wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
Clifton will do fine once the season begins.

In the week after the Green Bay Packers pulled Chad Clifton from their Week 4 game last year against Buffalo, coach Mike McCarthy was steadfast in public comments that Clifton’s chronically sore right knee would be fine and the left tackle would be back in the lineup the next week.

In an NFL where injury information is famously unreliable, McCarthy’s surety proved true.

Now with Clifton coming off a bad preseason performance Friday night against Indianapolis in which he gave up two sacks and had a holding penalty in one half of play, McCarthy was similarly adamant that the NFL’s oldest starting left tackle at age 35 is not finally hitting the proverbial wall and will be the Packers’ starter this year.

“I have all the confidence in the world in Chad Clifton,” McCarthy said Sunday after the first practice of the week. “Chad Clifton has played at a Pro Bowl level in my time here, and I expect him to play at that level this year. I don’t know what else to tell you. He had a handful of plays (last week) I’m sure he wished he had back.”

Going back to the early 2000s, the Packers have been working an increasingly difficult balancing act with Clifton’s arthritic knees. They need to ensure he gets adequate rest and rehabilitation to keep his knees feeling good, but they have to practice him enough that his play on game day is sharp.

This year in training camp they’ve gone to their greatest lengths in limiting Clifton’s work in 11-on-11 drills. Even with only one practice a day, there have been days when Clifton has taken no snaps in 11-on-11, and in practices he takes part, it’s usually only for a snap or two, whereas quarterback Aaron Rodgers and the rest of the starting offensive line take four or five straight plays.

packernews.com wrote:

more online 

UserPostedImage
millertime
12 years ago
Watching Clifton struggle against Freeney reminded me of when Plaxico tore up Al Harris in the playoffs a couple years ago. Repeated domination seemingly ignored by the coaching staff. I don't care if Clifton has made 100 of pro bowls, he was getting taken to the wood shed in that game. We should have added a TE on that side or extra RB for pass pro.

#1 goal in preseason is no injuries (especially to Rodgers). Hopefully Chad tightens it up in the regular season b/c I odn't think Sherrod is anywhere close to being ready to start.
earthquake
12 years ago
I think they were trying to stress 1 on 1 situations, in a real game he would have gotten some help.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago

I think they were trying to stress 1 on 1 situations, in a real game he would have gotten some help.

Originally Posted by: earthquake 

Clifton of old wouldn't have needed help.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
and I'm expecting to shit a brick of gold. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Not that this is a revelation, but after seeing his performance thus far in the preseason, teams are going to be targeting the hell out of Clifton this year.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Not that this is a revelation, but after seeing his performance thus far in the preseason, teams are going to be targeting the hell out of Clifton this year.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I don't think teams put that much stock in preseason games because a lot of teams do things that they wouldn't do normally in a game. Example, if it was a game and Chad Clifton getting beat was causing the Packers to lose, they'd start chipping his guy. I don't think that happened.

Regardless of the preseason, I think teams should attack the LT no matter what when you're facing a right handed QB. You want to make the QB scared, rattle his cage and the best way to do that is hit him when he's not expecting it. Thus, you attack the LT position whether you have Anthony Munoz in his prime or a aging declining Chad Clifton.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago
Where has Clifton struggled over the last couple of years..

On turf, against speed rushers that have a wide range of pass rush moves. Freeney has both is spades.. on we played him on "his" preferred surface.

It did not surprise me in the least that Clifton had his issues with Dwight.. not at all.

I guarantee that if this was anything more than a preseason game.. the protection packages would have set more help on that side. On one of the sacks.. Starks missed a chip before leaking out into the flat. Tough task to ask of a second year back.. but I think that was the point.. the staff wanted to see how he did.

There is little doubt in my mind that, if he can stay healthy, we will see a repeat year from Clifton this coming season.

Just as there was little doubt that Clifton may struggle with speed on turf.. speed with additional moves to be more correct.

So fret little.. Chad will be just fine on that blind corner.

BTW.. this is a recurring conversation after turf games with a dynamic pass rusher with speed. We will have it again at some point.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
12 years ago

Where has Clifton struggled over the last couple of years..

On turf, against speed rushers that have a wide range of pass rush moves. Freeney has both is spades.. on we played him on "his" preferred surface.

It did not surprise me in the least that Clifton had his issues with Dwight.. not at all.

I guarantee that if this was anything more than a preseason game.. the protection packages would have set more help on that side. On one of the sacks.. Starks missed a chip before leaking out into the flat. Tough task to ask of a second year back.. but I think that was the point.. the staff wanted to see how he did.

There is little doubt in my mind that, if he can stay healthy, we will see a repeat year from Clifton this coming season.

Just as there was little doubt that Clifton may struggle with speed on turf.. speed with additional moves to be more correct.

So fret little.. Chad will be just fine on that blind corner.

BTW.. this is a recurring conversation after turf games with a dynamic pass rusher with speed. We will have it again at some point.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

besides keeping an extra blocker in to help out, they roll Aaron Rodgers to the right to keep him away from the bad guy.
UserPostedImage
Tezzy
12 years ago
I was trashing hard on Clifton at beginning of last season thinking he was done and couldn't perform anymore. I ate my crow on that, and was the most delicious crow ever. Until I see him struggling during the regular season I am going to keep my mouth shut on him and how he may or not play. Crow is good in certain situations, but not a habit I want to continue.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.