RashaanSalaami
12 years ago
Week 12 Metrics 

This is what you call a near exclusive nickel game for this defense. They didn't call one traditional run play against our base 3-4 front which we may have used on maybe a grand total of 5 snaps all game, if that. So if you think they had success running the ball (they did average nearly 6 yards a pop with running backs), that's why. The stats show they also only picked up 7 rushing first downs all game and at least one was on a Stafford scramble.

Loved the bracket coverage look we gave Calvin Johnson virtually all through the first half and even through the second. We kept him quiet and forced Stafford to beat us in other ways. I think the Lions could have had more success against this defense had Stafford made a couple fairly routine passes and a better read on the Francois pick, but that's the quarterback Stafford is right now...not great. It's the reason we can afford to play so much bracket coverage on Megatron. To his credit, Williams stepped up his game and put on a fantastic performance. The man did drop 2 easy picks though. I'm sure the guys were ribbing on him in the locker room about those. So while Stafford could have played better, our D could have had 2 more turnovers too, so take it how you want.

Woodson's in the zone right now. He's making excellent reads and taking calculated gambles. I think we're also benefiting from using him more in the role he's accustomed to playing at this point in his career...around the football and the LOS. His instincts and ball skills are still at the top of pack. He's having a legitimate Pro Bowl season again.

Loved that Shields' name was rarely called. He tends to have some of those games in him. Would love to see that man put it together consistently.

Thought Smith played very well for his first game action. Clearly looks like someone who has seen the field in his day. Looked like another Desmond Bishop out there quite honestly. Effective getting to the passer too! Would like to see more out of him. Francois looked athletic and not just on the pick play. While I want Bishop and Hawk back, I suppose I could wait and give these two another shot. I think our defense could cope without the two of them better than injuries to other positions.

Finally, Capers is really itching to use Matthews in coverage more. There's no reason he won't be an elite cover linebacker in this league (he basically is in the capacities he's used--not enough downfield video on him), but unfortunately he's also our best pass rusher, which is a slightly more valuable asset I'd say. Hope we can get another pure pass rusher and let this man patrol the underneath routes a little bit. Get him some more experience and he's going to come up with big plays in zone coverage...guaranteed.
blank
RashaanSalaami
12 years ago
@zombieslayer from last thread. The numbers on the far right are season totals. I should have the full season totals again next week as it is the end of the 3rd quarter.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
So if I am reading your chart correctly, opposing quarterbacks have a cumulative passer rating of 14.58 with an average of 3.25 YPA against Clay Matthews? That is mind-blowing! The only man on this defense who appears to be consistently getting lit up is Desmond Bishop, against whom opposing quarterbacks are throwing for a hefty 8.89 ypa (roughly Tom Brady's average on the season) for a passer rating of 122.4. He seems to be the one weak link on this defense.

Still, in aggregate, our starting defensive corps is holding opposing quarterbacks to a passer rating of 77.91, while our quarterback's passer rating is over 120. That is not only phenomenal, it is approaching historic.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

@zombieslayer from last thread. The numbers on the far right are season totals. I should have the full season totals again next week as it is the end of the 3rd quarter.

Originally Posted by: RashaanSalaami 

OK, cool. So yes, Woodson is looking like he's having another Pro Bowl season. I still want him to break the pick 6 record. He's 1 away from tying, and that's one thing I want for 2011 (in order of importance - the 3 things I want is the SB win after the season, 🇦🇷 to break P Manning's single season QB rating record, and Woodson to tie the pick 6 record this year).

Yeah, it is a shame CM3 is so good in coverage. I agree that pass rushing is more important.

Bishop is probably getting beaten by TEs and underneath shots to RBs and to be fair, opposing QBs have to take what they can get. What do you do if you're a starting QB and you got T Williams and Woodson alternating on your main receivers and Shields covering your 3rd receiver? You often have to dump it off. So is Bishop "bad" in coverage or is it because QBs are taking what they can get? That's a question I have for you Rashaan.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
RashaanSalaami
12 years ago

So if I am reading your chart correctly, opposing quarterbacks have a cumulative passer rating of 14.58 with an average of 3.25 YPA against Clay Matthews? That is mind-blowing! The only man on this defense who appears to be consistently getting lit up is Desmond Bishop, against whom opposing quarterbacks are throwing for a hefty 8.89 ypa (roughly Tom Brady's average on the season) for a passer rating of 122.4. He seems to be the one weak link on this defense.

Still, in aggregate, our starting defensive corps is holding opposing quarterbacks to a passer rating of 77.91, while our quarterback's passer rating is over 120. That is not only phenomenal, it is approaching historic.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Matthews, yeah, he good. He hasn't played too much man, but in the rare instances he has been counted on to do that, he's done just fine, like against Sproles Week 1.

Bishop isn't a particularly strong link in coverage. I think he's fairly overrated on this defense, but Hawk hasn't been much of a strength either. He's usually masked in coverage by Capers, which goes to show what they think of him in comparison to Bishop. Bishop is a decent guy in short zone, but I don't like the idea of having him run with his back to the line of scrimmage. Even though he's made a couple decent plays, he has been beat fairly badly.

Our passer rating differential IS ABSURD. Our defense would also look a lot better if we didn't play so lax in the 4th quarter, but I'm not complaining because it's worked well so far considering we're undefeated.
blank
RashaanSalaami
12 years ago

OK, cool. So yes, Woodson is looking like he's having another Pro Bowl season. I still want him to break the pick 6 record. He's 1 away from tying, and that's one thing I want for 2011 (in order of importance - the 3 things I want is the SB win after the season, 🇦🇷 to break P Manning's single season QB rating record, and Woodson to tie the pick 6 record this year).

Yeah, it is a shame CM3 is so good in coverage. I agree that pass rushing is more important.

Bishop is probably getting beaten by TEs and underneath shots to RBs and to be fair, opposing QBs have to take what they can get. What do you do if you're a starting QB and you got T Williams and Woodson alternating on your main receivers and Shields covering your 3rd receiver? You often have to dump it off. So is Bishop "bad" in coverage or is it because QBs are taking what they can get? That's a question I have for you Rashaan.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Honestly, I think it's a little bit of both. Towards the end of games, the defenses are "lighting" up the defense underneath which is where Bishop roams. When you get the underneath crossing routes at the end of games, backers get tired and the defense already plays more loose as is. I try to not hold backers individually responsible in these instances in obvious situations.

However, I think we have also used Bishop in man coverage a good bit more than I would like to see. He isn't particularly fluid and will struggle against tight ends down the field. When you consider the mold of tight ends in this league though, I think fewer and fewer inside backers are gonna be capable of running stride for stride with them. Of course, on the flipside, QBs are probably avoiding our perimeters because of whose out there.

In short, you ask a great question, that I don't think has a definite answer.
blank
zombieslayer
12 years ago
Yeah, I agree.

It isn't an excuse. It just is what it is. TEs generally beat LBs in today's NFL. That's why when we have to, we'll occasionally see Woodson take out the TE. Or am I seeing things? I think I remember Woodson sliding over to cover TEs a lot.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
RashaanSalaami
12 years ago

Yeah, I agree.

It isn't an excuse. It just is what it is. TEs generally beat LBs in today's NFL. That's why when we have to, we'll occasionally see Woodson take out the TE. Or am I seeing things? I think I remember Woodson sliding over to cover TEs a lot.

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

No, your vision seems to be 20/20 there. Think we've seen less of it this year, but some of that is probably due to the early season injury of Tramon. That and I think we've also played more zone this year, particularly when up multiple scores as we have been quite often.
blank
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (13h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (16h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (17h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (20h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (20h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (20h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.