buckeyepackfan
12 years ago

One positive that has come out of this whole situation is that PackerNation has come off its high horse. By that I mean, I think Packers fans of today are more realistic and reasonable. During the Favre era, the Packers' quarterback could do no wrong. No matter what happened, there was always an excuse, it was always someone else's fault. Now we as Packers fans can have level-headed discussions dissecting what goes wrong in a game without trying to cover for anyone. Most of all, I like that we can criticize our quarterback without rushing to make excuses for him. It's nice to be able to call him -- or anyone else on this team -- out for bad performance.

I hope we never see a personality cult in Green Bay again.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

REALLY? Good to see that you STILL take any and every situation possible to bash Brett Favre.

Good to know that you still don't get the game of football and never will.

Try looking up TEAM GAME!!!!!!!!!! BTW what I remember is Brett Favre getting blamed for EVERY loss The Packers had from about 1997 on.

I'm looking foward to the next 5 pages of this thread getting hijacked and everyone who hasn't had the chance for awhile to bash Brett one more time to do it.
[sarcasm]

Packers are 13-1, probably will finish 14-2, still the best record in The NFL.
Aaron Rodgers should be named MVP. If he is not it will be a travisty.

Aaron will receive votes not only for his performance this year but some voters will remember The Packers playoff run of last year and that will help.

Breese is having an amazing year, but some of his performances on the road will hurt him.

Brady will be the #2 voter.

MVP---Aaron Rodgers runner up Brady 3rd place Breese

I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
go.pack.go.
12 years ago
I agree that it should be Rodgers this year. I'm not arguing that at all. But I think other positions should get more consideration (not saying there's a different position this year that deserves it). It seems like every year that the MVP is whichever QB has the best year.
UserPostedImage
kobe16
12 years ago
Rodgers has to win MVP this year. He has been the most consistently great quarterback in the league this year. His team is 13-1 and he had his first overall bad game against KC on sunday. Brees is playing amazing but Rodgers should still get the vote for MVP. It might be close though.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

Good to see that you STILL take any and every situation possible to bash Brett Favre.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Nice job completely missing the point of my post and utterly misconstruing my intent. Point to a single word bashing Favre in the post -- you won't find it. Ever heard of assuming good faith?

If you seriously think he was blamed for every defeat after 1997, you weren't spending much time online -- or watching TV for that matter. Fans and commentators alike contorted themselves into pretzels trying to excuse his every mistake. I'm sorry if you were blind to that reality.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
12 years ago

This is too much of a reaction to one week. New Orleans doesn't play well outside of dome stadiums. I can't be the only person that sees this. The passing yardage record isn't a big deal. The Packers beat the Saints earlier in the year. The Saints may end up as the No. 3 seed in the NFC. There isn't enough there unless the Packers collapse and finish 13-3.

Brees would be lucky to get 10 out of 50 votes right now. Frankly, if Denver finishes 11-5, Tim Tebow may end up with more votes than Brees. Now that opens up a can of new worms. Rodgers will win it, though. This week was the exception to an outstanding season.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Brees
9 indoor games: 117.9, 257-353, 72.8, 2,931, 28-5
5 outdoor games: 95.7, 160-230, 69.6, 1,849, 9-6

Rodgers
3 indoor games: 126.2, 72-102, 70.6, 1,038, 7-0
11 outdoor games: 118.5, 250-371, 67.4, 3,322, 33-6

I believe the most telling statistic is Yards Per Attempt. Rodgers is averaging an insane 9.4 while Brees is at 8.0. It's not really a knock on Brees that he throws to his halfbacks a lot but it does account for a good amount of his yards. Basically, Rodgers throws the ball down field more.
RedSoxExcel
12 years ago

One positive that has come out of this whole situation is that PackerNation has come off its high horse. By that I mean, I think Packers fans of today are more realistic and reasonable. During the Favre era, the Packers' quarterback could do no wrong. No matter what happened, there was always an excuse, it was always someone else's fault. Now we as Packers fans can have level-headed discussions dissecting what goes wrong in a game without trying to cover for anyone. Most of all, I like that we can criticize our quarterback without rushing to make excuses for him. It's nice to be able to call him -- or anyone else on this team -- out for bad performance.

I hope we never see a personality cult in Green Bay again.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

This is crazy, I don't know how you come to that conclusion. Brett Favre got more than his share of blame for everything that went wrong with any Packers team. There are still people blaming him for the SB loss against the Broncos. How often do you hear people blame the Eagles game on Favre's OT interception and completely ignore 4th and F'n 26, 4th and 26! I still think those Packers team that everyone thinks should have won SBs were not as good as everyone thought they were - rarely was the D up to par and the divisions were weak and they usually got owned when they finally played a good team. But I never looked at it as anything other than "that's the way it goes with the QB position". If the Packers won, Favre got the praise, if they lost, he got the blame. Just like now, no QB can have it both ways. Yeah there were a couple of drops but overall, Rodgers had a bad game, his throws were off. Even on a bunch of those drops, they were catachable but they were not as accurate as he usually is. And that's fine, who cares, we're 13-1. Was he to blame anymore than the O-Line or whoever, no, but that's life in the NFL as a QB - rightly or wrongly.

But I don't think Rodgers gets any extra blame than Favre did and I don't think Rodgers gets any extra praise that Favre did not. It's the same situation, that's the QB position - look at Tim Tebow! They're winning arguably has more to do with the kicker and the D.
blank
RedSoxExcel
12 years ago

Brees

Rodgers

I believe the most telling statistic is Yards Per Attempt. Rodgers is averaging an insane 9.4 while Brees is at 8.0. It's not really a knock on Brees that he throws to his halfbacks a lot but it does account for a good amount of his yards. Basically, Rodgers throws the ball down field more.

Originally Posted by: djcubez 

That is why I think Brady is so much better than Manning (dome v. outside). But unfortunately the NFL voters don't really seem to take that kind of stuff into account. It will really come down to the next two games. If Brees passes Rodgers for TDs and Packers finish 14-2 v. Saints 13-3, it is going to be hard for them to not give it to Brees as he will break the completion % record and the passing yards record in the same year. Which could happen as Brees is playing in a Dome the last two games and Rodgers is playing in the cold the last two games.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago

Brett Favre got more than his share of blame for everything that went wrong with any Packers team.

Originally Posted by: RedSoxExcel 

Years later, perhaps. Not at the time. All I remember is the endless litany of excuses, the blaming of the rest of the team.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
12 years ago
I don't know which slurpers I like better, the Favres or the Bradys. All I know is that God says I must love you all!

Packer, Patriot, and Steelers fans are arrogant, spoiled and hated by the rest of the league.

Brett Favre deserved more criticism as a player in Green Bay than he ever received. He was protected by the media both locally and nationally. We put all these QB's on pedastals they can't possibly live up to so it is our fault as fans.

Rodgers has had a couple subpar games by the standards in which he set with his spectacular play. Critique away if you need to, but I'm pretty happy with his body of work so far.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
12 years ago

Brees

Rodgers

Originally Posted by: djcubez 

This is the kind of stuff I love seeing on PH.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