nerdmann
12 years ago

Alright, Matlock, so let me get this straight: were Thompson to even consider cutting DD, at the forefront of weighing the roster spot is his balancing of whether keeping DD will be seen as going out of his way to respect a veteran? And this all comes from your serial crusher... I mean, your Favre loyalty theory?

UserPostedImage

Originally Posted by: evad04 

Not really, I layed out my theories of why DD's spot could be in jeopardy way before that issue came up. But it's just one of the things which imo weights in DD's favor, at least to some degree.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Chutzpah515
12 years ago
Had Driver and Grant stayed healthy throughout last season, he would have had over 1,000 yards receiving... again. IMO Driver is still easily the third best option on the field. Had he already been surpassed by Nelson and Droppy McFumbles, would this be a realistic option. Without much of an off season, it would difficult to know what they have in West whereas DD has 12 years of proven production. Fifth WRs are a dime a dozen. How often was Swain on the field last year? Twice?
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago

Had Driver and Grant stayed healthy throughout last season, he would have had over 1,000 yards receiving... again. IMO Driver is still easily the third best option on the field. Had he already been surpassed by Nelson and Droppy McFumbles, would this be a realistic option. Without much of an off season, it would difficult to know what they have in West whereas DD has 12 years of proven production. Fifth WRs are a dime a dozen. How often was Swain on the field last year? Twice?

Originally Posted by: Chutzpah515 

According to the postgame show, he had 6 receptions, which I believe includes the playoffs. So really, it's not that big of a deal once you get down to it. But the fact is that DD DID have those injuries last year. And he also have 12 years of wear and tear. How many more does he have in the tank? Is it better to get rid of guys a year too soon or a year too late?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

But in cutting Driver, the team would face another PR story, this one much more like Favre than Harris of last season.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Which is another way of saying that Packers fans are just as much idiots as everyone else. The PR ramifications of keeping or cutting any player, no matter how popular, should have no role whatsoever in determining whether or not he stays on the roster this season. The PR problems are just fodder for the gossip columnists that pose as sports commentators these days anyway. On the other hand, the other points you brought up are far more salient and are, as far as I am concerned, the only ones that should factor into the final decision. Fans and sports writers have proven time and time again that they are clueless when it comes to the important decisions required to run a club. Had Ted Thompson listened to popular sentiment over the past few years, there is no way the Packers would have won the Super Bowl last year. Can you imagine what might have happened had he kept Brett Favre's rebellious spirit or Aaron Kampman and Al Harris' surgically repaired knees on the squad? It could have been disastrous.

As I have said so many times before, if -- and only if -- Donald Driver is the best man for the job, by all means keep him. There is no one in the league I love to watch go over the middle and fight for that last agonizing yard than he. If, however, some young buck could do the job as well or better than he could, axe him. The fans be damned. If he is that important as a PR ambassador, bring him on as wide receivers coach. He couldn't do worse than James Campen has done.

All of which is another way of saying: "Trust the front office that got you to the Super Bowl last year." 😣
UserPostedImage
12 years ago

This damn website raises my blood pressure to unhealthy levels. Your assessment notwithstanding, Louder at Lambeau, Driver can still play. I appreciate your completely overblown mention of his preseason performance against the Colts, as I do your personal opinion that Jennings, Jones, Nelson, & Cobb are better options at receiver. Can Cobb play every position at receiver like Driver, Jones, Jennings, and Nelson? Oh, I guess it doesn't matter, because Cobb is so damn exciting and this is such a damn exciting time.

Which leads me to Gurley. I wanna say thank you to those that have pointed out his height and 40-times. Anyone wanna take a time machine back to the day and grab workout warrior Mike Mamula? Perhaps instead we should go back to the '09 draft and trade up from the 9th pick (B.J. Raji) to swipe Darrius Heyward-Bey before the Raiders have a chance. Seems like a good strategy, knowing as we all do that the Raiders' draft strategy for the the last decade of the senile-Al Davis years have lead to a team stocked with arm strength, size, speed, and athleticism and perpetual five win seasons.

I happen to like Gurley. I happen to think he has some potential, and his wingspan is a fun little stat to the throw out. But can he make a difference in our offense like Driver can? Do you actually think he can? And if the answer is yes, are you willing to give up a player whose value to the franchise is well known? You may cite a decrease in production for Driver over the years, but do you ignore that we've added options and that now he's in the deepest offense he's been a part of since joining Green Bay? Yeah, Driver was a 1,200 receiver back in the day that the 4-6th options were guys like Bill Schroeder and Wesley Walls. When you add Jennings, Jones, Nelson and co. into the picture, and throw in a nagging quad injury, it's not shocking to see a dip in production.

This whole discussion is silly. Oh, you're offended? Well I don't give a flying diarrhea shit. It's silly.

