wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Packers consider reconfigured base defense 

Ryan Pickett would shift back to nose tackle and B.J. Raji would move into even more of a play-making role in the reconfigured base defense that the Green Bay Packers are contemplating employing this season.

At the same time, Mike Neal would line up at strong-side defensive end in the new deployment.

"I love it," Raji said Tuesday. "The coaches are giving it a shot. It's our job, particularly me and 'Pick,' to prove them right. We've done a good job at practice."

The Packers' two most common alignments in their base 3-4 front are:

 Okie, in which both ends play a 5-technique head-up over the tackles while the nose tackle is head-up on the center.

 Eagle, in which the end to the strong (tight end) side is head-up on the tackle in a 5-technique, the nose tackle is in a shaded position just off the strong-side shoulder of the center, and the weak-side end is in a 3-technique position on the outside shoulder of the guard.

Last year, on the approximately 25% of the defensive snaps when the Packers were in the 3-4, they played far more Eagle than Okie. Usually, Pickett was the 5-technique on the left side, Raji was the shaded nose tackle and either Cullen Jenkins or Howard Green was the 3-technique on the right side.

In the new setup, the 340-pound Pickett would be back at nose tackle, where he started from 2006-'09 and probably is most effective, and Raji would have more freedom as a one-gap player in the spot previously occupied by Jenkins.

"I feel, and the coaches feel, that with my ability I should be able to give a lot of guards fits," Raji said. "Cullen will be a tough guy to replace. I'm very optimistic about my future. Hopefully, I can display more of my skills."

All three defensive linemen can't get into position until the offense leaves the huddle and the strength of the formation can be declared. Raji said defensive coordinator Dom Capers has called Eagle about the same number of times as Okie thus far in front of crowds numbering more than 2,500 fans night after night at Nitschke Field.

"Coach (Capers) wants to get a lot on film so they can evaluate and see where we are," Raji said. "Coach 'Trgo' (Mike Trgovac) talked it over with Dom. He felt some of the technique at the nose 'Pick' played the best going back two seasons."

Raji, who played 85% of the 1,259 defensive snaps in 20 games a year ago, basically lined up alongside Jenkins as 3-technique tackles in the nickel and dime defenses. Given the new version of the Eagle, he might be off the nose for good.
EDITED

JSOnline wrote:

I like the idea of Raji replacing Jenkins instead of Neal or others. Pickett seems happier when he is the NT. I wouldn't mind seeing Green play 1-2 downs most of the time and bringing in Neal for 2nd and 3rd and long. It will keep him a little fresher in order to get to the QB a half step faster.
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
12 years ago
I love it. Raji and Neal coming off the ends is exciting to think about. We've got at least 2 big guys we can stick on the nose who can hold up but nobody besides Raji with his abilities and size that we can bring off the end. This sounds like a good move.
blank
beast
12 years ago
I love the idea and the article. Pickett is best in a two gap run stopper role and Raji is best in a one gap role... so that's a win/win for those guys. Neal gets to be on Matthews side, so his side will get the focus on the extra blockers (say RB/FB/TE/etc) but he won't be the main focus, so good and bad there. They should be great at pass rushing on that said. But they also will have to hold up against the run.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
B.J. Raji is replacing Cullen Jenkins? Who's replacing Raji? (in a meeting, can't read the whole article just yet)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
From this article, it makes more sense, since I was able to read it. :)

B.J. Raji to Cullen Jenkins spot.
Ryan Picket to B.J. Raji's spot.
Mike Neal to Ryan Picket's spot.

B.J. Raji may move from nose tackle spot 

With so much attention being paid to the Packers’ sluggish offense early in training camp, it’s easy to overlook the defense.

Defensive coordinator Dom Capers’ group should be primed for a big year in their third season in the system. Promising defensive end Mike Neal and outside linebacker Brad Jones return from injury to bolster the group.

Despite losing Cullen Jenkins, the starting defensive line looks strong. It also may look a little different.

Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, who deservedly was honored with the Dick McCann award at the Hall of Fame last weekend, reports that the Packers are looking to move B.J. Raji from nose tackle to defensive end. He would trade places with Ryan Pickett.

“I love it,” Raji said. “The coaches are giving it a shot. It’s our job, particularly me and ‘Pick,’ to prove them right. We’ve done a good job at practice.”

Raji would have a chance to make more plays in the alignment lining up against guards; Raji is reportedly having a great camp. It plays to Pickett’s strengths too as a space eater. Neal would be on the other side.

If the Packers are going to maintain or improve this year, it will have to come from their young players developing. Raji and Neal are near the top of the list of players that can get better.

Gregg Rosenthal on August 10, 2011, 9:09 AM EDT wrote:

UserPostedImage
Yerko
12 years ago
This move makes so much sense and I am excited to see how it plays out. The speed Raji possesses with his body size will help him play a role at DE and surprise a lot of guards. Its also nice because Raji will have a one gap assignment.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago

B.J. Raji is replacing Cullen Jenkins? Who's replacing Raji? (in a meeting, can't read the whole article just yet)

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Sorry Zero. I was out of town at a meeting too and I just saw your post. Glad you figured it out.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago
SO EXPERTS-
Give me a refresher on 3 technique vs 5 technique vs 1 gap vs 3 gap.

PLEASE
UserPostedImage
matteogb4
12 years ago
it never hurts having one more scheme...if it doesn't work we can come back to the other....and more confusion for the other teams
blank
Rockmolder
12 years ago

SO EXPERTS-
Give me a refresher on 3 technique vs 5 technique vs 1 gap vs 3 gap.

PLEASE

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Technique has to do with where the player lines up. A 0-technique, for instance, is lined up nose to nose with the center of the opposing team. You just move out from there, the higher the number goes. 1-technique mans the A-gap, 2-technique lines up against the guard, 3-technique lines up at the outside shoulder of the guard (B-gap) etc.

1 or 2 gap generally refers to how many gaps the D-lineman is supposed to be playing. Between the center and guards you have the A gaps, between the guards and tackles the B gaps and, potentially, between the tackle and TE the C gaps.

For instance, a NT in a 3-4 is often lined up at the 0-technique, playing 2 gap (both A gaps). Let's say, a Ryan Pickett or BJ Raji in our 3-4.

In our 4-3, we had Pickett playing 1-technique, (with, which I asume) a 1 gap assignment and Corey Williams at 3-technique, assigned to a B-gap.

I'm not sure if it's always that rigid, but that's by my understanding. Hope it actually clears something up, because that text got a little more cluttered than I though. 😛
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.