wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago

I wasn’t expecting the Packers to cut third-string quarterback Graham Harrell today, but upon reflection, it shouldn’t come as a huge surprise. Here’s why:

Had the Packers retained Harrell on their 53-man roster, they had no plans to activate him on game days.

The NFL has eliminated the emergency third-string quarterback rule and in its place increased the game-day active list from 45 to 46 players. Teams can use that extra spot any way they choose. Coach Mike McCarthy indicated recently that the Packers didn’t plan to use the 46th spot for a quarterback.

more online 
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago
Personally I am a bit surprised.. he has two years in the system and with Flynn possibly moving on, those two (three with this season) of experience in the system would have provided a level of comfort overall.

Granted he may wind up on a practice squad, it is somewhat of a risk to release him.

Numbers game I know.. but I would have thought a market for Flynn would have developed and the Packers could have moved forward for a couple more reasonable contract years with Harrell.

Not the biggest of deals.. but I thought through the preseason that Flynn and Harrell were interchangeable more so than not based on talent surrounding them.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
12 years ago
I was certain they would keep him. It is a bit of a gamble to try and put him on the PS. They don't have to pay him the PS minimum. So if they give him a decent 1 year contract that would hold a few teams at bay. They may not pay him as much as he would make on another teams 53. The up side is if he is able to look down the road to next year he would see that he would be sitting pretty good for the #2 QB spot.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
12 years ago
I think Harrell will be safe on PS, IMHO he didn't show enough on the field for anyone to come after him. Ted always has the option to put him on the 53 man roster if someone does make an offer.

Trying to get into Harrells mind, unless another team is offering him a starting job(which is very unlikely), why leave The Packers? I am betting Ted and Mike have already let him know what their plans are.
With Flynns future uncertain, Harrell, I would think, should stay with The Packers.

Just a note: I still think Matt Flynn will be signed to a 2 or 3 year contract extension sometime this year, I just don't think he has showed enough in pre-season for another team to offer him starting qb money next year.
Same goes for Matt, if Ted makes him a decent offer, why go to another team where you would have to learn a new system?

Matt Flynn is a solid back-up, he is not a franchis qb.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side, if i were matt Flynn I would stay with a proven winner.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
12 years ago

I think Harrell will be safe on PS, IMHO he didn't show enough on the field for anyone to come after him. Ted always has the option to put him on the 53 man roster if someone does make an offer.

Trying to get into Harrells mind, unless another team is offering him a starting job(which is very unlikely), why leave The Packers? I am betting Ted and Mike have already let him know what their plans are.
With Flynns future uncertain, Harrell, I would think, should stay with The Packers.

Just a note: I still think Matt Flynn will be signed to a 2 or 3 year contract extension sometime this year, I just don't think he has showed enough in pre-season for another team to offer him starting qb money next year.
Same goes for Matt, if Ted makes him a decent offer, why go to another team where you would have to learn a new system?

Matt Flynn is a solid back-up, he is not a franchis qb.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side, if i were matt Flynn I would stay with a proven winner.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

As far as Harrell, if he's on the PS and any team offers him a roster spot, he'd be dumb not to take it. They don't make much money on the PS and are basically undrafted free agents. Gotta jump on any roster spot available if you're in that position. Harrell hasn't made any real money yet in his football career, so he needs to take what's offered, and he'd be one step closer to playing by being on a roster.

Flynn wants to be a starter. I do think he could at least find a situation next year where he can compete with a weak starter somewhere like Buffalo. If you ran a team with a crappy starter, wouldn't you want to bring in a young guy like Flynn? If so, he should be able to get near starter money, if not full out starter money. There just aren't enough good QBs out there, so someone will pay him just to get a guy who MIGHT be a solid starter, even if he isn't proven.
buckeyepackfan
12 years ago

As far as Harrell, if he's on the PS and any team offers him a roster spot, he'd be dumb not to take it. They don't make much money on the PS and are basically undrafted free agents. Gotta jump on any roster spot available if you're in that position. Harrell hasn't made any real money yet in his football career, so he needs to take what's offered, and he'd be one step closer to playing by being on a roster.

Flynn wants to be a starter. I do think he could at least find a situation next year where he can compete with a weak starter somewhere like Buffalo. If you ran a team with a crappy starter, wouldn't you want to bring in a young guy like Flynn? If so, he should be able to get near starter money, if not full out starter money. There just aren't enough good QBs out there, so someone will pay him just to get a guy who MIGHT be a solid starter, even if he isn't proven.

Originally Posted by: get_louder_at_lambeau 

Ted has the option to pay Harrel more than the minimum if he so chooses, we will just have to wait and see what happens. JMO that Harrell will be better off staying with The Packers if he has a choice.

Matt Flynn in The Packers system, pretty good back-up, Matt Flynn in another system...who knows?
I'm gonna stick by my comment that Ted will sign him to a 2 or 3 year contract by years end.

I will say if some team offered Flynn Cobb money next year then yea it is time to go, but just don't think it will happen.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Pack93z
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

If your Flynn, why sign an extension here if you have any desire to play or even start?

Rodgers isn't going anywhere soon and if Flynn re-ups his deal this year he will do so with no idea what the free agent market would bring for him.

And if he doesn't want to play and is content sitting as a backup, personally I would be disappointed in his competitiveness. Here is basically has no chance to unseat Rodgers.. elsewhere, IMO, he would be challenging for playing time.

This is the premise upon which I believe Flynn won't be back.. some other team is going to offer more than the Packers are willing or need (with Harrell) to pay a backup. If Jackson can get the kind of money he did from Seattle.. there is no way Flynn is going to get less.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
beast
12 years ago
I keep hearing about Flynn's market, how he'll be a very big FA and future starter connected with Flynn... I'm just not sure I see it... like Jones and Jenkins markets weren't as big as a lot thought I think they might be us thinking higher of him than he is, because he's on our team.

I think Flynn could be a starter but remember not all starters are great. I think Flynn has the potential to become a Jeff Garcia type but even Garcia switched teams and wasn't made into a franchise guy and Flynn isn't there quite yet. I could see a team like the Browns/Seahawks say will give you a shot at starting but you have to compete for it and give him a Seneca Wallace/Tarvaris Jackson like offer. I could also the Packers trying to keep him.

Did a guy like QB Matt Cassel have a lot of value before he got a chance to go out on the field for a season, play and prove it?
UserPostedImage
beast
12 years ago

If Jackson can get the kind of money he did from Seattle.. there is no way Flynn is going to get less.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

The Seahawks haven't been smart with their QB money, Jackson has a lot more tape on him... has Flynn proved he's better? And Jackson had an "in" with the offensive coordinator... and they wanted Jackson as the starter. Their back-up has the same deal as Jackson and Jackson didn't want to be paid less than his back-up and the Seahawks knew that would be bad too.

I'm thinking between Seneca Wallace and Jackson numbers. And if the Packers are the only team to offer Wallace type numbers Flynn could be back just like Jones, who a lot thought he wouldn't be back, or thought that the only way he'd be back was at a big price tag.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago
I saw either Flynn as traded or Harrell as gone. No way we keep 3 QBs. No way.

We need the 53rd spot for something more important than carrying a clipboard. That's how 🇹🇹 and 🇲🇲 see it. Not at all implying I'm a voodoo mind reader but I'm willing to bet money if you kidnapped them and gave them truth serum, that's what they'd tell you.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (16h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (17h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (17h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (20h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (20h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.