wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Donald Driver Set to Break Prestigious Green Bay Packers Record 

Donald Driver comes into the season 42 yards shy of becoming the Green Bay Packers' all-time leading receiver. He has currently compiled 9,615 yards throughout his 12 seasons with the team. The current record is held by James Lofton, who ended his career with 9,656 yards.

Looking at where he is now, it's hard to imagine the struggle that Driver went through. He grew up homeless, spending time living in homeless shelters, U-Haul trucks and cars.

A life of crime had all but taken Driver's future away. He was stealing cars to provide money so he could sell drugs. But Driver prevailed. He moved in with his grandmother, turned his life around and started playing football.

He excelled on the field at Acorn State and was drafted by the Packers in the seventh round of the 1999 NFL Draft. But once again, Driver's future was all but taken from him as the Packers were appeared set at the wide receiver position. All signs were to him getting cut before the season started. But he prevailed once again.

He made the team and hasn't looked back since. He fought his way onto the field and became one of Brett Favre's favorite targets. By 2002, Driver had earned a starting spot and had a breakout year going over the 1,000 yard mark.

Throughout his career, Driver has captured the hearts of Packers' fans by his work ethic and his million-dollar smile. His never-die attitude is contagious, and his willingness to share his story is embraced by all Packers' fans.

Driver has always been very active in his community back in Houston and the Green Bay community that has embraced him with open arms. He started the Donald Driver Foundation to combat homelessness through education. "The Donald Driver Foundation understands that by accepting the challenge of homeless families and lack of education, we take steps in minimizing this crisis." This mission statement expresses his desire to help those in situations similar to his.

Last season, Greg Jennings was very vocal down the stretch about the other receivers coming together and winning the Super Bowl for Driver. In the game that probably meant more to anybody on the team, besides maybe Charles Woodson, Driver suffered an ankle injury and couldn't play past the second quarter.

This season, Driver will pass James Lofton and become the Packers' all-time leading receiver. This is no small feat, and it didn't come easily for Driver. When you add in the adversity that the he's faced, the record becomes that much more impressive.

When the moment comes, Driver will bust out his famous smile. He will be celebrated for a moment and the ball will be saved, but all Driver will want is to get back to work. Back to proving people wrong. This time, the critics are saying he's aging and will lose his effectiveness. We should know by now, you never count out Donald Driver.

Bleacher Report wrote:

I am a little torn over Donald breaking the record. DD is a class act. I have nothing but respect for him as a player and a person. That said he did take a few years more to set the record and he did so in an age that is decidedly more pass orientated.
UserPostedImage
olds70supreme
12 years ago
True, but keep in mind that almost no records are broken under the same circumstances as the originals were set. I don't look at it as how DD is better than Lofton. Instead I simply look at it as how good DD is. Also keep in mind that down the road someone will break DD's record as well.
blank
dingus
12 years ago
I for one am ecstatic that the Packers first 10,000 yd receiver won't have a cloud hanging over his name as Mr. Lofton did with the Top Shelf incident.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

True, but keep in mind that almost no records are broken under the same circumstances as the originals were set. I don't look at it as how DD is better than Lofton. Instead I simply look at it as how good DD is. Also keep in mind that down the road someone will break DD's record as well.

Originally Posted by: olds70supreme 

Agreed. I said a little torn. In a utopic world it would have been nice if he broke the record in fewer years, fewer games and fewer receptions. Oh well.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
12 years ago
Don Hutson is our greatest receiver, Sterling Sharpe was the most talented, and Driver is the hardest working. We have been blessed.

As for Lofton, it was the times he lived in. Nowadays getting a hummer in a night club isn't career ending. Hell, he's a choir boy compared to Roethlisberger.

If I could only move past the Chmura thing.
UserPostedImage
Since69
12 years ago
Regardless of how long it took, he deserves it.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago
The amount of respect on the field that Lofton garnered was impressive.. in a day where the rules were more balanced between the offense and defense.

In Hutson's day.. the rules were tilted towards the defense in the passing game.. DB's were afforded a ton of contact.

This isn't taking anything away from Driver.. but the era in which he has played has benefited him.

That is not to say that Donald wouldn't not have excelled in different era's, he is a physical receiver and doesn't shy away from the middle of the field, it just that the league as tilted the advantage towards the passing game.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Don Hutson is our greatest receiver, Sterling Sharpe was the most talented, and Driver is the hardest working. We have been blessed.

As for Lofton, it was the times he lived in. Nowadays getting a hummer in a night club isn't career ending. Hell, he's a choir boy compared to Roethlisberger.

If I could only move past the Chmura thing.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

I'm not sure I'm able to say Javon Walker was as talented or more than Sterling Sharpe, but his talent is undeniable. It's too bad he got a shit agent to lead him into land of 'where are they now'.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

The amount of respect on the field that Lofton garnered was impressive.. in a day where the rules were more balanced between the offense and defense.

In Hutson's day.. the rules were tilted towards the defense in the passing game.. DB's were afforded a ton of contact.

This isn't taking anything away from Driver.. but the era in which he has played has benefited him.

That is not to say that Donald wouldn't not have excelled in different era's, he is a physical receiver and doesn't shy away from the middle of the field, it just that the league as tilted the advantage towards the passing game.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Don Hutson is/was my favorite WR/E of the Packers. I believe he also played defensive back too.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago
Let's not forget that Lofton had some of his good years not as a Packer. The Bills resurrected his career after he wasted two years on the Raiders.

So if anyone got the shaft, it's Hutson. He played in a league with less games and very little passing.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (9h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

10h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

18h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.