Greg C.
12 years ago
The Packers keep winning, and the defense keeps giving up lots of yards. Currently they are ranked 10th in points allowed, which is the most important defensive statistic, but 27th in yards allowed. That's a huge discrepancy. Part of the explanation is that they lead the league in interceptions with 13. We could see that principle in action at Minnesota, with Charles Woodson gambling repeatedly and coming up with two interceptions while also giving up some big plays.

I'm not confident that this approach is going to work in the playoffs, so I hope they can tighten things up as the season goes on. Some things that could help:

1. Sam Shields and Tramon Williams both need to be healthy. Those are the only two players they have who can reliably cover receivers downfield. Woodson is not in that category anymore.

2. They need an improved pass rush. The Neal injury really seems to be hurting them in this department, and he may not play at all this year. It's good to have Zombo back, but he may not be any better than Walden. I'm still hoping that So'oto might emerge, but I didn't even see him on the field against the Vikings. Raji doesn't seem to be getting as much push in the middle as he did last year. I'm not sure why.
blank
DoddPower
12 years ago

They need an improved pass rush. The Neal injury really seems to be hurting them in this department, and he may not play at all this year. It's good to have Zombo back, but he may not be any better than Walden. I'm still hoping that So'oto might emerge, but I didn't even see him on the field against the Vikings. Raji doesn't seem to be getting as much push in the middle as he did last year. I'm not sure why.

Originally Posted by: Greg C. 

It's probably because Raji and Matthews are the main two guys opposing offenses pay attention to. Cullen Jenkins isn't on the other side to balance things out. It's hard to beat double teams often, which I'm sure Raji and Matthews see on almost every play. Walden receives a single blocker often, but rarely seems to win.
DakotaT
12 years ago
If we weren't getting pressure on the QB's, we wouldn't have as many picks. Too many people around here are stat whores that worry about nothing. The only problem I have with our defense as is would be that I'd like to see better success on third down.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
12 years ago
Some more stats.

The Packers lead the league in net points, with + 89
The Packers lead the league in net points per game, about + 12.5.

I think I said this in week two or three, and I'll say it again. When the Packer's D loses a game, then I will start to worry. They have given up a lot of plays, but they have also been clutch when needed as well.
blank
peteralan71
12 years ago
We're getting a lot of pressure on the QBs and like DakotaT said, we're seeing the results in the interceptions. If McNabb would have played, we would have had 5 sacks last week. Ponder was VERY quick and was able to get out of a lot of situations where we had a ton of pressure on him.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
12 years ago

We're getting a lot of pressure on the QBs and like DakotaT said, we're seeing the results in the interceptions. If McNabb would have played, we would have had 5 sacks last week. Ponder was VERY quick and was able to get out of a lot of situations where we had a ton of pressure on him.

Originally Posted by: peteralan71 

We have played alot of QBs like that. Cam Newton for one. Brees can get rid of the ball FAST, although he's not a great scrambler. I also think alot of teams have used passing to try to keep up with us after they fall behind, so that factors in as well. A better pass rush would be great though. Sure wouldn't hurt!
I'm pretty disappointed in Neal so far. Dude needs to step up. Pass rush is the focus at the top of the draft this year, just like offensive line has been the last two years. Yeah I know, BPA. But you know what I'm saying.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
12 years ago
I'm definitely glad that the team is 10th in points and 27th in yards rather than the other way around.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
macbob
12 years ago
We're 7-0 and haven't been hitting on all cylinders yet this year. If they were playing like this and we were losing I'd be worried, but as long as the D gets things in hand in time for the playoffs, we'll be a very scary team.

Need to keep the pedal floored and get home-field advantage through the playoffs. I wouldn't want to face us at Lambeau if I were the other teams.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
12 years ago

We're 7-0 and haven't been hitting on all cylinders yet this year. If they were playing like this and we were losing I'd be worried, but as long as the D gets things in hand in time for the playoffs, we'll be a very scary team.

Need to keep the pedal floored and get home-field advantage through the playoffs. I wouldn't want to face us at Lambeau if I were the other teams.

Originally Posted by: macbob 

I'm not sure if home field advantage matters after what they did last year, but if nothing else, it would be great for the fans to see some playoff games at Lambeau Field. They deserve it.
blank
nerdmann
12 years ago

Originally Posted by: macbob 

Yeah, it's the mid-season lull. But we're so good now, that even during the lull, we still kick ass! If I had my preference, we'd focus a little more on time of possession, protecting the defense by keeping them off the field. But we're getting it done, so I won't bitch. I never worry about Capers.
Home field would be cool, but I'm not afraid of domes anymore. Not with this team. Might even be an advantage.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (10h) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (13h) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.