macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
I thought his criticisms of Neal not practicing because of surgery to be a little off base, labeling him the 'Biggest Disappointment'.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/29345/camp-confidential-packers-2 

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The NFL lockout robbed the Green Bay Packers of some traditional pomp and circumstance normally afforded to Super Bowl champions. They have yet to visit the White House. Their ring distribution was pushed back to an anticlimactic mid-June ceremony. Some key players didn't finalize new contracts until late July.

So as they reported to training camp this past weekend, the Packers were focused on recreating the special circumstances that led to their Super Bowl XLV victory in hopes of an encore trip this season. They bid farewell to several players whose jobs were phased out by the end of 2010, but at the public behest of quarterback Aaron Rodgers and others, they brought back a number of others whose secondary contributions seemed too valuable to lose.

"That was important," Rodgers said. "I don't think you get better by robbing from the whole. We were fortunate enough to bring back some of our guys and also bring some guys back who were injured. You start off with a great amount of chemistry between the guys. It's a close-knit locker room, and guys hang out with each other, enjoy spending time together and enjoy working together.

"So we have that going for us, which I know doesn't go on for every team, and that does a lot. When you can count on the guy next to you, when you spend time with him, when you spend time after practice watching film, that's important stuff when it comes down to crunch time and winning games."

Appropriately, I spoke with Rodgers only after he wrapped up a locker room card game. Having been apart for the entire offseason, Packers players clearly were relishing the renewal of friendships and bonds forged during their championship run. Coach Mike McCarthy said the Packers' "No. 1 issue" will be handling success, and players are channeling that request toward a second Super Bowl title -- and a proper celebration afterward.

"A-Rod was able to keep some of the guys that he wants so they can still be explosive," safety Nick Collins said. "We kept some of our main people on defense so we can keep doing what we're doing. Now it's just a matter of putting it all together again."

THREE HOT ISSUES

1. Tight end Jermichael Finley is back (most of him): Felled last season by a Week 5 knee injury and later a postsurgical infection, the Packers tight end reported to training camp in superb shape after a long rehabilitation. He has without question trimmed his already-wiry frame and drew skepticism when he insisted he weighed in at 240 pounds.

The Packers' medical staff prescribed a gradual return to football activities, but it didn't take long for Finley to display his unique receiving skills during an individual drill. When two quarterbacks inadvertently threw him passes, Finley calmly caught one and tucked it under his arm, then caught the other.

Finley's return will prove as challenging as it is exciting and should be a focal point over the next few weeks. After his injury, the Packers refocused their offense around receiver Greg Jennings. Rodgers said it will be a "challenge" to fold in the pre- and post-injury schemes.

"You add another talented guy back to the mix like that," Rodgers said, "and it's tough to get the ball around to all of our skill guys. You've got to find a way to get everyone else involved, realizing that you might be bringing back the most talented guy to the offense.

"When [Finley] is out there, we're a different team. Defensive coordinators have a difficult job when they're trying to figure out how to cover him. It's going to be important for us to find ways to get him the ball but also to keep the other guys involved who played big roles for us last year."

2. The extents of leadership: Rodgers said in a number of interviews that he wanted the Packers to re-sign receiver James Jones and running back John Kuhn. Both returned with three-year contracts on Sunday.

But Rodgers insisted in the strongest terms possible that he never went to general manager Ted Thompson to plead either case. "That's 100 percent untrue," he said.

Asked how much he talked to Thompson or coach Mike McCarthy about the issue, Rodgers said: "Zero."

He added, "I don't get paid to do that. I get paid to play quarterback. I don't make those decisions. You look at Ted's track record. He's done an incredible job of bringing in talent. They've done an incredible job bringing in talent; they bring in the talent, I get paid to play quarterback. It's not my style to go up there and say anything to those guys."

At the same time, let's not be naive. When a Super Bowl MVP publicly calls for a reasonable personnel move, it shouldn't be surprising to see it happen.

3. Backfield rotation: I saw no evidence that the Packers plan for anything other than Ryan Grant to be their starting tailback when the season opens. There has been plenty of discussion about Grant's future after the postseason emergence of James Starks and the arrival of rookie Alex Green, but Grant worked with the first team throughout the first three days of practice and had some runs, McCarthy said, "that looked like Ryan Grant looks like in the regular season."

