DarkaneRules
12 years ago
If you listen to the interviews from after the game, you can sense A LOT of confidence from Aaron Rodgers and Mike McCarthy. I think these guys have just discovered something that could potentially make this offense THE best in football. The question to you all is this:

Should the Packers be as confident as they sounded tonight, or do you think they may really be onto something here?
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
I really liked the no huddle. They control the tempo. Aaron Rodgers can read the field. They can sort of dictate the player package the defense has. They can get into a lot of coverage mismatches.
They should use it more than once a game or once a half.
UserPostedImage
peteralan71
12 years ago
Before long, maybe if we're lucky, people will shut up about how smart Peyton Manning is, and start to realize that Aaron Rodgers can do the same thing.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Before long, maybe if we're lucky, people will shut up about how smart Peyton Manning is, and start to realize that Aaron Rodgers can do the same thing.

Originally Posted by: peteralan71 

Aaron Rodgers doesn't fold in the Playoffs. There's a reason that a lot of us who are knowledgeable about football call Peyton Manning "Mr. Regular Season."

People always harp on Favre for folding in the Playoffs. Compare Favre's post-season record with Manning's. Hint - Favre's better.

As for the no huddle, yes, let's do it. At least once per game. It doesn't give the D any time to set up and turns opposing DCs into alcoholics. I like it.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
coltonja
12 years ago
First off, we already have the best offense in the NFL...J/k, but seriously.

Aaron Rodgers has total command of the offense. McCarthy has been his only coach in the NFL, his receivers have been with him since he was drafted, he is a very intelligent guy, and he has been in the same playbook for years.

On the other hand, I worry about the ability of A-Rodge to call runs in the no huddle, our offense is already pass heavy and it obviously works and worked last year. But we could have a good one-two punch with Grant and Starks. Also, it is difficult to change personnel. Although that is the idea for the D to have a nightmare over. So that could definitely be a positive as well.

I'm torn because our offense works so well already, but they have looked good in the no huddle. I'm just worried the quicker pace makes ARodge and others feel the need for more urgent, quick plays. But maybe that's just how I feel in Madden 🙂
UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
earthquake
12 years ago

Aaron Rodgers doesn't fold in the Playoffs. There's a reason that a lot of us who are knowledgeable about football call Peyton Manning "Mr. Regular Season."

People always harp on Favre for folding in the Playoffs. Compare Favre's post-season record with Manning's. Hint - Favre's better.

As for the no huddle, yes, let's do it. At least once per game. It doesn't give the D any time to set up and turns opposing DCs into alcoholics. I like it.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Peyton Manning is Dan Marino 2.0. He will go down as one of the best/most talented QB's of all time, but he's fairly likely to end his career with a worse than 0.500 playoff winning record as well. He was lucky to get to the SB in a year where the NFC was terrible, facing the "lucky bounce" bears led by Sexy Rex Grossman.

Curious stat, most playoff losses by QB:

Favre: 13 - 11 - 0.542
Manning: 9 - 10 - 0.474
Marino: 8 - 10 - 0.444

Manning is the only current QB that has a realistic shot at breaking Favre's record for playoff losses.

Now, as to the actual thread here. I've been thinking this as well, they seem to look freaking unstoppable whenever they go to that no huddle. I hope to see more of it, a lot of more it really as I think Rodgers is one of the few QB's in the league who could regularly operate that sort of offense. When you look at a GB base offense that consists of:

Jennings
Driver
Jones/Nelson
Finley
Grant/Starks(probabbly better in this role as he's more of a threat as a receiver)

You honestly just do not have to worry too much about sub packages, except for short running situations. You can do 3 wide, 4 wide with Finley, flank out the RB and do 5 wide. Run block with Finley/Jordy, drop Finley into the backfield for max protect, etc.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
As long as I don't have to endure Rodgers bobble-heading and gesticulating wildly behind the line of scrimmage, not to mention screaming at his receivers every time he fucks up and sulking on the bench every time a play doesn't go his way, I am really looking forward to seeing this new twist on the offense. If there is one quarterback in this league who can command an offense on his own, surely it is Aaron Rodgers. I have a feeling we won't be seeing too many called runs in the no-huddle offense, however. Rodgers almost never seems to call a run when he has the run/pass option. On the other hand, our backs can catch the ball, so we may see our backfield's receiving numbers go up.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Who are all of these other "knowledgeable" people? You're the only one I've ever heard call him that. The fact that you do it over and over and over doesn't make it any more credible.

earthquake's list of QB's with the most playoff losses doesn't do much more me either, because in order to lose a lot of playoff games you have to be in a lot of playoff games in the first place, so it's really not such a bad record to hold. The usual recipe is a really good QB who plays on a team with a lot of offensive talent but a defense that is not up to championship standards.
blank
earthquake
12 years ago

earthquake's list of QB's with the most playoff losses doesn't do much more me either, because in order to lose a lot of playoff games you have to be in a lot of playoff games in the first place, so it's really not such a bad record to hold. The usual recipe is a really good QB who plays on a team with a lot of offensive talent but a defense that is not up to championship standards.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

