Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Several years ago, Gregg Easterbrook pointed out that the record of the average pundit in picking NFL winners on a weekly basis is little better than chance; a simple glance at the year-to-date records of the pundits on any major television or radio network show (say, Fox Sports) will reveal that some of the pundits will be at or even below .500 on their picks for the season. In the effort to be clever, or ride the current trendy bandwagon, or just listen to their gut, many pundits are flat-out wrong more often than not. In fact, Easterbrook pointed out, in a recent year (I think it was 2009), the following simple algorithm posted a better predictive record than all but one published pundit:

Season Record Algorithm

Pick team with better season record.
(if a tie) Pick home team.

"Gregg Easterbrook" wrote:

Sounds absurdly simple, but it works surprisingly well. The algorithm tends not to be extremely effective for the first two weeks of the season, but it did go 10-6 in both Weeks 1 and 2 for a combined record of 20-12 (.625), which isn't bad. (By way of comparison, Peter King is 26-6 or .781 over that same span.) It will be interesting to see how effective the algorithm is as the season progresses.

However, I think there are algorithms that could predict weekly winners with even more accuracy, so I have devised a couple that I believe will be effective. These algorithms will test the trope that "Offense wins games, but defense wins championships." I am intrigued by the fact that teams with the better defensive passer rating have been overwhelmingly successful at winning championships over the past for decades. Last year alone, the team with the better defensive passer rating went 10-1 in the playoffs. Likewise, it seems as though the teams with offensive juggernauts are the ones who tend to dominate in the regular season; think Kurt Warner, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Brett Favre. On the other hand, these teams don't always have the best records in the playoffs. Therefore, I predict that the offensive passer rating algorithm will have better predictive success in the regular season, while the defensive passer rating algorithm will be more effective in the playoffs. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Here are the two passer rating algorithms:

Offensive Passer Rating Algorithm

Pick team with better offensive passer rating.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Defensive Passer Rating Algorithm

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

And here is an algorithm I personally think would have the highest success of all:

Hybrid Passer Rating Algorithm

(if a tie) Pick team with better defensive passer rating.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Feel free to contribute and track your own algorithms in this thread. I would love to compare the efficacy of a variety of predictive strategies. I would especially appreciate it if members would volunteer to track an algorithm so I wouldn't have to do all the work myself.
UserPostedImage
Formo
12 years ago
You are such an effing geek.

And this is coming from a guy who's last Facebook status was, "Its super embarassing when my wifey catches me pretending to be HeMan. I was raising my invisible sword and whispering, "By the power of GraySkull" and she caught me. :/ 
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
Easterbrook is showing off his econ background. It's a basic technique of prediction that economists, particularly those inclined to telling macro stories, love: use an average of past performance to predict future performance.

Query: Which, if any, of the following yield the same predictions as Easterbrook's algorithm?

1. Let Xi = 1 if a win in week i, 0 if a loss, i=1,...,n where Xn is the last game. Then Y (prediction for week n + 1) = "Win" if (∑Xi )/i> 1, "Lose" if (∑Xi)/i < 1. If ∑Xi/i = 1, pick home team.
2. Let Xi = 1 if a win in week i, 0 if a loss, i=1,...,n where Xn is the last game. If ∑Xi (team A) >∑Xi(team 😎, predict team A to win in week n+1. If ∑Xi(team A) =∑Xi(team 😎, pick home team.
3. Let X = wins through n games for team A, Y = wins through n games for team B. If X > Y, pick team A. If X
Signed,
Geezer (but senile) geek.

Edit: See, this is why the goddam "slapnuts" macro or whatever it is has to go.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
macbob
12 years ago

Easterbrook is showing off his econ background. It's a basic technique of prediction that economists, particularly those inclined to telling macro stories, love: use an average of past performance to predict future performance.

Query: Which, if any, of the following yield the same predictions as Easterbrook's algorithm?

1. Let Xi = 1 if a win in week i, 0 if a loss, i=1,...,n where Xn is the last game. Then Y (prediction for week n + 1) = "Win" if (∑Xi )/i> 1, "Lose" if (∑Xi)/i < 1. If ∑Xi/i = 1, pick home team.
2. Let Xi = 1 if a win in week i, 0 if a loss, i=1,...,n where Xn is the last game. If ∑Xi (team A) >∑Xi(team 😎, predict team A to win in week n + 1. If ∑Xi(team A) =∑Xi(team 😎, pick home team.
3. Let X = wins through n games for team A, Y = wins through n games for team B. If X > Y, pick team A. If X
Signed,
Geezer (but senile) geek.

Originally Posted by: Wade 

Wade-it's possible to get around the macro. Check out the quote.

Looks like 2 & 3 would render the same results. Don't think 1 would as written, as it doesn't make any comoparison between the two teams.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

It's a basic technique of prediction that economists, particularly those inclined to telling macro stories, love: use an average of past performance to predict future performance.

