Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Alright, little background info...

2008 - hired on as a software programmer
2009 - company was bought out
2010 - new ownership moved me to Colorado with a two year commitment. If I break the commitment, or get fired, I have to pay back more than 55% of my current salary.

Late yesterday afternoon I learned there's an opening at Green Bay. A buddy of mine is leaving. Prior to leaving for Colorado, I helped him do his job because I had no manager and was getting my projects done early. I know the plant very well and feel I could do the job.

My question is ... do I ask about the position? If I do, how will that look? Will they think 'ok Kevin is trying to bail, lets find a replacement for him an can him'.

The buddy is going to tell them to bring me back to fill the position because hiring someone outside is going to take them a long time to get adapted, where as with me, after a week I'll up to speed.

I'm not sure what to do ... wait or approach my boss about it.
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
12 years ago
Kevin.

Do Not Ask For It Outright, but plant a subtle hint.

Send him an E mail:

Dear Mr. Boss

I noticed the job opening in our Green Bay facility.

I am very happy and committed to my work here in Colorado.

However... If there should be an opening in my home state of Wisconsin after my assignment here in Colorado please consider me for the position. It always nice to be near friends and family and I know my daughter would be so very happy to return home one day.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
That's the tricky part, making it known I'd like to be in consideration, without burning the bridges here.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago

Alright, little background info...

2008 - hired on as a software programmer
2009 - company was bought out
2010 - new ownership moved me to Colorado with a two year commitment. If I break the commitment, or get fired, I have to pay back more than 55% of my current salary.

Late yesterday afternoon I learned there's an opening at Green Bay. A buddy of mine is leaving. Prior to leaving for Colorado, I helped him do his job because I had no manager and was getting my projects done early. I know the plant very well and feel I could do the job.

My question is ... do I ask about the position? If I do, how will that look? Will they think 'ok Kevin is trying to bail, lets find a replacement for him an can him'.

The buddy is going to tell them to bring me back to fill the position because hiring someone outside is going to take them a long time to get adapted, where as with me, after a week I'll up to speed.

I'm not sure what to do ... wait or approach my boss about it.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I know neither your company nor your boss nor your industry, so I can only be vague and general. But for me, the question would depend on the particulars of your relationship with your supervisor.

If he's a good manager, ISTM, he shouldn't be bothered by your asking "should this be something I should be going for?" If he's a good manager, he should be doing things that help you in developing so you can "move up" in the company; he shouldn't be holding you back, but helping you help the company in ways that are more and more important.

After all, we're talking about another position in the same company, right? A company that says to a good employee, "you promised to stay doing X for us for two years even though there might be Y > X that you could be doing for us" is a company that is shooting itself in the foot. A supervisor that says "you promised you'd be mine for 2 years" isn't thinking about the company, but his little fiefdom. IMO two-year requirements should be about keeping you from leaving for another job with another company, not for keeping you from serving the company in different ways.

Now, if the supervisor then says, "no, I don't think you're ready/good for that job in Green Bay", you are going to have bigger risks if you continue to pursue. But if its a healthy work environment/relationship there, you ought to be able to make inquiries without fear of them thinking you are looking to bail.

Now if you don't have that healthy relationship, or if your supervisor is an incompetent/bad manager, it's different. Then you have to strategize everything. (IMO you should also then be working on an exit strategy for when the 2 years are up, but that's probably me the bitter, frustrated-as-hell-with-the-current-job projecting my situation on yours.) But if you've got a good relationship there, frankly, I think they should *want* you motivated enough to be keeping your eyes open for new possibilities in the company.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
DakotaT
12 years ago
If the job is a promotion to what you do now, there is no burning bridge and you can leave all the home state crap out of it. If the job is a lateral move, then you somewhat of a dilemma, but it doesn't sound like a big deal. In your emails lately, I get the sense you are homesick. Go home young man.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
The position would be IT Support, where as now I'm technically a .NET Applications Developer. It'd be a step back career wise, but nothing my determination, skill and determination couldn't recover from.

The position would entail fixing computers, installing software, rebuilding computers, fairly standard stuff that I've been doing for nearly 10 years. My buddy says I'd be able to do the job no problem, as proven by the final year I was in Green Bay.

The position would also be within the same company. I'd be going from Corporate headquarters to Plant, which is where I came from. I'd be going home, in two different means.

One thing that makes me seriously consider this is I haven't been used as a programmer here that much. I've been here one year and have been involved in a half dozen projects, one of which I was lead from start to finish. Basically, they could let me go and wouldn't miss me because Green Bay is eliminating my applications in the plant beginning October 23rd and completed the final phase in January.