Right, you've got to be a pretty good QB to even play in that many playoff games, the point wasn't that these guys are bad QBs, but when you compare them to the greatest, they have the worst playoff winning percentage. Its worth noting that Joe freaking Montanta shows up tied for 5th place on that list, however his insane 16 wins and 0.696 winning % in the playoffs backs up the notion that he is one of, if not the most successful QB of all time(oh, and those 4 rings too).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_starting_quarterback_playoff_records 

QB's are judged by playoff records, it isn't enough to simply get there, you've gotta perform when you do. Guys like Peyton, Favre, and Marino are on the bottom of the list when it comes to Great QBs in the playoffs. Again, this doesn't mean they aren't great, they just aren't Montana, Brady, Starr type great. I dont buy into the "oh these guys didn't have good defense" or whatever arguments, the greats make it happen when it counts.

I also think it is wildly premature to say that Rodgers is great in the playoffs, he's only been there twice. Lets wait 5-10 years before we start crowning him the playoff king. That said, the guy certainly shows up and plays some of his best football in the playoffs, if that trend continues he very well could go down as one of the greats, and even be considered better than the guy he replaced. That would have been a crazy thought a few years ago, it really is good to be a packer fan. 😃
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
No-huddle a new wrinkle for Rodgers & Co. 

Trigger man Aaron Rodgers has been receptive to the no-huddle offense employed by head coach Mike McCarthy in the first two preseason games.

"It's something that we can use," Rodgers said after the Packers' 28-20 win over the Arizona Cardinals on Friday night. "It's been in the plan for a while."

Given the freedom to make the play calls, Rodgers has been impeccable in running two series of the no-huddle. He has completed all 10 of his passes for 131 yards and two touchdowns.

A week after completing a seven-play, 73-yard drive in four minutes with a 21-yard touchdown pass to Greg Jennings in the exhibition loss at Cleveland, Rodgers capped a seven-play, 78-yard excursion in 3 1/2 minutes with a 20-yard touchdown throw to Jennings late in the first half Friday.

Both scoring plays between Rodgers and Jennings were similar back-shoulder throws made at the front pylon of the end zone.

"That's definitely good offense beating good defense," McCarthy said after Friday's game. "You see that when the quarterback and the receiver are definitely on the same page. They've done it two weeks in a row. You're looking at two big-time throws and catches in back-to-back weeks."

McCarthy has resorted to the no-huddle for the final series in which Rodgers and most of the first-string offense have played in each of the two games after sluggish starts in both. Jennings' touchdown grab Friday put the Packers ahead 7-6 after three possessions by the offense.

"I just like the fact that it's a tempo series, and we can call plays quickly or we can try to figure out what they're trying to do on defense," said Rodgers, who went 9-of-12 for 97 yards and the touchdown Friday. "It keeps the defense kind of on their toes a little bit."

Rodgers acknowledged the no-huddle could become a change-of-pace fixture for the offense during the season, especially if things sputter out of a conventional set on occasion.

"It's really Mike's call and what he wants do with that," Rodgers said.

McCarthy likes the production from the up-tempo diversion.

"I think it's a reflection of the maturity of our offense, particularly Aaron Rodgers," he said. "Aaron does an excellent job handling the calls at the line of scrimmage. We're 2-for-2. I'm very pleased with the no-huddle so far."

--The latest no-huddle splash featured plenty of Jermichael Finley, the talented tight end who made his preseason debut Friday after missing the opener because of a glute injury.

"It was good to have him back. He is a difference maker for us," Rodgers said. "He is a tough matchup problem ... (and is) going to have a big role for us this season."

Finley, who hadn't played since sustaining a season-ending knee injury Oct. 10 last year, was targeted a co-team-high five times Friday and had four receptions for 33 yards.

Three of Finley's catches came in succession in the no-huddle drive. Rodgers checked down to him for short completions of six and seven yards, then connected with Finley for a 17-yard play to get the Packers inside the Cardinals' 30-yard line. The touchdown pass to Jennings came two plays later.

"That is big right there," Finley said of his involvement in the offense. "If your quarterback has confidence to throw you a ball and you get five yards and then throw it again down the field for 15, that's confidence in the player that you are.

"Oh, yeah, I'm back," Finley happily added. "It was nice to get back in sync with my team and get the ball thrown to me from 12 (Rodgers). It's awesome. I'm ready to go."

Besides Finley, two other Packers starters played for the first time in the preseason Friday: cornerbacks Charles Woodson and Sam Shields. Woodson, a 14th-year veteran, was rested in the game against Cleveland, while Shields was sidelined with a hip injury.

--Resolution could come in short order for naming an opening-day starter at left guard.