Starks also got some time with the first team, and that kind of rotation is fully expected to continue. The one question mark is on third downs following the free-agent departure of Brandon Jackson. Neither Grant nor Starks is known for his receiving ability. Could Green be that guy? Or is that why Rodgers wanted Kuhn back? I'm guessing it's the latter.

BIGGEST SURPRISE

Under McCarthy, the Packers have a long history of shifting offensive linemen to fill vacant positions. But it was still interesting to see first-round draft pick Derek Sherrod line up at left guard with the first team for three consecutive practices.

Sherrod was drafted as a left tackle and said he had never played left guard before Saturday evening. He appeared to hold his own on a physical level, although there was no doubt that his head was swimming in the Packers' playbook.

"Once he gets it down mentally, he's going to be a damn good player," right guard Josh Sitton said. "I think he's got the confidence. He's got the talent level. I think he's going to be a good player."

If Sherrod maintains his spot, the Packers will open the season with two first-round picks and one second-rounder among their five starters. And after adding his 6-foot-5, 321-pound frame to the group, the Packers now have what McCarthy called "our biggest line in my six years here."

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

Since last summer, we've been hearing about the potential of defensive end Mike Neal, the Packers' second-round pick in the 2010 draft. His chiseled 294-pound frame certainly looks the part. But Neal didn't practice much during my time in Green Bay because he is still recovering from surgery this past fall to repair a torn labrum and rotator cuff in his shoulder.

I'm not in any way questioning Neal's toughness or the level of his rehabilitation. But the departure of veteran Cullen Jenkins opened the door for Neal to take the right end job and own it. Nothing can happen until he heals and strings together a few weeks of uninterrupted practice. The Packers are hoping to accelerate his return by the end of this week. For now, the Packers are using C.J. Wilson in that spot.

OBSERVATION DECK

Rookie Randall Cobb is working at all three receiving positions as both a kickoff and punt returner and even as the backup holder. His acceleration and aggressiveness in the open field were eye-opening, at least with the team in shorts and helmets. Although much could change, McCarthy said he is giving Cobb a longer look at punt returner than at kickoffs. He is hoping Green emerges to handle the latter.

•McCarthy has been complimentary of rookie tight ends D.J. Williams and Ryan Taylor. Both are athletic and have good hands. Because of Finley's return schedule and Andrew Quarless' hip flexor, Williams and Taylor both got good work with the first team. You have to wonder whether Williams, especially, will challenge Quarless' roster spot.

The Packers have shifted to a new camp schedule that features one practice a day, usually with a 7 p.m. local start. The plus for players? No two-a-days. The downside? "There are a lot more meetings," linebacker Clay Matthews said. Rodgers said, "We're in meetings all day. It's a great opportunity for young guys to get into the playbook. But it is a longer day because you're in meetings, but it's positive for the young guys." McCarthy planned this schedule before the lockout, but in the end it will help new players catch up quicker.

•Matthews slimmed down with a focus on running this offseason and came to training camp determined to avoid the hamstring injuries he incurred in the Packers' previous two training camps. (Did he really need those camps? You decide.) I thought it was interesting that on the first play of team drills in full pads, Matthews stood up right tackle Bryan Bulaga and made the stop on a running play. One of the Packers' weaknesses last season was run defense on Matthews' side.

•Why was Jones' return so important? Here's how Jennings put it: "We're looked at and viewed as one of the better receiving corps in the NFL. You unplug any one of those guys, that outlook kind of goes down. I don't care which one you unplug, it goes down. If we had lost James, we definitely would have had a void to fill."

•McCarthy hasn't always kept three quarterbacks on his 53-man roster, but he likes what he's seen from No. 3 quarterback Graham Harrell. I like keeping the third quarterback, and frankly it's risky the way we've gone about it," McCarthy said. "If you asked me my druthers, if I could keep three quarterbacks, I would always keep three, and I would have a fourth on developmental. It's the most important position in football. ... When it was Brett [Favre] and Aaron you never blinked. But Matt [Flynn] has also now shown he is durable and a tough guy, so he's also given us that flexibility to go and carry the extra DB. But if you're asking me to assess it from a risk standpoint, I would definitely lean toward keeping a third."

•I saw one padded practice in my three days with the Packers. It lasted nearly two and a half hours. McCarthy called it "sluggish," but to me it was understandable. The biggest sign that players weren't quite in their element yet: not a single fight or raised temper that I could see.