I'm the kind of person who doesn't like being on cruise control collecting a paycheck, I like making a difference and earning my paycheck. It's something I strive for. At my current position, I don't feel my manager has confidence in me, and the lack of projects given to me supports this.

I'm sure I'd be lowered in salary, but I'd be okay with that because Wisconsin cost of living is a lot less than Colorado.

Edit, Wade, I wouldn't say the relationship is good or bad. I feel as a person, he's a great guy to shoot the shit with. I just feel he lacks certain managerial qualities needed to be successful. He doesn't make the team accountable for their mistakes and when he makes mistakes he puts it on the team, even if it was solely of his own.

I wouldn't ask him, I'd go to my boss.

And if after the two years is up and Keiana and I have not warmed up to the Colorado life, I do have a plan to stay and to exit. I actually had that formulated prior to accepting the relocation. When it comes to my daughter, I try to be three steps ahead.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago
If it is a step back in the hierarchy of the company.. it is a mitigated risk to assert interest at this point.

I am sure it is common knowledge or it may be, that you wish to go back to Wisconsin within the company.. but taking a step back would tell me as a manager one of three things or some combination of them all.

A) Kevin will be only a WI based employee and may limit his overall potential for growth within the company. IE.. it will reduce the potential for opportunities in the future.

B) He is struggling in his new role (if your direct supervisor indeed lacks trust in you) and has a ceiling on his overall growth within the company.

C) We can allow him to take the position at this time, but lets try and squeeze him for some of the relocation costs of previous.

A couple of considerations I would consider before inquiring..

How would the reduction of salary impact other obligations, especially any that may be only recalculated once a year. What are the hidden costs with breaking ties early here in CO outside of the job. Lease? School?

Personally.. with the economy as fragile as it is.. and with a couple of young folks that heavily depend on me.. I don't know that I would do it.

It is a risk.. no doubt there is a risk no matter how it is presented.

But as Wade noted.. that is a very neutral stance without a ton of direct knowledge of the companies workings.

If I was single and only myself to worry about.. I probably swing.. but that is my personal take.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I'd be screwed over on my lease, however, I posed the possibility to my landlord before signing the lease. She stated she'd give me leeway if I were to break the lease. One month penalty and loss of deposit. So, I'd be out 1,500, but I could easily make that up living with my Aunt for a month or two until I find the right place. My Aunt also lives in the same school district I had Keiana in previously.

Financially, I can afford to move right now-barely, thanks to getting paid today. I'd have to stay with my Aunt.

They may not decrease my salary, that's just something I expect. The position holds a higher importance to the plant, than I have currently with the headquarters. If that makes sense.

My current position, my responsibilities are being eliminated with nothing taking their place. I have one application that I'm responsible for outside of the GB apps. GB apps are being phased out with the last phase being January. The reasons they moved me here, are not coming through. I'm not programming hardly at all anymore. I'm doing more discovery and documentation.

I've told my manager I feel like I'm on cruise control and it's uncomfortable. He said not to worry about it, projects will come. Thing is, they come and they are going to the other five members of the team.

No one in the company has any idea that I have any desire to move back to Wisconsin. If asked, I say I'm enjoying it here and having a good time.

Howard school district is one of the best, it's a few rankings better than what she's in now.

With this position, it would be a big leap in responsibilities as I'd be a one man team supporting 200 users and the plant itself. Where as with my current position, I'm one of six supporting 4 dozen plants applications and I actually support only one application in four plants. And that support is minimal at best.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
12 years ago

Financially, I can afford to move right now-barely, thanks to getting paid today. I'd have to stay with my Aunt.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Trust me Zero, you can't afford the losses. But if you aren't happy in Colorado, then make the move. If you are happy there, stick it out and quit screwing yourself financially.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
I can afford the financial losses. The emotional gains of being back in Wisconsin I think would be priceless. There's a lot of reasons this position makes sense for me. Even if say after a year I'm not happy, then I go elsewhere, back into programming. Best part is, if I'm transferred, I'll have a JOB right away when I go back to Wisconsin. Rather than trying to find a job 1,000 miles AND finding a place to live in a good school district.

I sent an email to my boss, asking if we could discuss the position. I stated I was happy here, however, the opportunity to continue working for a great company, in a new challenging role AND being closer to my family is something I feel is worth inquiring upon.

We'll see what happens.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (7h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (8h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.