looking at it from a 3-4 stand point.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

2h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.