Zero2Cool
12 years ago
What a shame.

Milwaukee Brewers left fielder and reigning National League MVP Ryan Braun has tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, according to ESPN.

A spokesman for Braun issued a statement, according to ESPN:

“There are highly unusual circumstances surrounding this case which will support Ryan’s complete innocence and demonstrate there was absolutely no intentional violation of the program. While Ryan has impeccable character and no previous history, unfortunately, because of the process we have to maintain confidentiality and are not able to discuss it any further, but we are confident he will ultimately be exonerated.”

If the finding is upheld, Braun faces a 50-game suspension. Braun had to submit a urine sample for testing during the playoffs and was notified of the positive test in late October; the positive result was triggered by elevated levels of testosterone in Braun’s system, according to ESPN.

Braun, 28, hit .332 with 33 home runs and 111 RBIs in 2011 while leading the Brewers to a 96-66 record and first-place finish in the NL Central.

The part about not intentionally breaking the program rules bothers me. Ignorance is no excuse. Professionals, PROFESSIONALS!!!

Ryan Braun is easily my favorite MLB player (and good friend with Aaron Rodgers), but I'm very disappointed.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
INNOCENT!
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
12 years ago
Innocent, reasonable doubt, OJ, what' the difference? Braun's whole career will be tarnished by this.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Braun's whole career will be tarnished by this.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Only by idiots who shouldn't breath the same air as us. Braun's sample was taken to someones home! Anyone who wants to shred Braun, yeah, complete idiot! No one knows what happened there, so to assume negatively is wrong.

If ESPN would not have blabbed, no one would have heard of it at all. People have the right to appeal.

I really despise wastes of skin who even after someone is relieved of charges, still assume guilt. It's a major flaw with this society and I wouldn't mind if each person like that fell over and died right this instant. This shit hits home with me on a very personal note.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago
I do not know all the details. I will say winning on a technicality  is not the same thing as being innocent.

Braun didn't argue evidence of tampering and didn't dispute the science, but argued protocol had not been followed. Multiple sources confirmed to ESPN investigative reporters Mark Fainaru-Wada and T.J. Quinn that Braun questioned the chain of custody and collection procedure.

MLB officials, however, argued that there was no question about the chain of custody or the integrity of the sample, and that Braun's representatives did not argue that the test itself was faulty.

According to one of the sources, the collector, after getting Braun's sample, was supposed to take the sample to a FedEx office for shipping.

But sources said the collector thought the FedEx office was closed because it was late on a Saturday and felt the sample wouldn't get shipped until Monday.

As has occurred in some other instances, the collector took the sample home and kept it in a cool place, in his basement at his residence in Wisconsin, according to multiple sources.

Policy states the sample is supposed to get to FedEx as soon as possible.

Braun's initial T/E ratio was more than 20:1. Sources previously confirmed synthetic testosterone in his system.

Sources said MLB is livid and is evaluating the possibility of suing in federal court to have Das' decision overturned, but that they did not expect a decision to be made until after Das issues his written report within the next week or so and MLB lawyers have a chance to review it. There are very limited grounds by which either party could sue, but sources said MLB officials believe Das' ruling was based on a faulty reading of the policy.

Braun's representatives are saying there was a difference in the ph balance of Braun's sample when it was taken at the time of the test and when it arrived at the lab in Montreal. A source said the director of the Montreal Olympic doping lab, Christiane Ayotte, testified during the hearing that it was not unusual for the balance to be different, as the equipment used in the field is not as sophisticated and accurate as the equipment in the lab. She also said she did not question the integrity of the sample and that it arrived with all seals intact.

Sources told Quinn and Fainaru-Wada the seals were totally intact and testing never reflected any degradation of the sample. Based on the World Anti-Doping Agency code, this is exactly what would have been expected to happen, and the collector took the proper action, the source said.

The source also noted that synthetic testosterone doesn't show up just because a sample sits in one place or another.

Travis Tygart, chief executive officer of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, called the decision "a real gut-kick to clean athletes."

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

I do not know all the details. I will say winning on a technicality  is not the same thing as being innocent.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

It's vastly different than being guilty. Do you know what happened to the sample, if anything? Didn't think so, so you have no room whatsoever to claim guilt. There's a chain of custody for a reason. I thought we had something that stated innocent UNTIL PROVEN guilty? No? Yes?

