wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Packers pay Hawk to run things smoothly  

The email from an executive in personnel for an NFC team arrived March 8, five days after the Green Bay Packers signed A.J. Hawk to a five-year, $33.75 million contract, including $10.95 million guaranteed.

It read: "What are those guys thinking about giving that linebacker (Hawk) all that money?"

The new deal for Hawk came two months after general manager Ted Thompson gave Desmond Bishop $18 million over four years.

At the combine, coach Mike McCarthy made it clear that Bishop was the team's No. 1 player at inside linebacker.

Those two deals meant Nick Barnett's eight-year career was over in Green Bay. On Sunday, two days after being released from the final two years of the six-year, $34.98 million contract he signed in April 2007, Barnett signed with Buffalo.

The personnel man's question was legitimate. Inside linebacker might be the least important position in a 3-4 defense, and for most of Hawk's career he had been a pretty ordinary player.

After starting for five seasons, never missing a game and playing probably 85% of the snaps, Hawk made a ton of tackles (666, counting playoffs) but not an abundance of impact plays: Eight interceptions, two forced fumbles, four recovered fumbles, 10 sacks, 15 tackles for loss, 32 passes defensed and no touchdowns.

Not only hasn't Hawk made the Pro Bowl, he was never named to the All-NFC North team selected by scouts for the Journal Sentinel.

"Marginal starter," a personnel director for another NFC team said late last season. "Not a take-on linebacker. He's never going to play to the level where he was drafted. He’s a linebacker that if you keep him clean and give him an alley to the football, he can be productive."

Over the years, most scouts preferred Barnett to Hawk. It was Barnett who ran the defense, made the harder hits and showed more range to the sideline.

That all changed, at least in the eyes of the Packers, in Week 4 last season when Barnett suffered a season-ending wrist injury. Besides being 2½ years older than Hawk, Barnett also had a balky right knee that had been reconstructed in 2008.

Even given Hawk's superior durability, it's doubtful if the Packers would have paid Hawk that kind of money (his average salary ranks eighth among inside/middle linebackers) unless McCarthy and defensive coordinator Dom Capers hadn't seen a different side of him in 2010.

Minus Barnett, the job of receiving the defensive call electronically from the coaches and then presenting it in the huddle fell to Hawk. The coaches say Hawk flourished like never before with the additional responsibility.

"I think he grew as a leader," McCarthy said a week before Hawk's new deal became final. "I think he commanded the defense very well. We were very consistent, very stable under him. His preparation is very consistent. He's the quarterback of the defense. I think A.J. belongs in Green Bay."

Barnett ran the huddle much the same way he played: emotionally.

"With A.J. calling the plays, it was a little bit more relaxed," said Bishop, adding that Hawk's style was no more effective than Barnett's intense approach.

"But when you're a young player like myself and you have somebody like A.J. commanding the defense with composure, it keeps you composed," nose tackle B.J. Raji said. "If they're driving on us, A.J. is the same way as if we're shutting them down. That allows you to just continue to play."

Once imprecise in coverage, Hawk tightened his drops. His pass rush remained marginal and he still got stuck on blocks too often, but the coaches seemed to trust his performance.

"In a meeting, Dom Capers was saying we'd rather have a guy run 4.6 every time than a guy who runs 4.4 sometimes," Bishop said. "With A.J., you get a wholesome, smart player. Tough. From play 1 to play 70."

Four games in, Bishop had one tackle for the season and 48 for nearly 31/2 seasons. With Barnett sidelined, Hawk moved to the strong inside and Bishop took over on the weak side. In the last 16 games, Bishop amassed 150 tackles, a team-high 9.4 per game.

"He's probably the most instinctive guy in the defensive front seven," McCarthy said. "You always saw it in spurts. Given the full opportunity to perform, I thought Desmond had a heck of a year."

The Packers waived Brandon Chillar after he suffered a serious hamstring injury a few weeks ago, and holdover Matt Wilhelm apparently won't be re-signed.

Unless undersized rookie D.J. Smith, versatile journeyman Rob Francois or physical rookie free agent Elijah Joseph come through, the Packers might have to sign a veteran or move Brad Jones inside.

Despite playing on a sore shin until mid-December, Clay Matthews improved in most areas and made all-pro. On a team loaded with defensive stars, Raji said Matthews was his pick as the greatest.

"He's a guy you can't block on most plays," said Raji. "Clay makes plays that aren't designed for him to make. It's just his ability takes over."

Matthews' work ethic helps him maximize his talent and rubs off on others. He's also a student of the game, a multi-faceted pass rusher and more than adequate against run and pass.

“My gosh, is he good,” an NFC scout said. “He’s got to have a competitive heart beyond most people’s.”

For two years the Packers have talked about drafting another outside linebacker high but settled on other positions. Thus, they'll enter another season with three less-than-household names competing on the right side: Frank Zombo, Erik Walden and Jones.

Last year, the starter switched seven times due to injury. Jones opened the first two games, followed by Zombo for two, Jones for three, Zombo for six, Walden for one, Francois for one, Walden for four and Zombo for one.

"Walden was (NFC) defensive player of the week in the one game (Chicago, Week 16)," McCarthy said. "I think Frank was probably the most consistent. If Brad can stay healthy, he's a good football player. I feel a lot better about this group than I did a year ago."

Zombo was the most rugged of the three at the point of attack and developed into more than just a bull rusher.

Walden meshed beautifully with position coach Kevin Greene, fit his athleticism into a structured defense and seemed to mature with Green Bay, his fourth team.

Compared by McCarthy to former Steeler-Seahawk Chad Brown, who also played at Colorado, Jones is an unorthodox pass rusher with natural leverage against the run.

Draft choice Ricky Elmore and free agents Vic So'oto and Jamari Lattimore all played down in college but have rush potential.

“When you’re coming off a year like we had, having good competition is encouraging to me,” Capers said. “Guys will be fighting every day to prove they’re the guy.”

UserPostedImage
12 years ago

Hawk made a ton of tackles (666)

Hehe.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (10h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (11h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (13h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (13h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (14h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

43m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.