Well, yes. The downside to this technique is that it is vulnerable to unexpected short-term fluctuations. It cannot compensate if, for example, Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers were to go down for a game; it would predict the outcome of the game as though they were still in the game. The upside to the technique is that it is immune to the hot-hand fallacy so prevalent among sports commentators. For example, Tom Brady threw for 511 yards last week, leading a gushing Peter King to proclaim that he could walk right into the Hall of Fame now if he wanted, and no doubt leading other sports commentators to overestimate what he will do this week. Given that Tom Brady is only the sixth NFL quarterback in league history to throw for 400 yards in two consecutive games (the fifth, incidentally, was Cam Newton, so I have to think that last week marked the first time two quarterbacks had ever accomplished that feat on the same day), Tom Brady is much more likely to revert back to a number more closely approximating his career average of 246 yards per game than duplicate his career-best performance. This predictive technique refuses to be overawed by Brady's historic feat and stubbornly predicts that his performance from week to week will probably be typical instead of anomalous. It may therefore be inaccurate in the short term, but just as level-headed poker players usually take pokers chasing the hot hand to the cleaners, it will probably kick the asses of the bandwagon-chasing sports commentators over the long haul. (I remember being shocked to watch pregame shows last year and see that some TV commentators were sporting prediction records as low as 6-10 and 7-9; they would have been better off pulling names out of a hat or asking a chimpanzee's advice.)

That being said, here are the predictions for this week.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

No sir, I do not see why the "goddamn" slapnuts must go.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Season Record Algorithm (20-12)

JAC (1-1) @ CAR (0-2): Jacksonville
DET (2-0) @ MIN (0-2): Detroit
 SF (1-1) @ CIN (1-1): Cincinnati
MIA (0-2) @ CLE (1-1): Cleveland
 NE (2-0) @ BUF (2-0): Buffalo
NYG (1-1) @ PHI (1-1): Philadelphia
DEN (1-1) @ TEN (1-1): Tennessee
HOU (2-0) @  NO (1-1): Houston
NYJ (2-0) @ OAK (1-1): New York
 KC (0-2) @  SD (1-1): San Diego
BAL (1-1) @ STL (0-2): Baltimore
ATL (1-1) @  TB (1-1): Tampa Bay
 GB (2-0) @ CHI (1-1): Green Bay
ARI (1-1) @ SEA (0-2): Arizona
PIT (1-1) @ IND (0-2): Indianapolis
WAS (2-0) @ DAL (1-1): Washington

Offensive Passer Rating Algorithm

JAC  40.0  @  CAR  89.1: Carolina
DET 113.2  @  MIN  71.3: Detroit
 SF  95.2  @  CIN 104.1: Cincinnati
MIA  79.4  @  CLE  82.2: Cleveland
 NE 128.0  @  BUF 102.3: New England
NYG  80.5  @  PHI  93.3: Philadelphia
DEN  85.4  @  TEN  94.2: Tennessee
HOU 100.4  @   NO 114.9: New Orleans
NYJ  87.7  @  OAK  99.7: Oakland
 KC  49.5  @   SD  90.8: San Diego
BAL  82.8  @  STL  75.1: Baltimore
ATL  85.1  @   TB  82.7: Atlanta
 GB 126.4  @  CHI  84.1: Green Bay
ARI 110.3  @  SEA  80.1: Arizona
PIT  80.4  @  IND  71.4: Pittsburgh
WAS  90.6  @  DAL  99.9: Dallas

Defensive Passer Rating Algorithm

JAC  90.1  @  CAR 124.1: Jacksonville
DET  60.0  @  MIN  87.4: Detroit
 SF  89.0  @  CIN  85.9: Cincinnati
MIA 120.4  @  CLE  78.0: Cleveland
 NE  95.4  @  BUF  85.5: Buffalo
NYG  92.5  @  PHI  83.0: Philadelphia
DEN  99.8  @  TEN  68.5: Tennessee
HOU  69.5  @   NO  95.6: Houston
NYJ  56.2  @  OAK  80.3: New York
 KC 114.3  @   SD 111.3: San Diego
BAL  74.3  @  STL  87.3: Baltimore
ATL 105.1  @   TB 102.1: Tampa Bay
 GB  92.9  @  CHI  94.8: Green Bay
ARI  91.3  @  SEA 106.4: Arizona
PIT 100.0  @  IND  89.2: Indianapolis
WAS  81.3  @  DAL  92.4: Washington

Hybrid Passer Rating Algorithm

JAC  @  CAR: Carolina
DET  @  MIN: Detroit
 SF  @  CIN: Cincinnati
MIA  @  CLE: Cleveland
 NE  @  BUF: New England
NYG  @  PHI: Philadelphia
DEN  @  TEN: Tennessee
HOU  @   NO: New Orleans
NYJ  @  OAK: Oakland
 KC  @   SD: San Diego
BAL  @  STL: Baltimore
ATL  @   TB: Atlanta
 GB  @  CHI: Green Bay
ARI  @  SEA: Arizona
PIT  @  IND: Pittsburgh
WAS  @  DAL: Dallas

UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago
Well, I guess we're a lock then to beat da Bears. 🖐
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago

No sir, I do not see why the "goddamn" slapnuts must go.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Fuker.

:)

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (5h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (8h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (10h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (12h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (12h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (12h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.