•Safety Morgan Burnett (knee) has been cleared for full practice but is not yet working with the first team. To this point, at least, Charlie Peprah has maintained his starting spot. At right outside linebacker, however, the Packers rotated three players with the first team: Frank Zombo, Erik Walden and Brad Jones.

ESPN wrote:

UserPostedImage
Since69
12 years ago
Lots of good news in there... I think this might have been my favorite:

If Sherrod maintains his spot, the Packers will open the season with two first-round picks and one second-rounder among their five starters. And after adding his 6-foot-5, 321-pound frame to the group, the Packers now have what McCarthy called "our biggest line in my six years here."

I'll be glad to see our line get back to dominating in the trenches. The shift to smaller, more athletic linemen doing the zone-blocking thing (once in a while) never seemed to work out.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago
I guess he had a "biggest disappointment" category and he had to fill it. Maybe it's a good sign that he couldn't think of anyone better than Neal to put there. Last year he might have picked Clay Matthews, who missed much of training camp with an injured hamstring.

The dumbest thing he wrote, though, is that he expects John Kuhn to be the third down back. That doesn't even make sense.
blank
porky88
12 years ago

Lots of good news in there... I think this might have been my favorite:

I'll be glad to see our line get back to dominating in the trenches. The shift to smaller, more athletic linemen doing the zone-blocking thing (once in a while) never seemed to work out.

Originally Posted by: Since69 

They're still very much a zone running team. It's just that now offensive lineman are athletic and big simultaneously.
nerdmann
12 years ago

I guess he had a "biggest disappointment" category and he had to fill it. Maybe it's a good sign that he couldn't think of anyone better than Neal to put there. Last year he might have picked Clay Matthews, who missed much of training camp with an injured hamstring.

The dumbest thing he wrote, though, is that he expects John Kuhn to be the third down back. That doesn't even make sense.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

Agreed. Both Starks and Green are known to be able to catch out of the backfield.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
12 years ago
I'm not a big Kevin Seifert fan... I've questioned his football knowledge (or lack there of) an the logic he uses for ideas.

1) Duh, Finley is important
2) Most thought Kuhn was saying and the $$$ amount still hasn't been leaked. Word is normally when $$$ amount isn't leaked then the agent isn't happy about it... the maybe no other team had real interested in Jones.
3)Of course the vet is going to get the start... that's how Mike McCarthy does things unless the younger guy is clearly out playing the vet then maybe there is a switch.

(Sherrod) appeared to hold his own on a physical level

First two days, no pads. Third day other writers were saying he was getting beat some and not having a great day.

McCarthy said he is giving Cobb a longer look at punt returner than at kickoffs. He is hoping Green emerges to handle the latter.

If Mike McCarthy said that, then it's strange how all the other reporters in the room missed the part where he said he hope Green hands it over Cobb... what a couple of the other reporter reported was Mike McCarthy saying

“Randall will definitely have an opportunity to earn the punt return job,” McCarthy said, “and I really like what I’ve seen from Alex Green on the kick returns.”

Didn't see anywhere Mike McCarthy was playing favors and hoping for one over the other until that article.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago
Was hoping to have a WR or CB on KR duties instead of a RB. Besides Gale Sayers, I can't think of too many RBs I liked at KR duties. Usually the good KRs are WRs or CBs.

Oh well. I won't question them. I was just hoping Cobb would get both duties. From what I've heard, the more the ball is in his hands, the more dangerous he is.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
porky88
12 years ago

First two days, no pads. Third day other writers were saying he was getting beat some and not having a great day.

Originally Posted by: beast 

Regarding Sherrod, the little I saw of him at Senior Bowl did not impress me. Therefore, it wouldn't shock me if he's the type that has average practice tape, but good game tape.
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
I think the biggest disappointment is that Neal got hurt and we didn't get to see him. Not that he was disappointing. If the writer of the article meant that, I would agree. If he didn't, he is a nitwit.

Starks is a good receiver. He catches the ball well and transitions to gaining yards very fluidly. I think he is not picking up on the pass blocking fast enough.

Even Grant is a decent pass catcher. He had something like 70 receptions in 2.5 years. Not totally incompetent.

I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (11h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (14h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (15h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (18h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (18h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (18h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.