Poll Question: Outside Linebackers are Clay Matthews III and ...

Total: 14

Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I was gonna make this a poll, but would rather get opinions oh wait I changed the notification window, I'm gonna make it a poll.

Who do think is going to be the starting outside linebacker opposite of Clay Matthews III?

Edit, haha, guess you just witnessed a small case of ADD in the first sentence.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
12 years ago
I think Walden will take it even though it's really anyone's guess between him, Jones and Zombo.

Edit: If someone asks me for a reason, I'll just say dreadlocks.
This is a placeholder
Pack93z
12 years ago
Again.. we have little to base it off of.. lol. [aiee]

By opposite of Matthews.. I take it your looking for the majority of snaps guy.

Seriously.. I think on athletic talent alone, I think Jones has the overall best chance to take the spot. But for whatever reason, that talent hasn't equated to his game on the field to date. Flashes here and there, just lack of consistency, although he is still a very young player and with the injury last season.. still not a ton of experience on the field.

Walden has to learn how to anchor against the run from what I seen last season, but as a pass rusher flashed a bit. Takes on blocks too high IMO and doesn't keep his body clean from the lineman's hands.. gets stuck.

Zombo looks like a guy that will blossom at some point, has a drive about him. IMO, not as athletically gifted as a Jones but seems to get more out of his snaps than a Jones. Seems to use his length well..

Briggs.. IMO.. haven't seen enough to form an opinion on the field. Preseason and camp is important to this late season pick up. I really want to see what he brings..

Elmore.. if his drive from college carries over, and I anticipate it, I can see him making this squad for special teams and developmental purposes.. just don't think his game is complete enough to set him on the corner right now by choice.. by injury need maybe.. or specifically to rush the passer.. but not a 3 down backer IMO out of the gate.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
I don't know, I thought Jones would be able to clearly win the position and have an impact but that doesn't seem to be happening. Then trying him inside...? Zumbo seems to be steady and tenacious. Walden has taken the biggest step so far. If he continues he may be able to take over. Although I'm stll hoping for Jones to come on because he has the most ability.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Greg C.
12 years ago
It's a very interesting three-way race. I think Zombo did the best job last year, so that's who I'm going with. Jones was the invisible man when he played that position, I think it was for six games, last year. Walden had the one three-sack game but was otherwise pretty quiet. Zombo made his presence felt more than either of those guys. When Jones was a rookie two years ago, he may have looked more talented than he was because he was more familiar with the 3-4 OLB position than most other rookies, and many veterans, are when they come in. Last year he didn't stand out, but then, maybe he was hampered by injuries.
blank
Pack93z
12 years ago
Timely post on the same topic..

Erik Walden Doesn’t Lack In Confidence 

By Brian Carriveau on Aug 08, 2011 with 0 Comments

The three players vying for the starting right outside linebacker spot opposite Clay Matthews all have their individual strengths.

Frank Zombo is regarded by some as the best run defender, a stout player that can hold the edge. Erik Walden might have the quickest first step and be the fastest to the quarterback. Brad Jones is probably the most fluid of the three, the best in pass coverage and has the most experience in the system.

It's not inconceivable that Dom Capers will institute some sort of platoon that will take advantage of all three players' abilities in certain down and distances.

But that won't happen if Walden has anything to say about it.

"Maybe, but being the greedy guy I am, I don't want it like that," said Walden. "I'm doing everything in my ability to conquer the spot, just allowing me to make plays and go out and contribute."

The fourth-year player from Middle Tennessee State isn't ready to concede anything just yet. To hear him speak, Walden has the tone of a man that wants to be a three-down player, not unlike Matthews.

And he's not shying away from head-to-head-to-head battle he's forging with Zombo and Jones each and every day at training camp.

"I don't feel there's no pressure," said Walden. "It's just football. It's definitely great to have competition, but at the end of the day, I feel like the best man will prevail, and I feel that's me. I'm just working hard, just trying to do what I can do to allow myself to be successful."

With the elimination of two-a-day practices this training camp thanks to new collective bargaining agreement regulations and a preference of the Packers coaching staff, repetitions are at a premium for a guy like Walden who has less time to impress than summers past.

At the same time, he's trying to take advantage of the classroom, walkthrough and correctional period sessions as much as possible and hopes it will translates to the field of play.

"Your margin of error is smaller being that you have all day to take in the mental process," said Walden. "When you get out there, it should allow you to play full speed."

The task in front of Walden will be to duplicate what made him the NFC's Defensive Player of the Week in the regular season finale last season against the Chicago Bears that catapulted the Packers to a playoff berth and a run that would culminate in a Super Bowl victory.

Coming into that game Walden had accumulated 36 career tackles in three seasons as a journeyman that saw him go from the Kansas City Chiefs to the Miami Dolphins and finally to the Packers as a mid-season signee when injuries ended the seasons of Jones and Brady Poppinga.

Walden didn't have any sacks prior to the Week 17 game against the Bears but still managed to sack Jay Cutler three times that day and rack up 12 total tackles on his way to player of the week honors.

The outside linebacker would start the following the first three games of the playoffs, but never had quite the same impact before injuring himself and giving way to Zombo to start the Super Bowl.

One challenge will be for Walden to become more consistent. Putting up 12 tackles and three sacks game in and game out is unrealistic, but just by becoming a reliable contributor, the Packers defense would benefit in 2011.

It starts in a game environment this Saturday, in the Packers' preseason opener at Cleveland against the Browns, a game Walden is looking forward to.

"Absolutely," said Walden. "We're tired of beating up on each other. We've got one more work week left, then it's Friday we take off, and then Saturday, we get into Cleveland and it's game day."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
The_Claymaker
12 years ago
I said Zombo. I'm surprised Walden is getting so much love (1st prior to my vote, I would have him behind Zombo and Jones), I know he played pretty well down the stretch/into the playoffs, but didn't Zombo start the Super Bowl when he got healthy?
Greg C.
12 years ago

I said Zombo. I'm surprised Walden is getting so much love (1st prior to my vote, I would have him behind Zombo and Jones), I know he played pretty well down the stretch/into the playoffs, but didn't Zombo start the Super Bowl when he got healthy?

Originally Posted by: The_Claymaker 

Zombo came back to play in the Super Bowl, but he was the only option for the coaches because Walden had been injured in the NFC championship game. The coaches would've had an interesting decision on their hands if both players had been healthy for the Super Bowl. Walden had played in the last 4-5 games and held up well, so I suspect he would've gotten the nod, or maybe the coaches would've platooned them.
blank
nerdmann
12 years ago

Zombo came back to play in the Super Bowl, but he was the only option for the coaches because Walden had been injured in the NFC championship game. The coaches would've had an interesting decision on their hands if both players had been healthy for the Super Bowl. Walden had played in the last 4-5 games and held up well, so I suspect he would've gotten the nod, or maybe the coaches would've platooned them.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

Zombo would have played running downs, Walden, passing downs.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
beast (1h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (1h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (18h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (19h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (19h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (22h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (22h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.