12 years ago
Anyword on Wilson's injury as of yet? Hope it's not too terrible definitely gonna need him in the rotation. Also being down in Florida has prevented me from hearing the latest on Mike Neal, what sort of injury happened exactly?
nerdmann
12 years ago

Thanks to everyone who watched the game and commented. Didn't see it.

Some questions:
1) How would you rate our OL for pass protection?
2) How would you rate our OL for run blocking?
3) Is Aaron locking in on Finley too much?

Thanks in advance.

These comments and some of the other comments about our OL bother me. Will our OL be ready by Sept 8? I still think our major flaw is our OL. I don't care how many SBs we win, I still reserve the Right to bitch about our OL until we start seeing entire games where Aaron walks away with a clean jersey.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

The OL seems shaky but serviceable. The shakiness revolves pretty much around Lang and Sherrod. Lang looks like he's fine, with just the issue of getting to the second level on run plays. Sherrod needs work, which may be why they are giving him some. They want flexibility on game days. It's annoying but that's their philosophy. The run game is gonna be awesome, especially if they get get Green going on screens. That dude is masterful off his blockers and has speed to take it the distance. Also showed power up the middle on the TD. Grant as usual was breaking into the open field, then cutting into his own blockers. He looks like he's back up to speed as far as the old Ryan Grant, but sometimes it seems like he's blindfolded out there.
Aaron wasn't locking in on Finley, but he did seem to force a couple throws to Jennings.
To answer some other questions, Neal fell and lightly sprained his knee on non-contact this week, so was held out as a precaution, CJ Wilson was held out do to a possible slight concussion. He'll likely be fine.
Once again, MD Jennings showed up in the backfield. Could be another Charlie Peprah out there. And of course the 97 yard play by Chastin West. He looked like Robert Brooks on that play. Remember that 99 yarder Brooks had against the Bears? Flynn hit him right in stride. It was one of those sure TDs that Jones misses. Over the shoulder catch.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
earthquake
12 years ago

Anyword on Wilson's injury as of yet? Hope it's not too terrible definitely gonna need him in the rotation. Also being down in Florida has prevented me from hearing the latest on Mike Neal, what sort of injury happened exactly?

Originally Posted by: FLORIDA PACKER88 

Wilson had a concussion, which should be 1-2 weeks standard procedure.

Neal could be 1-4 weeks from what I've read. However i think Mike McCarthy has been saying "day to day" so hopefully its not very serious.
blank
beast
12 years ago

IMO.. The offensive line looks like this to me at this point.
Tackle
Clifton, Bulaga, Sherrod, Newhouse (Played a nice game overall.. nice bounce back)
Dominguez (too talented IMO not to keep him)

Inside is the concern right now... I think we could drop one of the above inside if need be.
Guard
Lang, Sitton

Center
Wells
EDS as a G/C combo?

McDonald IMO has been disappointing so far..

Genus.. love his guys build for inside play.. short compact and stout.. could he make a run at a roster spot.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

you sure it was Dominguez? I didn't watch him so I don't know... but I've read he was getting beat like crazy in practice like no one else was getting beat... and all the media guys where saying he has to move to OG to have a shot at making it...

I remember last year when standing still Campbell looked like a heavy footed slow road graded but played like a soft (bad) dancing bear (good). He moved crazy well for a guy his size, but just didn't seem willing to be physical or mean though looked the part.

Also after hearing so many good things about Newhouse in early training camp I'm surprised they haven't tried him at OG. He's got the size of a OG.

So you'd keep EDS over McD? That's disappointing to hear... McD had/has potential...

also agree with you about Genus. I could help but think he's a lock for the PS after reading up on him some. But that was just a guess. I was thinking it's gonna be hard to make the roster with no mini camp for them.
UserPostedImage
beast
12 years ago

I think Lang has regressed during his time in Green Bay.. his footwork was better coming out of college than now.. a theme I have noted under Campen for a number of years. IMO.. Campen is the weak link of the coaching staff.. by a mile.

If we can see this, why can't the Packers' front office? I am not being sarcastic here. I really wonder why Campen seems to be such a blind spot for this organization. Do they attribute the flaws in the offensive line's performance more to sub-par talent than poor coaching?

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I think Mike McCarthy and the Packers front offense believe in build from with in and coach up. Including coach up their coaches, when they need to be... Mike McCarthy hasn't done a lot of firing other than when he finally choose to let more of D coach go... but I don't think that was easy for MM. I think he was having a huge problem with the logic behind the system on D. On O he's not having that problem because it's his system and his logic...

Also is it just Campen? Isn't Offensive Coordinator Joe Philbin a former OL coach and in charge of the running plays and suppose to be working very closely with Campen and the OL?

As for players regressing during their time in GB... I was saying the same thing about LB coach Winston Moss players until Bishop busted out. But Hawk and Chillar regressed during their times with the Packers compared to their time before the Packers. I think Barnett stayed about the same, just his weak areas showed up a lot more when they switched to the 3-4. And he had a couple of players with good potential that seemed to not improve any or got worse. Until Bishop broke out.
UserPostedImage
IronMan
12 years ago

Campen is the weak link of the coaching staff.. by a mile.

Slocum.
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Slocum.

Originally Posted by: IronMan 

then try
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago

The OL seems shaky but serviceable. The shakiness revolves pretty much around Lang and Sherrod. Lang looks like he's fine, with just the issue of getting to the second level on run plays. Sherrod needs work, which may be why they are giving him some. They want flexibility on game days. It's annoying but that's their philosophy. The run game is gonna be awesome, especially if they get get Green going on screens. That dude is masterful off his blockers and has speed to take it the distance. Also showed power up the middle on the TD. Grant as usual was breaking into the open field, then cutting into his own blockers. He looks like he's back up to speed as far as the old Ryan Grant, but sometimes it seems like he's blindfolded out there.
Aaron wasn't locking in on Finley, but he did seem to force a couple throws to Jennings.
To answer some other questions, Neal fell and lightly sprained his knee on non-contact this week, so was held out as a precaution, CJ Wilson was held out do to a possible slight concussion. He'll likely be fine.
Once again, MD Jennings showed up in the backfield. Could be another Charlie Peprah out there. And of course the 97 yard play by Chastin West. He looked like Robert Brooks on that play. Remember that 99 yarder Brooks had against the Bears? Flynn hit him right in stride. It was one of those sure TDs that Jones misses. Over the shoulder catch.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I really hope the bolded phrase proves out to be wrong, nerdmann. I have self-imposed a moratorium on criticism in this regard until after the first regular season game, but if the first "game that counts" shows the OL to be in for another year of "serviceable", I'm going to get seriously cranky again. Serviceable should not be sufficient for a team seeking to repeat.

(Aside to zombieslayer: I'm not saying that the Super Bowl entitles the Packer brain trust to be immune from criticism re the OL; only that I'll give them the preseason to get their act together. Of course it helps that I haven't seen more than a couple series so far, so I have no basis for opining and gnashing of teeth anyway. Yet.)

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
beast
12 years ago

if the first "game that counts" shows the OL to be in for another year of "serviceable", I'm going to get seriously cranky again. Serviceable should not be sufficient for a team seeking to repeat.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

1) 🐴

2) Packers are the current top dogs and you're already seriously cranky

3) Look what "serviceable" got last year.....

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
It also got us a quarterback with two concussions in a single season. That is worrisome, no matter how the Super Bowl worked out in the end.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

11h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.