Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I had hoped they would show Swain the door. He hasn't shown much other than special teams the past two years, and it's not like our special teams have been stellar. This move will open the door for players like Chastin West to make the roster. Actually, I am kind of hoping that West will bump Driver, who already has at least a couple of drops this preseason.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

The last portion has me wondering ... has any Packers WR caught every pass that has hit their hands this preseason?
UserPostedImage
evad04
12 years ago
Driver shouldn't be dropping passes. For what it's worth, he's also had some nice first down catches. Nevertheless, the thought that West would make a greater impact than Driver makes me scratch my head until it bleeds. I'm starting to think some of the posts are part of a larger conspiratorial network dedicated to making my head bleed.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Driver shouldn't be dropping passes. For what it's worth, he's also had some nice first down catches. Nevertheless, the thought that West would make a greater impact than Driver makes me scratch my head until it bleeds. I'm starting to think some of the posts are part of a larger conspiratorial network dedicated to making my head bleed.

Originally Posted by: evad04 

I've said it several times, regardless of the level, if a ball hits you in the hands, you need to catch it, period. The best way to have the pain subside from a big ass hit, is the look on the persons face who hit you when they see you still have the ball in your hands. I loved that look.

As for Donald Driver dropping passes, yes, as just mentioned it's unacceptable, but I think choosing one player who drops passes for another is jumping the gun. This coming from a guy who wouldn't mind seeing Donald Drive cut this year.

One thing I noticed during the few games in preseason, Donald Driver is the only WR that appears fearless going over the middle. I didn't get to see the first game entirely.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

Nevertheless, the thought that West would make a greater impact than Driver makes me scratch my head until it bleeds.

Originally Posted by: evad04 

Why? To me it is an awesome thought that such an unheralded player could make such a big contribution in only his first regular season on the roster.

The advantage Driver brings to the table that I think is exceedingly rare is his willingness to go over the middle and make those terrifying catches in heavy traffic, even when he knows he is going to get crunched from two directions at once. He also has the ability to fight for that extra yard or two without losing the ball, which not even some of the elite running backs and receivers in this game seem to be able to do consistently.

I don't understand the nostalgia for the status quo. I am always rooting for new guys to overtake the older ones, because that means the team is getting better, and more importantly, that the potential for success is being perpetuated. Teams that rely on contributions from longterm players edging past their prime end up stagnant and decrepit.
UserPostedImage
evad04
12 years ago

Why? To me it is an awesome thought that such an unheralded player could make such a big contribution in only his first regular season on the roster.

The advantage Driver brings to the table that I think is exceedingly rare is his willingness to go over the middle and make those terrifying catches in heavy traffic, even when he knows he is going to get crunched from two directions at once. He also has the ability to fight for that extra yard or two without losing the ball, which not even some of the elite running backs and receivers in this game seem to be able to do consistently.

I don't understand the nostalgia for the status quo. I am always rooting for new guys to overtake the older ones, because that means the team is getting better, and more importantly, that the potential for success is being perpetuated. Teams that rely on contributions from longterm players edging past their prime end up stagnant and decrepit.

I'm getting a little tired of how carelessly "nostalgia" is being thrown around on these boards. I don't think I'm being nostalgic at all. Driver knows this offense as well as any player on the team because he's played through its evolution. I believe he can still play at a high level.

Green Bay will once again churn out one of the youngest rosters in the league. This is a franchise that does an incredible job of building through the draft. You already know all that, so why any trepidation about becoming stagnant? When you have a roster where you can just about count the 30 year-old+ guys on one hand (Woodson, Clifton, Driver, Pickett, maybe Wells -- not sure how old he is) there is little danger that we're on our way to the All Geriatric Nostalgia Squad. Did I miss anybody over 30? There might be a few more guys, but I think my point is still clear.

Now, if West wins a spot on the roster by beating out a guy like Driver, then so be it. I'm also for whatever is best for the team (and that includes, for instance, someone like Starks supplanting Grant as the starting RB if it's merited). But "hoping" Driver gets beat out to make room for a young guy seems antithetical to winning. I'm not hoping for a young team; I'm hoping for a great team. When Driver starts to truly show his age, I'll be on board for his departure. It will make me a bit sad when he goes -- nostalgic even. I felt the same way when Harris was let go. I felt the same way when Barnett was released. But at the end of the day I didn't lose any sleep, because I'm excited about guys like Shields and Bishop.

I'll argue anyone that Driver's "breaking down" from last year (as nerdbutt put it) had everything to do with a nagging quadriceps injury and not a decline in ability. We all remember that TD against the Niners. If DD is healthy this year, he'll be a nice contributor. A lot is made about his position on the depth chart, but methinks it a rather shallow analysis (for those that argue about his #2 status) because Green Bay's offense is so multiple that guys like Jordy Nelson can get you 10 catches for a billion yards in the Super Bowl.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

Have you seen any indication that Uncle Teddy falls into this category? Even remotely? His teams are consistently one of the two youngest teams in the league.
that said, why not have 53 first year players? Because as you well know you gotta have some veterans around to help teach the kid a few of the tricks to the game.
Starks said he learned a lot of the vets like Woody and Williams last year.
DD brings so much to the team. he still has something left in his tank. Let him play Uncle Ted most likely plans to. I think he is a fairly good judge of talent and abilities.
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
12 years ago

It isn't just nostalgia that leads people to believe Driver may contribute more to the team than Chastin West. If Driver is the 6th or 7th best WR on the team then fine cut him but I don't think that is anywhere near the case.
blank
IronMan
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (3h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (9h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (11h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (11h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (13h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (13h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (13h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (14h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (14h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
22m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.