Who's offended? You're acting more like I raped your mom than that I advocated one WR over another. Simmer the fuck down there, you'll wet yourself.[duh]

Were you like this about Faver, Harris, Kampy, etc, too? Do you feel like a good cry? There, there. It'll be OK. Players get old. Driver will be out of football at some point, just like every other player ever to put on a uniform and every one to come, and we'll all go on with our lives. Most of us, anyway.
Pack93z
12 years ago

Which is another way of saying that Packers fans are just as much idiots as everyone else. The PR ramifications of keeping or cutting any player, no matter how popular, should have no role whatsoever in determining whether or not he stays on the roster this season. The PR problems are just fodder for the gossip columnists that pose as sports commentators these days anyway. On the other hand, the other points you brought up are far more salient and are, as far as I am concerned, the only ones that should factor into the final decision. Fans and sports writers have proven time and time again that they are clueless when it comes to the important decisions required to run a club. Had Ted Thompson listened to popular sentiment over the past few years, there is no way the Packers would have won the Super Bowl last year. Can you imagine what might have happened had he kept Brett Favre's rebellious spirit or Aaron Kampman and Al Harris' surgically repaired knees on the squad? It could have been disastrous.

As I have said so many times before, if -- and only if -- Donald Driver is the best man for the job, by all means keep him. There is no one in the league I love to watch go over the middle and fight for that last agonizing yard than he. If, however, some young buck could do the job as well or better than he could, axe him. The fans be damned. If he is that important as a PR ambassador, bring him on as wide receivers coach. He couldn't do worse than James Campen has done.

All of which is another way of saying: "Trust the front office that got you to the Super Bowl last year." ](*,)

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Ah... isn't that what the rest of the post stated.. and even in the same paragraph I noted it was a minor consideration? Like it or not.. all other things being even this has to be a consideration at the moment. If he was outplayed.. I agree... you move on. No illusions. For the record.. the PR is more internally than externally.. pressure inside the locker room.

LOL.. The points right in front have basically outlined that neither of the other receivers outplayed Driver in the preseason.

But I enjoyed your rant just the same. :)

There I didn't even Get Loud or go all Evad upon the topic. [grin1]
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
evad04
12 years ago

Who's offended? You're acting more like I raped your mom than that I advocated one WR over another. Simmer the fuck down there, you'll wet yourself.[duh]

Were you like this about Faver, Harris, Kampy, etc, too? Do you feel like a good cry? There, there. It'll be OK. Players get old. Driver will be out of football at some point, just like every other player ever to put on a uniform and every one to come, and we'll all go on with our lives. Most of us, anyway.

Originally Posted by: get_louder_at_lambeau 

Speaking of moms -- do you kiss your mother with that mouth? Who says I'm crying? Nice little ad hominem post there. I get pissy and fired up sometimes, but I fail to understand how I crossed any line there.

To answer your condescending question, no I wasn't like this about Favre, Harris, or Kampman too. Because I'm not a moron I know how the compared scenarios are different: those guys WERE let go. Driver isn't getting let go, and the speculation is entirely manufactured. I can give that media rant later, but I doubt you are interested.

In the meantime, if you're interested, I'd like to take a moment to review the several ways in which you're a douchebag. Ciao, baby.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
12 years ago

Speaking of moms -- do you kiss your mother with that mouth? Who says I'm crying? Nice little ad hominem post there. I get pissy and fired up sometimes, but I fail to understand how I crossed any line there.

To answer your condescending question, no I wasn't like this about Favre, Harris, or Kampman too. Because I'm not a moron I know how the compared scenarios are different: those guys WERE let go. Driver isn't getting let go, and the speculation is entirely manufactured. I can give that media rant later, but I doubt you are interested.

In the meantime, if you're interested, I'd like to take a moment to review the several ways in which you're a douchebag. Ciao, baby.

You wanna review something? Review my original post and your response. Then get back to me on who was being the douchebag between the two of us. You were the one who got all hot and bothered. I was just giving a dissenting opinion on who I like for the WR position. The douchebaggery was initiated by you. Don't believe me? Check the record, doucheypoops. Kisses!
RaiderPride
12 years ago
Wow!

I read every single comment in this thread.

Here are my thoughts... Donald is not the type of Packer that will ever be let go, or cut.

It will not happen. Never! Donald is such a class act he will simply step down on his own. He will never be CUT. He will retire. He will end it as a Packer. There will be no cut.

There will be no "One more year with another team" to prove he can still play the game. Donald has played the game, and played it as a Packer. He always will be a Packer. He played this game well enough to go to Canton. He will do it with class, and with respect for the people of Green Bay.

Donald Driver is all class. So are the Packers organization.

Donald will be "A God" in Green Bay for the rest of his life.

Unlike the feller who threw so many of the passes he caught.

""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
mi_keys
12 years ago

You were the one who got all hot and bothered.

Originally Posted by: get_louder_at_lambeau 

I reread Evad's post and aside from mentioning the name Jennings (I'd go gay for him) I couldn't find any reference to being horny.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.