wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
McCarthy insists no complacency on Packers 

Aside from an addition to the family on the eve of training camp, Mike McCarthy swears that being a first-time winner of the Super Bowl hasn't changed him as a head coach.

Players vouched for that, saying their personable, forward-thinking boss hasn't been stuck on living in the glorious past of winning the league title in February.

"No complacency, don't let it set in," safety Charlie Peprah said of McCarthy's camp-opening speech to the team Saturday morning. "He put a lot of responsibility on the vets to make sure that doesn't happen and just stay hungry, and have a hunter mentality versus being hunted.

"He kind of made it clear we're not defending anything. That was (Super Bowl) 45; 46 is 46. This is a new year, a new Super Bowl, we're hunting a championship like every other team. Last year doesn't matter to anyone. That's kind of the mindset."

The first week of football after the 4 1/2-month lockout for the reigning champions featured more subtractions than additions - not counting the arrival of Isabella McCarthy, to whom the coach's wife, Jessica, gave birth July 28 just hours before the players reported for work the next morning.

Although Green Bay's championship roster from the end of last season stayed mostly intact, the team had a handful of players leave in free agency. Most notable was the starting duo of defensive end Cullen Jenkins and left guard Daryn Colledge, who drew sizable five-year pacts from Philadelphia and Arizona, respectively.

"Rest assured that fans should know we're doing everything we can to be a good football team," said general manager Ted Thompson, who stuck to his conservative guns in not being active in the opening commotion of player movement.

Instead, Thompson ensured the Packers will remain one of the youngest teams in the league by releasing five veteran players - right tackle Mark Tauscher, defensive end Justin Harrell and linebackers Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar and Brady Poppinga - to give the team ample spending flexibility under the salary cap.

All of them were among the 15 players who were on injured reserve for Green Bay in the postseason.

Getting the likes of tight end Jermichael Finley, running back Ryan Grant, defensive end Mike Neal and safety Morgan Burnett from that list should be a boon for what many view as a team capable of becoming the NFL's first repeat champion since New England in 2004-05.

McCarthy just isn't looking backward.

"We're not defending anything," he asserted, coining last season's Super Bowl run Mountain 45.

"We've climbed Mountain 45. It was a great climb ... but we don't get any wins, and there's nothing really to gain from being the champion last year," McCarthy said. "This is a whole new journey. This is a whole new football team. We're at the bottom of the mountain just like everyone else is right now."

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers, the MVP of Super Bowl XLV, echoed his coach's sentiments and isn't ready to put the Packers back in the Super Bowl in Indianapolis just yet.

"Every year is different," Rodgers said. "It's different guys, different dilemmas, different adversity you have to deal with. You don't know what's going to happen as far as injuries or who's going to be playing, the roster the way it looks now."

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (1h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (1h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (2h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (2h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (13h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (14h) : damn those vikings
beast (15h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (15h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (15h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (15h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (15h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (22h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (23h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (23h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16m / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.