The battle between third-year T.J. Lang and top draft pick Derek Sherrod since the start of training camp has swung in Lang's favor. Lang made the start Friday, after Sherrod had the nod in the first preseason game.

The combatants alternated playing left guard in Green Bay's four first-half series against the Cardinals. Lang was steady, if not superior, but Sherrod hurt his cause by getting beat off the snap by defensive end Calais Campbell, who sacked Rodgers in Green Bay's second possession.

"He just made a good move and got by," said Sherrod, who was beaten to his outside shoulder.

Sherrod and Lang worked in tandem for three series in the second half, but Sherrod stayed put at his natural spot of left tackle instead of flip-flopping the positions as they had been doing most of the preseason. Sherrod didn't redeem himself, giving up a blind-side sack of Matt Flynn to blitzing linebacker O'Brien Schofield, who forced a fumble that the Packers recovered in the third quarter.

Before watching the game film Saturday, McCarthy said the feedback he received from his assistants during Friday's game was positive regarding Lang's performance.

--Rookie halfback Alex Green made up for a week of lost time in camp with an eye-opening preseason debut.

The third-round draft pick out of Hawaii replaced starter Ryan Grant as the featured back with Flynn at quarterback late in the second quarter. The powerful and elusive Green gained 25 yards on a screen pass from Flynn to the Arizona 2 and then barreled into the end zone behind fullback Quinn Johnson for a 2-yard touchdown two plays later.

"(He) jumped out at me on the screen," McCarthy said of Green, who was sidelined with a thigh injury. "It looks like he's moving well from his quad strain. I thought he made a good first impression."

If he can stay healthy, Green is the front-runner to return kickoffs at the start of the season and also could be the team's third-down back. Coach Mike McCarthy said the 6-foot, 225-pound Green, who played in a spread offense at Hawaii, has "seamlessly" handled the third-down responsibilities, although Green did err on a blitz pickup in the second half Friday.

The only other knock on Green on an otherwise auspicious first night of action was he needed Lang to tell him to do a Lambeau Leap into the stands after the rookie stood in the end zone for five seconds following his touchdown plunge.

"I thought about it before the game, but then once I got in, I kind of froze up a little bit and got a little nervous and I didn't know what to do," Green said.

--Chastin West spent the entire 2010 season on Green Bay's practice squad. The first-year receiver is making a serious bid to finally graduate to the 53-man roster this summer.

A 97-yard touchdown catch on a throw from Matt Flynn for the game-winner Friday should bolster his prospects of sticking with the team.

"I'm proud of Chastin," Aaron Rodgers said. "I think everybody (on the team) saw towards the end of last year what kind of player he was becoming. He makes a strong case to be on this team. He's been making it since last year. I'm very happy for him.

"It's nice when you've got a guy like him making those big-time plays. He ran away from that guy."

The big scoring play, which put the Packers ahead 21-20, came at the start of the fourth quarter with Green Bay backed up at its 3 following a punt and a holding penalty.

The 6-1, 216-pound West sprinted past rookie cornerback Desia Dunn, incidentally a former teammate at Fresno State, on a go route down the right side and caught Flynn's throw in stride at the Packers' 29. West outran Dunn by a few yards the rest of the way.

"I told (Dunn) after the game, 'Sorry I had to run away from you,'" West said. "I've never had a chance to run out in the open field like that before. So, I told him my speed kicks in after the 40-yard dash."

West led the Packers on Friday with five catches for 134 yards. He has a team-high six receptions in the preseason and seemingly has the edge on third-year incumbent Brett Swain, who has missed both games because of a hamstring injury, should Green Bay keep six receivers on the roster.

"I think Chastin's having a good camp," McCarthy said. "He was in the league last year, so I wouldn't have any reason to think he wouldn't be in this year. That'll definitely help him."

--The quarterback trio of Rodgers, Flynn and Graham Harrell compiled a stellar passer rating of 152.9 on Friday. They were a combined 21-of-27 passing for 319 yards and three touchdowns.

Flynn, who relieved Rodgers in the second quarter, posted a perfect rating of 158.3. He was 5-of-6 for 141 yards and the touchdown before giving way to Harrell in the final quarter.

Harrell, a developing player, bounced back from a rough preseason opener in which he was sacked three times and fumbled three times (one lost) by producing a passer rating of 141.2. He went 7-of-9 for 81 yards, didn't absorb a sack and completed the scoring with a 6-yard touchdown pass to undrafted rookie Kerry Taylor with five minutes left.

QUOTE TO NOTE
"In Pop Warner, I had a 99-yarder, but that wasn't as exciting. That might have been in front of six people. They had a gated fence (at that field), so I might have gotten some lacerations if I would've done the Lambeau Leap there." - Wide receiver Chastin West, who had a 97-yard touchdown catch in the 28-20 preseason win over Arizona on Aug. 19.

CBS Sportsline wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.