Stevetarded
12 years ago

It was not an issue of scheme. Watch as one of our players runs wide into another lane, and then upon realizing it, slips and falls to ground trying to recover. I am sure that Slocum did not design his return team to leave a 10 yard gap in the middle of the return. There was one good block on the other side of that gap, but when you see two coverage men right next to each other that means someone screwed up. I am not going into defending Slocum overall, though I like what he has done with Masthay. But come on, that TD was not because of scheme.

Originally Posted by: Tezzy 

When there is an individual instance of players messing up then yeah it's probably not the scheme or coaching but when your coverage units are absolutely terrible for 3 straight seasons it gets hard to just blame it on individuals. That is all the coaches responsibility.
blank
Tezzy
12 years ago

When there is an individual instance of players messing up then yeah it's probably not the scheme or coaching but when your coverage units are absolutely terrible for 3 straight seasons it gets hard to just blame it on individuals. That is all the coaches responsibility.

Originally Posted by: Stevetarded 

It was merely a comment to an individual instance where it was said it was a scheme issue for that given play. Nothing more.

On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
all_about_da_packers
12 years ago

But come on, that TD was not because of scheme.

Originally Posted by: Tezzy 

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that it was result of scheme. But if you see the replay, that TD return does not happen unless Jordy Nelson is down field making his terrific block. If he whiffs, Cobb is gonna be hard pressed to score.

One of the jobs of a ST coach is to put his players in positions where they can make plays. Outside of Cobb being the KR, Slocum does have to figure out who exactly to place in what position so that he can give his unit the best chance to make a play.

Players mess up too, sometimes. That should not reflect only on the coach. Yes, Slocum does deserve criticism, but let's realize Sproles if a friggin hell of a returner, and that players who should have taken better angles (I think it was Kuhn who slipped when he tried to come back into the lane his running too far down field had created) also failed.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
That TD also doesn't happen if Kuhn doesn't essentially grab Cobb and push him out of his stumble. He looked like he was yelling at him to keep going. It was awesome.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
I vote for getting rid of Slocum also. Too bad for too long; even with giving him starters to use.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

That TD also doesn't happen if Kuhn doesn't essentially grab Cobb and push him out of his stumble. He looked like he was yelling at him to keep going. It was awesome.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree. I've watched the play many times, and Kuhn's assistance was not necessary nor balance dependent for Randall Cobb.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago

I know you're being sarcastic here...but you're actually correct. How would Slocum have anything to do with the innate natural talent of Cobb? Don't be arbitrarily diplomatic, son.

Originally Posted by: TwinkieGorilla 

I think in totality the blocking scheme of the return comes into play here, placing Cobb into the position to return the kickoff in the first place...

Don't be a condescending rube via the use of "son". [grin1]
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
beast
12 years ago

I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree. I've watched the play many times, and Kuhn's assistance was not necessary nor balance dependent for Randall Cobb.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I agree with that... and the Kuhn part might of even slowed him down a bit because he had to figure out what was going on... and Kuhn grabbed him. It was very cool to see but Cobb landed in a 3 point stances.

With out going back and looking at it to be sure Kuhn grabbing him might of helped in another way though. Kuhn grabbed him and he stumbled to in front of Kuhn.. and when they got started back up... Kuhn and a defender behind Cobb tangled legs and I think both fell... If Cobb just run straight and Kuhn didn't see the defender from behind the defender might of caught Cobb instead of his and Kuhn legs getting tangled and both guys falling... again that's with out rewatching it so i'm not sure that correct, just a maybe thing.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
12 years ago
I just got finished watching the play. Kuhn din not help Cobb get his balance. Kuhn made the move to help him but by that time Cobb was already catching his balance and Kuhn's arm never touched/helped Cobb. Cobb did it on his own.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
DakotaT
12 years ago

Don't be a condescending rube via the use of "son". [grin1]

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Some of us might be able to call Zero, son. But if he were my son, I would have wipped the smug right out of him long ago.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.