It will be interesting to see if Ryan Braun fails any more drug tests. If he does, all bets are off!
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

It's vastly different than being guilty. Do you know what happened to the sample, if anything? Didn't think so, so you have no room whatsoever to claim guilt. There's a chain of custody for a reason. I thought we had something that stated innocent UNTIL PROVEN guilty? No? Yes?

It will be interesting to see if Ryan Braun fails any more drug tests. If he does, all bets are off!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

chill dude. I am not saying guilty. I am not saying innocent.

The seals on the sample were not tampered with so it is highly unlikely that someone got in and messed with it. As the article stated having the sample sit over the weekend would not cause it to create large doses of synthetic testosterone.

They certainly did not get it sent off as soon as they weer suppose to and that is why Braun won his appeal. That still does not say he is innocent.

What will be really interesting to see if what his power numbers look like this year. If they stay the same or increase it is an indicator that he was telling the truth. If they dropped significantly it will make people wonder.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
12 years ago
Sorry, like I said, I absolutely HATE when people assume guilt or tarnish someone's reputation UNTIL they were PROVEN guilty. I've had it happen more than once and it's such a helpless, frustrating and furious feeling that does not leave you easily.

I am not saying he is innocent, in fact I said as much before, but to assume guilt or tarnish his legacy or to second guess his accomplishments is wrong. The issue I have is .. we do not know ... thus we should not discredit someone. I don't know if that point is being made clear on my part.

I understand where Rourke is coming from that Aaron Rodgers should shut up, but I think its Rourke who should shut up. 🙂 I'm glad he spoke out, glad he spoke with emotion and like the PFT article says ... if you can't speak out with emotion for a best friend who went through what Ryan Braun did ... what's the point?

wpr, I'm also interested in seeing his numbers this year. Very interested.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
12 years ago

wpr, I'm also interested in seeing his numbers this year. Very interested.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

You know I am a Cardinals fan. That said I want Ryan to hit 50 this year. Except for 2010 he has consistently hit low to mid 30's and his Slugging % has been .550+. Right now he is 28 which means he should be at his peak ability. If he pulls a hammy or an oblique and doesn't play as much it will look bad for him.

As far as I can remember I have felt bad every time a player has been suspected of getting juiced. (Bonds and Schilling.)
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
12 years ago

What will be really interesting to see if what his power numbers look like this year. If they stay the same or increase it is an indicator that he was telling the truth. If they dropped significantly it will make people wonder.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I do have one point in this regard... how do you quantify Braun's numbers in years past batting in front of Fielder to this season? People are going to pitch around Ryan more if the supporting cast behind him can't provide a threat. What if his numbers as a whole improve? Then what.. or how much of any decrease will be due to missing the big guy behind him.

(Personally, I think Ramirez will do just fine protecting Braun, but I am just illustrating that there is more in play than just his raw numbers for one season.)

On this whole deal.. I can't say he is guilty or not.. but the "neutral" party that reviewed all facts in the case, dismissed the charges. I have to buy that at face value until I can read his full report, and if that isn't published, well then it is what it is.

Personally, MLB has a couple of issues at its feet in this regard.

1) Find and plugging the leak of drug testing results until the appeal has been exhausted.

2) To tighten up its protocol for test to provide even less doubt. I am sure they can arrange for some type of "pick" up service on testing days. Additionally, they probably need to put a couple of more security measures in place to avoid this type of plea going forward.

The next challenge, the Fed Ex driver may have tainted the sample?

3) Answer the question why they didn't take Braun up on his offer to provide DNA to confirm that the sample was his?

Either way... I think Braun will be tested more frequently due to the test and we shall see if the 24 negative samples prove that this one positive sample was indeed a flaw in the system.

On Rodgers.. he has a right to his opinion just like the rest of us.. why should he not be able to voice it. He isn't a baseball player and has no affiliation with the Brewers or baseball past personal relationships. I have problems with players speaking out of turn, just don't see him speaking out of turn on this issue.

Braun maintains his innocence, challenged the results within the system afforded him and was granted a dismissal. Really, what else do the talking heads and Baseball want?
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (7h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (9h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (9h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (10h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (13h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (13h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (16h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (16h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
25m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.